Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Safety Score

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 71681055 mph zone, as a safe driver what would you do? You have 1/10th of a second to react.
I'd start to break to make sure he isn't pulling into my lane. If it seems like he's going into my lane I'd break harder and honk to get other people around us to slow down too and to hopefully have him realize he's made a mistake so he pays better attention next time.

I'd start to break to make sure he isn't pulling into my lane. If it seems like he's going into my lane I'd break harder and honk to get other people around us to slow down too and to hopefully have him realize he's made a mistake so he pays better attention next time.

This is the wide angle camera, so he was effectively right in front of me (10 ft @ 55 mph) when he put the pedal to the metal, probably not meaning to enter my lane.

I would provide video but the save button lost the most important bits.

Last edited:
I completely agree, I've seen no dings on autopilot at and I have experimented quite a bit over the last 6 days after having a terrible first day score.

After some careful experimenting, I have noticed that if I follow and break even more carefully than the way autopilot does I'll get dinged for following too close and aggressive breaking when approaching stop lights, even though I'm being much more smooth and subtle that AP does. Also, I have noticed on a very short freeway test, I was in Autopilot following a car on 1 car length for 5-10 minutes, got no dings after a quick stop/exiting the car and checking the score. Then, I did the exact same thing, but then turned off Autopilot for a mile and kept the same or slightly longer distance than AP - and I got dinged for following too closely.

I then drove straight through the town, 10-20 stop lights and let Autopilot do everything, with crazy aggressive following and stops at times, and one crazy fast curve it took without slowing down the way it should have - but I DIDN'T have to intervene so I didn't. Perfect score! If I'd driven like that (based on first day of driving much better than AP) my score would have been all dings for all categories.

Kind of crazy game to be
He didn't guarantee access to FSD Beta after a week of good driving. He said that the past week of driving data needs to be good in order to qualify. When FSD Beta is ready for the next round of testers to be added, the past week of driving data will be used to determine eligibility.

If the release is scheduled for 10/8, driving data from 10/1 - 10/7 will be used to determine your eligibility.
I understand that is a logical deduction (in terms of using driving data from 10/1-10/7 for determining who gets the beta on 10/8), but I wouldn't rely on it. I believe Elon's initial statement (about needing 7 days to observe driving behavior) was based on his impression at that time as to the expected software release schedule. However, now that the schedule has been pushed back a week, it would not surprise me at all for that 7-day evaluation to become 14 days.

I actually expect Tesla to use the 14-day period for determining who is worthy of receiving FSD beta. It doesn't really make sense to wholly ignore valid data on an individual's driving behavior; and, most importantly, using the 14-day window will lower the number of people who, in theory, should be among the first group to receive the software.

I honestly don't expect to get the beta anytime soon.

Even at 100 (or 99) didn't Musk say to was going to roll out like 1000/day for all the 100, THEN 1000/day for all the 99. And so on.

There are so many cars out there, even if we're only count people with FSD purchase (or subscriptions) it'll take weeks, even months to work down the list @ 1000/day.

Reactions: jebinc
I honestly don't expect to get the beta anytime soon.

Even at 100 (or 99) didn't Musk say to was going to roll out like 1000/day for all the 100, THEN 1000/day for all the 99. And so on.

There are so many cars out there, even if we're only count people with FSD purchase (or subscriptions) it'll take weeks, even months to work down the list @ 1000/day.
In the meantime we are all wondering if we need to keep driving like this until our day comes. I’m right there with you.

Reactions: jebinc
I'm having trouble doing enough "good" braking to cushon moments of "hard" braking. I need immediate feedback. There are a bunch of accelerometer apps out there I'll be testing this one on the way home:

I've read a lot of the posts on this thread, but maybe I missed something. Any advice on how to impove braking numbers? I'm soo close to 99 I can taste it. If I can drive really well, I might be able to round up to 100 by the 8th.
It works! Having a g-force bubble right where I can see it takes all the stress and guess work out of braking, and cornering.
I was definitly doing a lot of braking at or under 0.1g which wasn't being counted as "good" braking, then at the very end I was braking too hard and touching 0.3g. Now that I can check my acceleration it's much easier to regulate. Honestly this is going to make me a better driver, I'm really stoked.

