Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Restraint System Fault / Aftermarket Accessories / Service Center Won’t Repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

PauliePucks

3rd Party Accessory Junkie
Oct 29, 2021
NJ
Hoping someone can help me out with my 2019 m3 sr+. I have been getting a safety restraint system fault error over the last few weeks. Took it to tesla and the SC’s telling me my aftermarket accessories need to be removed before they can diagnose the issue…

I have a power frunk and power trunk installed along with a hansshow Linux heads up display. After I started getting the safety restraint system fault error, I disconnected the hansshow display to see if that helped resolve the issue, and it did not.

I brought it to the service center, they are telling me that the aftermarket accessories are causing the communications system to throw the error that I am experiencing and they cannot replicate it, nor can they fix it with the aftermarket accessories installed.

The SC has offered to fix the vehicle if the accessories are removed and did not charge me this time, so I am grateful that they are giving me that opportunity; I just can’t figure out how removing the power frunk and trunk would potentially fix the safety restraint system fault.

Has anyone had anything similar happen? Or, is anyone aware of the CAN connections from power frunk and power trunk impeding the safety restraint system communications? They have both been installed for over a year and I have never had these issues before.

I am on FSDb 10.69.2.3 (2022.20.19) if that helps.

Chalk that up to lesson learned: Putting unexpected stuff on the system bus is a bad idea. It's a doubly bad idea if you're expecting any level of support.

Totally reasonable position on their part - if that thing is injecting commands onto the CANbus - or hell, even inducing voltage onto the wiring harness - that can be a bad time, and an absolute bear to troubleshoot.

Low voltage signaling is a tricky monster when it's working -- but putting random components from random suppliers in random spots on the bus? Recipe for a troubleshooting rathole, at best.

Chalk that up to lesson learned: Putting unexpected stuff on the system bus is a bad idea. It's a doubly bad idea if you're expecting any level of support.

Totally reasonable position on their part - if that thing is injecting commands onto the CANbus - or hell, even inducing voltage onto the wiring harness - that can be a bad time, and an absolute bear to troubleshoot.

Low voltage signaling is a tricky monster when it's working -- but putting random components from random suppliers in random spots on the bus? Recipe for a troubleshooting rathole, at best.
All the suppliers are the same, these components have been installed for quite some time and have also been updated to coincide with various OEM firmware updates.

I am fully aware of the inherent risks associated with installing aftermarket products, and I have no issue with teslas stance, which I stated I was grateful for.

If this was a voltage issue it’s quite an easy diagnosis, remove the power to frunk and trunk and disconnect the canbus connections. Nothing tricky or fickle about it really. There have been no voltage warnings, just the safety restraint system one and a “vehicle hold feature unavailable” which is intermittent. I’ve even see these attributed to a bad TPMS sensor.

I was curious if anyone has experienced this fault with these specific addons as I do not believe they tap into the safety restraint system in any capacity (there are many others in this forum with power frunk and trunk accessories installed.)

Wow…

Not sure where nonsense comes into play in anything I wrote - I purchased my 2 components from the same manufacturer. I researched the manufacturer before purchasing and also made sure they provided consistent updates for their products and has solid customer support. They have delivered on both without issue, and have even helped me out in this particular instance. Whether they’re Chinese or not is completely irrelevant, I was explaining that I had kept the firmware on my products up to date as per the manufacturer’s recommendations. The company is EVOffer (TeslaOffer) and I would recommend their products to any member here because of their great customer service and also their constant product firmware updates and support. They have an entire GitHub page dedicated to their products and updates. To my knowledge, they’re the only aftermarket accessories supplier that do this and it’s a main reason I chose to go with them for my purchase.

I simply asked for other’s experience with my situation, if any, to get additional insight as maybe something similar has happened to another member before. Shame on me for that it seems!

Reactions: jjrandorin
Tough crowd… Sorry to hear about the error code you are getting. Personally, I think it’s more random than anything else, since I’ve not heard of anyone else with the more commonly installed aftermarket accessories (like a power trunk/frunk, ambient light kits, HUD, etc…) getting any type of safety restraint system fault message. My best guess is one of your installed accessories may have recently started generating some type of voltage drop/rise, which may be causing your vehicle to throw this particular error code.

You probably already know that this type of bug can be very difficult to trace, and the only/next logical step is by process of elimination. So, start by disconnecting the power trunk/frunk from the vehicle’s CANbus to see if that helps. If not, then completely disconnect (the 12V) power to the power trunk/frunk, and restore/reconnect all OEM wiring harnesses.

