Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety restraint system fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

Got this error message yesterday, which comes and goes (the red warning triangle and info on the screen), and the airbag symbol is red. Ive tried restarting, power off, Googled the error messages (rcm_d048, rcm_d064), with No luck. First service appointment Not available until mid january....

Anyone experienced this? Its a Model X Long Range bought dec 2020, 13.000km driven. Firmware 2021.40.6. Startes appearing right after that update. Maybe 10-15km driven

Thanks in advance. Have a nice day!

Kristian

This happened to my Model 3 at 70,000, miles out of warranty. I had to take to the service center for the tune of some $160 I believe. Sorry not sure of the costs as I had a cracked windshield, and they replaced/repaired my upper control arms all for around $1350. Frustrating but not sure I had an option.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response!

Yeah, the message keeps popping up, then it may disappear. And some rides it does not even pop up. Can't find any clear consistency on why it pops up, but it first happened when driving into a parking lot with a tiny "speed bump", and a few more times with similar "bumps" to the car. But it has also happened when driving on flat surface, and even when just putting the car in drive.

Went to the service center, and as usual they couldn't say anything, needed to take a look on it. Cant see any connectors under any of the seats being loose, and/or any wires being clamped by the seat, which i read some TM3 and TMY have had problems with.

Almost starting to suspect it being a issue with the last update since it happened on the first drive after it being installed. But hey, you never know.

Will post what they find out after the service appointment for future references.

It just happened to my 2021 MSLR. I think it has to do with the driver’s seatbelt sensor, since I had it buckled a couple of times and the car kept on ringing the no seat belt alarm.

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm suffering what appears to be a similar issue...

Attachments

• IMG_2846.jpeg
    IMG_2846.jpeg
    470.9 KB · Views: 1,588
Did you ever get this resolved? I'm suffering what appears to be a similar issue...
Nah not yet. Earliest appointment for service was 7.january. And the message dissapeared for a few days, then came back again. Really annoying since the message don't clearly tell whats wrong. It can be many things... So I will post what they find out after the service appointment.. In a month...... To many broken teslas in this town, way to small service center.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
So, finally got an appointment for this issue, and of course the warning went away the same day as the appointment. They still had the history though, but couldn't find anything that was clearly wrong, and could not replicate the issue. So what they did while the car was at the service center for 3 days was:
Removed parts for access: Front seats, lower Bpillar trim, all 4 door sills, center console, air duct under the center console, RH door panel measured and inspected, then reassembled the whole thing.

Basicly, disconnecting lot of wires and reconnecting them again, but mostly focusing on the front seats. Haven't had the warning pop up again so far, but only driven 20 minutes or something. The issue pointed towards a bad connection somewhere. Hoping that it's gone now, but time will tell.

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
So, finally got an appointment for this issue, and of course the warning went away the same day as the appointment. They still had the history though, but couldn't find anything that was clearly wrong, and could not replicate the issue. So what they did while the car was at the service center for 3 days was:
Removed parts for access: Front seats, lower Bpillar trim, all 4 door sills, center console, air duct under the center console, RH door panel measured and inspected, then reassembled the whole thing.

Basicly, disconnecting lot of wires and reconnecting them again, but mostly focusing on the front seats. Haven't had the warning pop up again so far, but only driven 20 minutes or something. The issue pointed towards a bad connection somewhere. Hoping that it's gone now, but time will tell.
Thanks for the update. Let us know if anything changes!

Thanks for the update. Let us know if anything changes!
Yeeeahh, its back again ;D haha. It came back today when driving to the kindergarten. SO my best guess is some sensor is on the fritz in the backseat where one or both of my kids sits. Took the car seats out when delivering to the service center in case the car was gonna sit there for a long time, and thats probably why they could not replicate it. So what baffles me is that even WITH the error codes, they couldn't figure out what was wrong and where. Are those codes just random? Dont they have any form of "manual" where they can read what code states what?

WELL, just have to book a new appointment then. Now the waiting period is 2 months. Tesla seriously needs to up the number of service centers in this town. They are pumping out cars here in Norway, but not scaling for the demand of service. It seriously bad that you have to wait 2 months to get something as a "Safety restraing system fault" checked, and when they do check it, does something, and it doesn't work and you have to wait another 1/6 of a year. Over booked and over worked at that center. Not much they can do about it...

Yeeeahh, its back again ;D haha. It came back today when driving to the kindergarten. SO my best guess is some sensor is on the fritz in the backseat where one or both of my kids sits. Took the car seats out when delivering to the service center in case the car was gonna sit there for a long time, and thats probably why they could not replicate it. So what baffles me is that even WITH the error codes, they couldn't figure out what was wrong and where. Are those codes just random? Dont they have any form of "manual" where they can read what code states what?

WELL, just have to book a new appointment then. Now the waiting period is 2 months. Tesla seriously needs to up the number of service centers in this town. They are pumping out cars here in Norway, but not scaling for the demand of service. It seriously bad that you have to wait 2 months to get something as a "Safety restraing system fault" checked, and when they do check it, does something, and it doesn't work and you have to wait another 1/6 of a year. Over booked and over worked at that center. Not much they can do about it...
Such a joke. So disappointing I’m sure. I agree - why even have these error codes if they can’t figure out what’s wrong with them or what they pertain to. Just idiotic…

Got this fixed last week. For further references if this happens to anyone else : wire harness inside front right passenger door was replaced. Wires have been exposed due to bad isolation, so It touched ground or something. The warning has been gone since. The weird part is that the error code did not give them any pointers the first time they had It, and worked on it for 25 hours. This time they spent 3 hours, including fixing the speech command button on the steering wheel (It activated on honking the horn..., they changed that too).

Got this fixed last week. For further references if this happens to anyone else : wire harness inside front right passenger door was replaced. Wires have been exposed due to bad isolation, so It touched ground or something. The warning has been gone since. The weird part is that the error code did not give them any pointers the first time they had It, and worked on it for 25 hours. This time they spent 3 hours, including fixing the speech command button on the steering wheel (It activated on honking the horn..., they changed that too).

Good to know for that particular error. Thank you.

The check-engine light isn't ideal, but at least an OBDII port scan will reveal the origin.
Well that is exactly what you got from the Tesla without having to take it in for an OBDII scan. Not only that, but the Service option in the app will suck in all the logged codes from the car automatically, when opening a service ticket on your phone.

Last edited:
Well that is exactly what you got from the Tesla without having to take it in for an OBDII scan. Not only that, but the Service option in the app will suck in all the logged codes from the car automatically, when opening a service ticket on your phone.
Sure, but service don’t always fix these errors. I know my service center was pulling the car apart to fix it and it still took several visits.

We have 2021 Model S Long Range. The car has been serviced multiple time for the safety restraint system needing service. They service the vehicle it goes away and then returns a few weeks later. Has anyone had similar problems that have not been resolved?
95741274-9945-47D1-BE73-0AE4F13D8C5E.jpeg

Good to know! I have brought my Plaid in twice for this issue (popped on and then off again), however was told it was a firmware issue and would be fixed on a future (tbd) date. If it comes on again I will know what to tell them the next time!

I don't have this on the refresh, but I did run into this for my model s plaid manufactured week 2 when they started in June of last year. The third visit finally fixed it. They changed two harnesses and that didn't work. Then had the master technician look at it and they finally replaced the restraint control module/ECU. That fixed it! Now all is good now. I use to get the restraint issue anytime when my car hit some uneven pavement and i'm talking about small bump or unevenness would trigger it.