Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salt Lake City Tesla LiDAR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Krash

Data Technician
Apr 18, 2017
Intermountain US
Listings
Anyone have a theory on why a Tesla with LiDAR is driving around Salt Lake City? And why someone on the Tesla Owners Utah Facebook group would report that the local Tesla employees know about it and can’t talk about it?

From that group…
1676183863823.jpeg

And from a trusted source…
ECC1024D-047A-44C6-9D43-5FB1AEE1FE58.jpeg

Kind of looks like an Ouster REV7 OS.

Does it have manufacture plates? If not it may be another compony altogether doing testing and coincidentally USING a Tesla.
I had assumed this. If the local Tesla people were reported to say “we don’t know anything about that”, I wouldn’t have thought twice about it.

Besides the plates, it would be interesting to see closeup photos of the cameras. Especially the front. This isn’t an S/X where the HW4 is supposed to be first released but I think Tesla has been known to validate their cameras with LiDAR.

Last edited:
I think I just saw one of these, a black Model 3, driving at night on surface roads near Palo Alto in SF Bay area. Had a similar roof rack with a single sensor mast sticking straight up. License plates looked like regular recent California plates (9XXXYYY). But on the drivers side door were lettering "Fleet Validation" something something....

Which leads me to think it's a Tesla-owned fleet validation vehicle, as when I google, I found

Additional Resources | Tesla Other Europe

and if you read the privacy notice, it says

"These cars are owned and operated by Tesla, clearly marked, and are equipped with sensors and cameras to conduct fleet testing in real life environments. Their purpose is to gather road data for research, testing, and development in pursuit of advancements in vehicle safety and technology"

So I think @Supcom had it right on, and the privacy notice actually says a lot about what it's doing, in order to explain what it is NOT doing - i.e. NOT collecting personally identifiable facial or other information on YOU.