For reference, I have the power trunk and frunk from Hansshow. I personally installed and have been using them for over 3 years, and they have worked flawlessly from day 1. Zero issues/problems.
Note, the version I have is NOT connected to my vehicle’s CANbus, which was the primary reason why I chose/purchased from Hansshow instead of EVOffer/TeslaOffer. When I was researching and bought the power trunk 3 years ago, the TeslaOffer product required a connection to the CANBus, which I did not like. Just precautionary on my part (to not tap into the vehicle’s CANbus). As we all know, most folks who tap an accessory into the CANbus have zero problems. But, of course, a few do (have problems).
By the way, I’m also on FSDBeta version 2022.20.19

Sorry I cannot offer a more solid/sure cause for your error code. Good luck with the trouble-shooting and keep us posted!!

Edit/update: I just found this other thread from 2019 about a safety restraint system fault, which may help you…

Last edited:
Wow…

Not sure where nonsense comes into play in anything I wrote - I purchased my 2 components from the same manufacturer. I researched the manufacturer before purchasing and also made sure they provided consistent updates for their products and has solid customer support. They have delivered on both without issue, and have even helped me out in this particular instance. Whether they’re Chinese or not is completely irrelevant, I was explaining that I had kept the firmware on my products up to date as per the manufacturer’s recommendations. The company is EVOffer (TeslaOffer) and I would recommend their products to any member here because of their great customer service and also their constant product firmware updates and support. They have an entire GitHub page dedicated to their products and updates. To my knowledge, they’re the only aftermarket accessories supplier that do this and it’s a main reason I chose to go with them for my purchase.

I simply asked for other’s experience with my situation, if any, to get additional insight as maybe something similar has happened to another member before. Shame on me for that it seems!

(moderator note)

I am going to do something I dont do that often and put on my moderator hat while replying to a content post. This means that this response is from "jjrandorin the moderator" , not from "jjrandorin the regular poster", and is my moderator opinion.

I agree with you that the manufacture location of the aftermarket accessories is not at all relevant to this thread. I also think that it was pretty clear from the thread OP that you were mentioning that Tesla would not cover the repair as more an "informational" point in asking if anyone else with these accessories had seen this issue. These particular accessories are fairly popular here on TMC so this is not an outlier type question, in my opinion.

OP also fully acknowledged, in this thread, they are aware of the potential for lack of support when one installs aftermarket accessories, and accepts that:

I am fully aware of the inherent risks associated with installing aftermarket products, and I have no issue with teslas stance, which I stated I was grateful for.

So, I would like the thread to focus on if anyone else with these fairly popular accessories has this issue, since there is already acceptance by the OP of the "why" Tesla will not investigate without removal of the accessories.

Thanks

Tough crowd… Sorry to hear about the error code you are getting. Personally, I think it’s more random than anything else, since I’ve not heard of anyone else with the more commonly installed aftermarket accessories (like a power trunk/frunk, ambient light kits, HUD, etc…) getting any type of safety restraint system fault message. My best guess is one of your installed accessories may have recently started generating some type of voltage drop/rise, which may be causing your vehicle to throw this particular error code.

You probably already know that this type of bug can be very difficult to trace, and the only/next logical step is by process of elimination. So, start by disconnecting the power trunk/frunk from the vehicle’s CANbus to see if that helps. If not, then completely disconnect (the 12V) power to the power trunk/frunk, and restore/reconnect all OEM wiring harnesses.

For reference, I have the power trunk and frunk from Hansshow. I personally installed and have been using them for over 3 years, and they have worked flawlessly from day 1. Zero issues/problems.
Note, the version I have is NOT connected to my vehicle’s CANbus, which was the primary reason why I chose/purchased from Hansshow instead of EVOffer/TeslaOffer. When I was researching and bought the power trunk 3 years ago, the TeslaOffer product required a connection to the CANBus, which I did not like. Just precautionary on my part (to not tap into the vehicle’s CANbus). As we all know, most folks who tap an accessory into the CANbus have zero problems. But, of course, a few do (have problems).
By the way, I’m also on FSDBeta version 2022.20.19

Sorry I cannot offer a more solid/sure cause for your error code. Good luck with the trouble-shooting and keep us posted!!

Edit/update: I just found this other thread from 2019 about a safety restraint system fault, which may help you…
Thanks, as always, GH! I’m picking up my car later today, will see if I can triage a bit over the weekend if it’s not a washout.

See if you can disconnect without actual removal. I had identified an issue with the Tesla app that kept waking the car every few minutes 24/7. They insisted it was an aftermarket device. I removed everything and put back to factory and issue persisted. It was only then the rep escalated. Suddenly, the Tesla engineers wanted to know everything I had and all my data (from some of those devices). They fixed it.

Reactions: PauliePucks
This seems like a bad situation to fall back to that policy. Given its a safety system I would think they would want to look at it to avoid potential litigation later. The Magnuson-Moss Act is pretty clear they cant deny warranty based on modifications that don't directly affect the work that needs to be done. If you get in an accident with that error on and Tesla has refused to look at it I would imagine you could get a lawyer capable of getting a settlement.

