Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Model 3 airbags deployed and cannot roll car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I have a salvage Tesla Mode 3 Performance we’re hoping to get back on the road safely.

Curtain airbags have deployed, various body damage inc. the wing mirror.

We’re currently having an issue with physically moving the car in tow mode. I’m pretty sure the pyrofuse has blown, but would this lock the wheels even if the car is in tow mode?

When we try to put into tow mode, the steering seems to unlock and brake pedal, but the car wheels are still completely locked up. What could be causing this?

It’s proving quite difficult to get any repairs started on this whilst the car is stuck on the truck unable to move.

Are there any other security measures that might prevent me from moving this car in tow mode?

If it needs the pyrofuse replaced to fix this, can I just get this replaced before swapping out the airbags? Just a bit worried that the pyrofuse will blow again because I’m not entirely sure how it is triggered.

I won’t be swapping the pyrofuse myself I’ll get an electrician but just want to understand before he takes it on.

The Pyro fuse is pretty easy to replace. You can look it up. Of course, follow all the safety procedures. If the parking brakes won't release you can release them manually by connecting a 12v power source to the electrical brake calipers on the rear wheels. This is a temporary fix just so you can move the car around.

Hi all, I have a salvage Tesla Mode 3 Performance we’re hoping to get back on the road safely.

Curtain airbags have deployed, various body damage inc. the wing mirror.

We’re currently having an issue with physically moving the car in tow mode. I’m pretty sure the pyrofuse has blown, but would this lock the wheels even if the car is in tow mode?

When we try to put into tow mode, the steering seems to unlock and brake pedal, but the car wheels are still completely locked up. What could be causing this?

It’s proving quite difficult to get any repairs started on this whilst the car is stuck on the truck unable to move.

Are there any other security measures that might prevent me from moving this car in tow mode?

If it needs the pyrofuse replaced to fix this, can I just get this replaced before swapping out the airbags? Just a bit worried that the pyrofuse will blow again because I’m not entirely sure how it is triggered.

I won’t be swapping the pyrofuse myself I’ll get an electrician but just want to understand before he takes it on.
any updates on how you resolved?

Had to get an engineer to look at it but it turned out that the car just needed crazy amounts of power to the 12v battery. I think they ended up putting three battery packs on it in the end.

The didn’t have enough power going to the battery to allow tow mode.
The pyro fuse blows on airbag deploy so there’s no way to charge the battery and power the car. The main battery does that normally but the pyro kills that connection.