Drivers cutting in front of me is occasionally a problem. I try to put autopilot on whenever I think it might happen. I'd love to have a radar or something that would display my following time to the car in front. I'm getting really tired of counting 1001, 1002, 1003.. over and over. I think with practice this will be easy though.

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: BitJam and nvx1977
Not everyone wants to test fsd beta. Not every one drives carefully and looks at the safety score.

My estimate would be no more than 20k drivers are actively trying to get fsd beta. If that 1k/day rollout holds, most people who want it and have a "good" score will get within a month.

BTW, driving around my place I haven't seen any Tesla that seems to be making any effort to turn/brake slowly.

Not everyone wants to test fsd beta. Not every one drives carefully and looks at the safety score.

My estimate would be no more than 20k drivers are actively trying to get fsd beta. If that 1k/day rollout holds, most people who want it and have a "good" score will get within a month.

BTW, driving around my place I haven't seen any Tesla that seems to be making any effort to turn/brake slowly.

Exactly. Best case. Without anymore delays is another month.

I get that it's getting closer and closer. But it's been years man.

Getting kind of anxious here. Only to be told, another month, maybe, and only if you play obnoxiously nice.

It's worth mentioning that too slow/too far is ... well, it's not exactly "harmful" but it's also not good. If you're looking to milk your score, you need to be in the "windows".

I just wrote up this tips explainer for Facebook, but here as well:
C0650A6A-C2E7-4A49-8F72-43A3EC7A4141.png

tl;dr: there really isn't a good tldr, but don't use chill mode, don't use AP everywhere, don't let everyone pass you, don't take turns like granny, and count Mississippis if you're going over 50mph.

As a result, you really, really get a lot of cleanup in your scores. 100 is now in my reach ;)
C7080CBD-52B3-45A2-8773-12C9A8612BA2.png

Today's score was almost entirely in rush hour traffic and a mix of city and freeway. No empty roads around here!

I get that it's getting closer and closer. But it's been years man.
So, what a one month delay ;)

The reason I cut Tesla slack is that (unlike many other companies) they are trying their best to get it out. They are spending a ton, have one of the best teams. So, if it takes more time ... its because this is bleeding edge and nobody knows how long it will take. I knew all this when I bought FSD - so no complaints.

I guess the only complaint could be overly optimistic timelines Elon keeps giving. But, without the (unrealistic) optimism, we wouldn't have had Tesla or SpaceX. We have to take the bad with the good. Its a package deal.

I really hope the rank/selection system is millage based. For example they add some sort of weighted millage to the calculation. Would not be fair if they let in ALL the people with 100 in first even if a large majority have like 10 miles on the scoring, since only 10 miles of driving does not say much. I also bet a lot of people are keeping their score at 100 and trying to put as little driving as possible to keep the score there.

I think someone with lets say a 95 score that has driven 200 miles should be ranked much higher than a 100 score at 10 miles...
Coming up with a reasonable number of miles is a very slippery slope, as the nature of the miles driven is just as important (if not more important) than the number of miles driven. To play devil's advocate, one could sensibly argue that someone with 100 score who drove 10 miles per day in NYC rush hour traffic (morning and evening) should be ranked substantially higher than someone who scored a 95 but drove 100 miles on the highway during off peak hours each day.

Ultimately, as none of us truly knows how Tesla will determine who will get the FSD beta and when, we will inevitably read stories from people who (purportedly) got the FSD beta with seemingly less miles or less quality miles. While I understand there would be disappointment, it is worth remembering that this process is analogous to pursuing a job opportunity. You may think you are the most qualified and had the best interviews, but you really don't know anything about the other candidates or what the employer truly based it's decision on.

My rough estimate is that no more than 15-20% of all Teslas have FSD purchased now. This means we have about 150k or so FSD-enabled Teslas. It would be not unlikely that 100k are interested in getting the Beta, and 70-80k are trying to get it. My estimate is about 4 times higher than yours. We shell see.