Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sandy Relief: NJ Governor Chris Christie Town Hall Meeting Tuesday March 18th

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NJ Plugin

Supporting Member
Apr 9, 2013
Please note: this meeting is to discuss superstorm Sandy federal recovery relief funds.

You are invited to attend a town hall meeting with Governor Chris Christie in South River on Tuesday, March 18th .The Governor will be joined by members of his Cabinet to discuss the Administration’s plan to distribute the second round of federal Sandy recovery funds. In order to ensure adequate seating for our attendees, please RSVP to [email protected]

We encourage you to include family, friends and neighbors in these open public forums with the Governor.

Town Hall Meeting with Governor Chris Christie
DATE:
Tuesday, March 18[SUP]th[/SUP]

WHAT:
Town Hall Meeting

WHEN:
11AM
Doors open at 9:30AM
Mobile Cabinet to follow Town Hall

WHERE:
St. Mary Community Center
80 David Street
South River, NJ

Seating is on a first come, first serve basis and open to the public. No bags of any kind are permitted in the venue and all personal items are subject to search. Due to safety requirements, law enforcement officers will be wanding all attendees.

Following the Governor’s Town Hall, a Christie Administration Mobile Cabinet will remain on site to meet with affected residents and answer questions related to the available Sandy recovery housing and business assistance programs.

PleaseRSVP to [email protected] to allow us to do our best to accommodate demand for seating (note that space is limited, and many town hall events reach capacity quickly, so we encourage you to arrive early to ensure your seating).

We look forward to seeing you at this event!

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you're suggesting; is this thread to encourage EV owners to show up, do you want to question the Gov regarding last weeks regulation amendment? I'm guessing that Gov Christie will simply answer that he's "...here to answer questions about hurricane relief not how people buy their luxury cars..." or something similar to that.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting; is this thread to encourage EV owners to show up, do you want to question the Gov regarding last weeks regulation amendment? I'm guessing that Gov Christie will simply answer that he's "...here to answer questions about hurricane relief not how people buy their luxury cars..." or something similar to that.

Indeed, I do not understand what you are requesting. I more than likely believe you will be kicked out if you become overly angered about a completely different topic that is being regarded during the meeting. He will also not mention anything more than, "Sorry this is to answer about relief funds for those who cannot purchase luxury cars at the moment." And try to bully you:).

I do not think it would be a good idea to show up - Possible arrange a day in the summer or late spring for thousands of owners to show up randomly at the Gov. Mansion - that will capture more attention. :)

Indeed, I do not understand what you are requesting. I more than likely believe you will be kicked out if you become overly angered about a completely different topic that is being regarded during the meeting. He will also not mention anything more than, "Sorry this is to answer about relief funds for those who cannot purchase luxury cars at the moment." And try to bully you:). /…
So questions about what Governor Christie and New Jersey as a State is doing locally to reduce Green House Gas emissions are off the table?

If something like Hurricane Sandy could happen ~one year ago, then it could happen again at any given Hurricane season…

One very, very easy thing Christie and New Jersey could do is to support the transition to sustainable transport.

If Christie blurts out something like “he's ’...here to answer questions about hurricane relief not how people buy their luxury cars...’ or something similar to that.”, then just raise your voice enough and say ”It’s the only car there is! Show me $X0.000 car with the same electric range as a Tesla and I’ll buy that instead! And may I also ask what kind of car you drive?”

And so what if he tries to bully you? Then just throw it back at him. Why not prepare and rehearse something like: “So much for the government staying out of the free market huh, Christie! You’re such a bought off farce! You’re easily one of the biggest hypocrites of all time!”

And if you can get the bridge debacle in there as well then that would be great.

Apparently an ambulance was delayed and an elderly woman may have died because of it:

Did woman, 91, die because of traffic delays in N.J. bridge scandal? - CNN.com

Maybe start like Musk did in his blog post: “Why don’t you try and sell us the bridge closure as well Christie?" And then continue with: "Preventing paramedics from getting across! You’re such an American Hero aren’t you!”.

Just a suggestion… :rolleyes:

…/ I do not think it would be a good idea to show up - Possible arrange a day in the summer or late spring for thousands of owners to show up randomly at the Gov. Mansion - that will capture more attention. :)

Or do both? :rolleyes: [Ok, I guess I don't think this is a good idea...]