So the SC was actually very cool about the whole thing…but…the tech did document everything with photos, they assured me it was just to explain to me where the issues could stem from, which i do appreciate them doing. There was no threat, nor is there any imminent threat of warranty being denied or not honored - I made sure of that with the manager, but they won’t look at the car with these accessories installed, for these specific errors. They told me they would take care of any issues that come up if the AM equipment is removed and they have a baseline to work off of, which I thought was fair. All in all, I had a loaner for a week, and wasn’t charged anything. They could have easily charged me a diagnostic fee here and would have been justified, but they didn’t.

One odd thing is my car updated to 10.69.2.4 while it was in service and the errors have not come up since I picked up the car. The tech noted that they did not experience the errors the time the car was there either. (I provided video of them happening)

I have also spoken to evoffer and they have not had any software issues but are investigating on their end to try to help.

Thanks to all for the input…work in progress still

Can you just remove the fuse to the power frunk and trunk? Seems so odd, I'd want to take it to another SC, but presumably they put some notes into your record.
Not as simple as that, but it’s honestly not very difficult, the kits are all “jumper” style wiring; they take the factory wire harness and split it to power/signal the latches or motors.

It won’t take me very long to get the wiring back to factory, maybe 20/30 minutes for trunk and frunk. It’s the wiring routing that takes the most time, I’m not undoing that at this junction.

Edited to add that I could risk bricking the ECUs by not fully removing the wiring connections. Better safe than sorry, don’t need the frunk getting stuck closed and having to go back to the SC to have them release it with my tail between my legs lol

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
So the SC was actually very cool about the whole thing…but…the tech did document everything with photos, they assured me it was just to explain to me where the issues could stem from, which i do appreciate them doing. There was no threat, nor is there any imminent threat of warranty being denied or not honored - I made sure of that with the manager, but they won’t look at the car with these accessories installed, for these specific errors. They told me they would take care of any issues that come up if the AM equipment is removed and they have a baseline to work off of, which I thought was fair. All in all, I had a loaner for a week, and wasn’t charged anything. They could have easily charged me a diagnostic fee here and would have been justified, but they didn’t.

THAT is how service is supposed to be! Do you mind if I ask which service center you were? I think the world of pretty much all of them in our area - they kinda set the bar for service... Most of the complaints I see here on TMC just don't happen here!

Glad to hear things worked themselves out. Sounds like just something random that previously caused your error codes.
Your local SC definitely went above & beyond to help you. I‘m also fortunate enough to have a local SC with a similar attitude and willingness to help. Sounds like many other forum members are not so lucky in their SC interactions.

Now, get out there and purchase/install the next accessory!! 🤣

THAT is how service is supposed to be! Do you mind if I ask which service center you were? I think the world of pretty much all of them in our area - they kinda set the bar for service... Most of the complaints I see here on TMC just don't happen here!
Springfield NJ. The service staff there is awesome, never one complaint, the mobile rangers are great too.

Reactions: dmurphy
100%. Great service center; I’ve talked about them a few times here at TMC. (I’m just west in Parsippany…). We’re in great shape between Paramus and Springfield!
I try to stick w Springfield as Paramus is typically insanely busy, but I have had good experiences there. I’m not too far from you, I’m in Madison.

BTW - hoping you never do need it, but Collision Restoration on Clinton Road off 46 is absolutely stellar for body work and is a tesla certified shop. I hit a deer on Eisenhower parkway last year and they were fantastic getting Robocop back to factory shape (even fixed factory panel gaps that tesla refused to) and looking better than delivery day.

I try to stick w Springfield as Paramus is typically insanely busy, but I have had good experiences there. I’m not too far from you, I’m in Madison.

BTW - hoping you never do need it, but Collision Restoration on Clinton Road off 46 is absolutely stellar for body work and is a tesla certified shop. I hit a deer on Eisenhower parkway last year and they were fantastic getting Robocop back to factory shape (even fixed factory panel gaps that tesla refused to) and looking better than delivery day.

You’re literally right down the road! And you are absolutely right about CR — can’t believe you mentioned them! I actually just picked up my Model 3 on Friday from them; had some damage from road debris on I-80. Eddie, Nicole & John over there are ROCK STARS! Long story best told over a beer but we got acquainted a few years ago after a deer tried (unsuccessfully) to mate with my wife’s car. Here’s a photo of my 3 from Friday - it’s better than new. They’re exception folks; couldn’t be nicer too.

Hope you consider joining our local Tesla Owners’ Club - www.dvto.club - I actually lead the NNJ chapter so always looking for local folks to join our meetups. First round’s on me at the next meetup!

Attachments

• 2253856A-1A3D-42AF-96DC-91DB487E88EA.jpeg
    2253856A-1A3D-42AF-96DC-91DB487E88EA.jpeg
    451.9 KB · Views: 146
  • Love