Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safe to have a '17 LR Model-3 sit idle for ~11 weeks on a full charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Tesla Fam,

I currently live in Atlanta, and am planning on going back home to Los Angeles in late October. I was planning on being in LA through the first week of January.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with an extended period of letting your car sit idle, nearly ~11 weeks. My plan was to fully charge my Model 3 to 95%, and park it in my parking garage. Luckily the temperature around that time will be moderate, highest will be 70's and lowest will be 50's. I think the daily battery drainage SHOULD be minimal, and the charge would not go down to 0% by the time I come back... but that is wishful thinking lol

I was thinking of leaving my Tesla key card and garage FOB with a friend, and maybe having them charge the car just once in December. This is my backup plan, but would like to get yall's inputs on this situation. TIA!!

Reactions: Leeclanual
Perhaps the feedback in these threads will help you:

... car sit idle, nearly ~11 weeks. My plan was to fully charge my Model 3 to 95%, and park it in my parking garage ...
Bring the state of charge down to 50%, turn EVERYTHING you can OFF and don't check on the car with your app. I left a Chevy Bolt at 50% under a carport for around six months once and a second time when it was garaged. Was good as the day I left it when I came back to the car.

Rich

Rocking the 2017 LR. Love it.

Most I have done is 7 weeks. 90 percent and left it. Came back in the 50s. That was a couple years ago.

My 2017 when it initially came out until they worked on the vampire drain was pretty aggressive. Now I'm pretty confident that you would have no problem.

I would however leave the keys with a friend. 11 weeks is a long time for a parking garage sit. You never know what might happen in that period of time. Car might need to be moved or for some reason for maintenance or work on the garage. A trusted friend for sure. 😉

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
@VinayRaju21 - I wouldn’t leave the car sit with over 90% charge. 80% should be enough, but 90% would be OK. I also would not check the car with the app, waking it up, until halfway through your stay. I would only check this one time, and if the SOC was too low, you can use the app to unlock and start the car remotely for a friend to move it to a charger.

The easiest would be to leave it plugged in with the charge level set to 50% (the lowest setting allowed).

If not possible to leave it plugged in, charge it only to the level needed so that vampire drain over 11 weeks will not bring it down to 0% (or whatever is needed to drive it to where it can be charged).

Reactions: rpiotro