Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sales Tax - Up front or wrapped in finance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla website calculator and payment estimator requires state sales tax to be paid upfront in addition to the down payment for Tesla’s loan option. Other manufacturers typically finance the sales tax. Is this normal for Tesla to not finance the sales tax? Is that not an option when purchasing and delivering in the same state?

You can adjust the amount financed. I'm able to put down $30,000 When I inputted finance data, I deducted $30K from the sales price, to finance the rest, and it told me that I needed to pay $34K. So I added $4,000 to the amount financed, and it then said I needed to pay $30K.

The Tesla website calculator and payment estimator requires state sales tax to be paid upfront in addition to the down payment for Tesla’s loan option. Other manufacturers typically finance the sales tax. Is this normal for Tesla to not finance the sales tax? Is that not an option when purchasing and delivering in the same state?

I had to pay it out of pocket in Texas. I probably could have rolled it in if I wasn't already rolling in neg equity though.

You can adjust the amount financed. I'm able to put down $30,000 When I inputted finance data, I deducted 30K from the sales price, to finance the rest
Is this on the Tesla website? The amount financed is greyed out for me.
Yes, on the Tesla web site, but because I've applied for the financing already, the options to change anything about financing are no longer there.

I am in Texas and have to pay out of pocket. I am going through the process of paying it now but my local county tax office is asking for proof that it has been inspected, which was not in the packet when I purchased. Do I have to go get my car inspected or will Tesla be able to prove it has been inspected?