Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Same specs for MY at Austin?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been reported that the first MY from Giga Austin has been issued. These are supposed to be 4680 cars. The specs on Tesla's website for the MY have not changed. If you place an order now, you should theoretically get a 4680 car if it's true that Austin is only using those batteries. But, specs have not changed. Thoughts?

This will be like the Intel/AMD (and similar) changeover for quite awhile, where you won't really know what you'll get until you're assigned a VIN. You'll be "promised" the minimum, which is the current spec, and hit the lottery if you get anything more with a 4680 build.

My guess is they won't change the specs on the site until both factories are cranking out the same spec 4680. If Tesla fulfills their claim to deliver Austin cars to customers by end of Q1, we will be getting data from customers soon enough.

Reactions: Physicslawyer
Tesla is switching to 4680 batteries to reduce the cost of building their cars. There is no reason for them to increase the range of vehicles that are already selling very well, so it if the 4680 batteries enable the same range with fewer batteries, then I'd expect that they'll use fewer batteries.
I agree that they won't increase the specs but disagree that they shouldn't.

Perhaps one unavoidable spec upgrade with the new batteries will be charging time.

The main unknown is actually how many batteries will be in the car with the 4680's. They are significantly larger than the current 2170's, so they are limited to a certain number less than the 2170's. I guess if we knew the number of 4680's they were able to put in, someone could do a rough calculation based on the upgraded energy density of the 4680's and get a rough idea of the MAXIMUM range those batteries could provide in the 3/Y configuration. Everyone assumes that they COULD provide more range, but is this really true, based on the fact that there WILL be fewer batteries on each car. But I don't think I've seen anywhere how many of these batteries will actually be in each car. There are something like 4,400 2170's in the current car.

It's been reported that the first MY from Giga Austin has been issued. These are supposed to be 4680 cars. The specs on Tesla's website for the MY have not changed. If you place an order now, you should theoretically get a 4680 car if it's true that Austin is only using those batteries. But, specs have not changed. Thoughts?
It has been reported that a real Austin VIN is issued, but there is reasonable evidence it is probably not true.
Tesla doesn't need to rush to make whatever minor tweaks are required to the order page. They apparently dont quite have EPA approval for the new version yet, and are at best weeks from delivering the 1st one. The general opinion on the many other threads where this has been discussed is the changes will be modest, maybe not even noticeable, and probably the biggest will be a bit of weight loss. Then the argument devolves into how much weight loss etc.
Some have reasonable views -- but hardly consensus -- that range could increase... some. Many seem to agree if it does it will be negligible or small for now. More range could be added later when production settles down and the same model is coming out of both factories.
We’re all just guessing though.