Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saleen Model S Video: Less weight, Gearing Change, Better Aero and Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Odd cut out and editing when talking about top speed. After the obvious editing and deleted part, he says something like "okay we're not going to talk about top speed." Why not?

I've never been a big fan of the fish mouth but it is growing on me. I only watched the video to see the revised front, which is when they cut the video to delete talk about the top speed. I do like the new front but the interior looks so goofy it ruins the car.

It's... OK, I guess.

I didn't mind the interviewer. I thought it was nice to see a gearhead, longtime Mustang fan, drooling over an electric car. He was practically dancing in anticipation of getting a test drive some day.

The front end is closer to what I would have done from the outset. I know the hood looks rather busy, compared to the very sleek lines of the original. But I'm impressed by what they did with active aero, as it is slightly different from the initial renderings I saw.

Worth the money? There is a second interview, wherein Steve Saleen points out the pricing is in line with a Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG. So, yes -- it's worth it. But compared to what other tuners are passing off as a $205,000 Tesla Model S, this car is a steal.

The sound... Ugh... It probably does sound nice. It probably sounds the way that television and movies have always told us cars of the future would sound. Today though, I would prefer silence.

The biggest improvement is not reduction ratio increase, seats, ... it is Limited Slip Differential.

Open differential is the biggest weakness of all Teslas, roadster, MS and especially MSP.
Open differential can kill all the horses under the hood when one of the wheels has no grip.
"Braking TC" can improve the situation by killing only one half the horses and deliver the other half to the other wheel.
LSD can deliver all the horses to the wheel with more grip.

11,39:1 should move MSP from 4,2 down to 3,75. If grip is substantially improved because of LSD, even further.
In the evening I'll produce "Propulsion force" chart for MS60, MS85, MSP and MSPSaleen.

Top speed will be reduced only if they didn't remove/up the computer limit on max motor RPM.
This car does not need 10years of lifetime so maybe they can get away with 18k on the motor for some time. If it flies apart, there is always a replacement for another $xx.xxx.
Tesla engineering had already been doing it for some time so it is not impossible only reliability suffers.

The biggest improvement is not reduction ratio increase, seats, ... it is Limited Slip Differential.

Open differential is the biggest weakness of all Teslas, roadster, MS and especially MSP.
Open differential can kill all the horses under the hood when one of the wheels has no grip.
"Braking TC" can improve the situation by killing only one half the horses and deliver the other half to the other wheel.
LSD can deliver all the horses to the wheel with more grip..

The teslarati site says it's a Max Grip "locking differential" which I am not familiar with. Does it automatically lock? Is it a lock/unlocked type of diff or is there a clutch-plate or something that can vary the locking force? If this is truly just a locking differential, then it is totally different from and much-inferior to something like a Quaife, right? (I have a helical Quaife in my other car, and it's damn nice.)

Using an open diff with a traction control system that brakes one wheel does not "kill half the horses". It can completely stop the free-spinning wheel and near-100% of the power transfers to the other wheel through the open diff. That's just obeying the laws of physics.

It is Saleen's MaxGrip LSD
The Saleen MaxGrip diff. is a viscous limited slip. It incoporates a geo-rotor pump (basically the same design as a Ford oil pump). As one wheel spins faster than the other, fluid pressure increases and applys pressure to the clutch pack. Works great on entry, mid-corner and exit cornering.

* the interviewer was indeed a clown.

* the stock Model S already has the lowest drag coefficient of any production car... did they actually improve it? I doubt it... they probably made it worse... and since aerodynamics is the car's biggest advantage, perhaps it now has a lower top speed.

* they "increased the gear ratio" - does this mean it is closer to 1:1 now? Or... further away? (e.g. 10.5:1) It's either quicker off the line and has a lower top speed, or has a higher top speed but is slower off the line.

* ditto on the motor cooling, they probably have nothing, so it still has no use on a track and is a very odd Saleen car as a result.

* the seats look better :)

* the cost of the car is equivalent to one Tesla Model S plus a bunch of TSLA stock. I am not sure I would want to just buy a Saleen!

I can imagine that fugly spoiler does anything but make the slipstream worse. Ditto with the front. And the interior? IMHO looks like the side of a cow:)

It is Saleen's MaxGrip LSD

The Saleen MaxGrip diff. is a viscous limited slip. It incoporates a geo-rotor pump (basically the same design as a Ford oil pump). As one wheel spins faster than the other, fluid pressure increases and applys pressure to the clutch pack. Works great on entry, mid-corner and exit cornering.

A viscous LSD kinda sucks. A viscous LSD only re-directs torque when one wheel spins significantly faster than the other to cause a change in viscosity of the fluid. It allows a significant amount of wheel-spin before slowly reacting to the slipping wheel. And the fluid would break-down/leak over time. A true torque-sensing (torsen) helical LSD like a Quaife would be much more quick to react and have very little wear over the life of the car.

Saleen has always offered fluff instead of performance. No difference here. The good thing about them offering the Saleen Model S, is kicking off the aftermarket parts production. Choice is always good.

Fishmouth vs. massive underbite front end styling? I'll stick with Fishmouth. This car is a letdown compared to the initial sketches they showed and the "upgrades" won't make me lose sleep worrying on what my car doesn't have. #disappointedinsteve