Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saleen Model S Video: Less weight, Gearing Change, Better Aero and Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to see some track results with either slicks or drag radials and see what the 0-60 and 1/4mile times are.

When you light up the back tires in a stock car; do both wheels spin?

How much does all the stock glass weigh? How about 50% lighter swapping out all the glass to Lexan?

Pro Glass Windows-Preformed Lexan® Polycarbonate Race Car Drag Racing Windows

I have never laid a patch like that in our P85 on 19" wheels. On a straight smooth asphalt road from a dead stop they chirp on launch and everything is smooth hard acceleration, I can almost feel the rubber biting into the pavement but if I go back, there are no marks. Acceleration out of a turn they will chirp the whole way up to about 45 mph slightly shifting traction between both wheels.

Concrete in our area must be slippery, they chirp and carry on but even then I have never left marks that I have been able to identify.

I turned traction control off once and got on it coming out of a turn and that laid a patch with both wheels but there was no way that I out accelerated what the computer normally does coming out of that turn.

I agree, I would like to see a drag race, top speed, and lap times. Now if they can figure out how to keep things cool enough to race the car to a 15% battery, that IMO would be worth it to some people.

Really, there is no telling until a drag race happens between P+ and 416.
And some guy laps the 416 on a track and tells the tale.

What we are hearing and seeing is inconclusive - we may or we may not believe the words.
There are only some shoulds with their buts:
- higher reduction ratio should improve acceleration but is there enough grip?
- higher reduction ratio should decrease top speed unless they've upped the rev limit ( MS60 is topped at 14.2kRPM, MS85 limit at 14.8kRPM, MSP+ at 15.3kRPM
- limited slip differential should improve total traction but is really noticeably better than Tesla's TC?
- lower brake disc weight should improve dynamic grip and response but is it big enough to notice
- did total vehicle weight decrease or increase? This on its own can worsen or improve acceleration. 1% less weigh = ~1% better acceleration
- they've scaled up heat exchangers but will this really improve core components cooling

And the last sad question: Is 416 even real?

A theoretical musing: what is the best possible 0-60 time of current P+ assuming ideal grip? I.e. how much time is lost to insufficient grip?

MSP+ torque is constant between 0-42mph and then it drops.
I'll assume linear drop to reduce calculation complexity. This will give a bit to optimistic results.

Data:
- torque between 0 and 42: 600NM
- torque at 60mph: 417 Nm
- weight: 2108 kg (4647.3 pounds)
- wheel radius: 0,359
- total reduction ratio: 9.73:1

Results:
- propulsion force from 0 to 42mph: 600Nm * 9,73 / 0,359m = 16.262N
- average propulsion force from 42 to 60mph:((417 + (600/2 - 417/2))Nm * 9,73 / 0,359m = 13.700N
- acceleration from 0-42: 16.262 N / 2108 kg = 7,7m/s[SUP]2[/SUP]
- average acceleration from 42-60mph: 13.700 N / 2108 kg = 6,4m/s[SUP]2[/SUP]
- time from 0-42: SQRT(2*18.8m/7.7m/s[SUP]2[/SUP]) = 2.21 s
- time from 42-60: SQRT(2*26.8m/6.4m/s[SUP]2[/SUP]) - SQRT(2*18.8m/6.4m/s[SUP]2[/SUP]) = 2,89 - 2,42 = 0,47s

Best theoretically attainable 0-60 time for MSP + drive-train assuming perfect grip and everything: ~2.7s
So, 1.5s acceleration is lost due to limited grip and there is plenty to gain with better differentials and+/or AWD even without more powerful battery.