Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety of rear passengers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the roof and the back window are one piece without a structural support over the head of the rear passengers, how safe would the rear passengers be in case of a rollover?
Your premise is incorrect. The roof and back windows are two separate pieces, and there is support over their head. So, the answer is "safe."

model-3-2016-silver-overhead-motortrend.jpg

Your premise is incorrect. The roof and back windows are two separate pieces, and there is support over their head. So, the answer is "safe."

I see your point. This a great picture. I still don't see a structure over the heads of the rear passengers. I realize there is structural support over the heads of the front passengers. So in case of a rollover the highest part of the roof has a structure that acts like a safety cage. What happens when the back part part of the roof hits something in a rollover. This is a different design than the MS and any other car that I can recall.

But just as important, cars with a low center of gravity are not as prone to rolling over.

"Musk and Tesla engineers claim that the Model X will be the first SUV or minivan to receive a five-star rating in every subcategory—including rollover, where even the best current offerings fall short. "In the Model X, the probability of a rollover injury is half that of the next-best SUV or minivan," Musk says. That's thanks to the extremely low center of gravity afforded by mounting the half-ton battery pack in the floor of the Model X. One engineer said that it lands on its feet "like a cat" in all but the most severe crash scenarios."
The Seven Craziest Things About the Tesla Model X

Edit: yeah what Kruggerand said.

Reactions: Red Sage
I agree with the sentiment that it'll be a hard car to roll. But I get what the OP is saying...I had a similar thought...if part of the reasoning behind having glass about the rear passengers' heads is so that they have head room, does that leave them possible vulnerable between the supports running on the sides of the cars if something were to impact the glass in the rear? Something I don't think I or most could 100% answer until we can sit in the back seat of the car and experience it.

I agree with the sentiment that it'll be a hard car to roll. But I get what the OP is saying...I had a similar thought...if part of the reasoning behind having glass about the rear passengers' heads is so that they have head room, does that leave them possible vulnerable between the supports running on the sides of the cars if something were to impact the glass in the rear? Something I don't think I or most could 100% answer until we can sit in the back seat of the car and experience it.
I don't think anyone can answer the question by sitting in the car and experiencing it.

I think we will know, however, when the crash test data is available. I trust that far more than sitting in the car.

I don't think anyone can answer the question by sitting in the car and experiencing it.

I think we will know, however, when the crash test data is available. I trust that far more than sitting in the car.

yes true. I didn't mean they'd know for sure, but would have a better sense for it than having never been in it.

I believe the recent Model S accident near Munich involved a rollover (photos suggest end over end?). In this case, all 5 teenagers survived, highlighting the safety of rear seat passengers. If Model 3 performs in the same way, the rear seat should be similarly safe.

It sounds like the concern is that the roof panel is not metal but glass and that might compromise the structure.

Do a Google image search for "ultra high strength steel" and notice how the car chassis renderings don't even bother to highlight the roof panel material. They only highlight the frame material used for the pillars and door arches.

...it's as if the roof panels could be glass and not matter.

Do a Google image search for "ultra high strength steel" and notice how the car chassis renderings don't even bother to highlight the roof panel material. They only highlight the frame material used for the pillars and door arches.
NoTDI's point is that the model 3 is missing a crossmember that it normally in the vicinity of the back passenger's heads, not that the metal panels are useful.