Last edited:
And so what if he tries to bully you? Then just throw it back at him. Why not prepare and rehearse something like: “So much for the government staying out of the free market huh, Christie! You’re such a bought off farce! You’re easily one of the biggest hypocrites of all time!”

And if you can get the bridge debacle in there as well then that would be great.

Or do both? :rolleyes:

I can only speak for myself, but id feel behavior like that would negatively represent the "opposing movement", and would immediately distance myself from someone taking that tact.

Or do both? :rolleyes:

Haha yes! Good thinking.

Actually you made me think of something extremely clever when you said
If something like Hurricane Sandy could happen ~one year ago, then it could happen again at any given Hurricane season…

Smart comment.

Maybe it would be even smarter to all show up, and then make the notion, "Hello Govn. Chris Christie, I am XXX and I am a resident of New Jersey. I lived in XXX county/town for XXX years. My question is brief and straight to the point. Gov. Chris Christie, is it true on April 1st you decided to ban Tesla from selling vehicles that evidently lower green house emissions for not only our state, country, but the rest of the world? Gov. Chris Christie: Yes it is against the law for Tesla to sell in the state of New Jersey because XXX... It is my understanding Gov. Chris Christie that Superstorm Sandy was possible linked to climate change, and I know that climate change is caused by Co2 emissions and other dangerous chemicals. Gov. Chris Christie, I am not here to argue on whether global warming is true or not, but to simply ask - are you in savor of Superstorm Sandy? To me I believe you want another one to happen because of the "Banning of Tesla." Whether it is lawful or not, I am not here to argue on that behalf, but I believe our Earth is worth more than any written documentation of law. We, the residents of New Jersey, know how to stop the next Hurricane Sandy from happening and that allow Tesla to sell to New Jersey residents. Buying Tesla's will help reduce green house emissions!!!" Haha, I can only imagine his comment to that one! :)

Last edited:
Actually you made me think of something extremely clever when you said

…/ If something like Hurricane Sandy could happen ~one year ago, then it could happen again at any given Hurricane season /…
Smart comment.

/…/ Buying Tesla's will help reduce green house emissions!!!"
That was what I meant to get across with:

…/ One very, very easy thing Christie and New Jersey could do is to support the transition to sustainable transport. /…
…but I guess I could have expressed it more clearly.

This – as in the ~$30.000 gen3 car – is what Tesla is all about. Getting that car built, creating a demand for electric cars and also to start to get the other car manufactures to start offering competing offerings that also have sufficient electric range. That’s the only way to get enough volume. Tesla themselves can’t do this fast enough alone. They need the industry as whole to get the volumes up fast enough.

If Elon would have had the sufficient funds earlier, then the Giga-battery-factory might already be underway. But he has just recently gotten access to the kinds of $$$ necessary to start building this factory.

And unfortunately Elon and Tesla are the only ones who are doing this. There isn’t anyone else.

So yes, a Tesla Model S (or X) is expensive. But to many people it’s the only viable all-electric alternative, because it’s the only car you can by with enough range. And all the money Tesla makes from the Model S (and later the X) goes into making the gen3 car a reality.

This isn't just about Gov. Christie. There are people attending for information about Sandy relief - hijacking the meeting to talk about other things seems disrespectful to what they are dealing with. Just my two cents. Certainly if the meeting runs short and there is time, go for it. But otherwise, please let people get the information they need.

I agree with other posters opinions that bringing up Tesla at the Hurricane Sandy town hall meeting would seem to do more harm than good for all involved, including Tesla.

however, the original poster does have the right idea of searching for opportunities to raise this issue with the Governor. how about through this radio call in show he seems to do every month or so... though maybe he and the sponsor will skip a few months now,

the show is called "Ask the Governor Presented by Lester Glenn Auto Group"

funny, but no joke, here's the link...

Ask the Governor With Chris Christie - New Jersey 101.5

I also agree with the opinions against showing up. The citizens affected by 'Sandy' and the media attending would most likely not be amused by bringing up the problems of what many still feel are the 'wealthy people problem' of the recent decision that just makes it harder (does not eliminate the possibility of owning) a tesla in NJ.