Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saw my first Polestar on the road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its funny.. The Polestar 2 and the Model 3 were my two choices and it took a few days to make up my mind. I ended up taking the M3 for one reason really. Ease of getting it repaired in the case of an accident. There some 200K+ M3s out there and parts are relatively easy to get. Thats not the case for a brand new car make/model of car like the Polestar 2. Keep in mind this was just looking on line. When I saw one the other day, I decided I had made the right choice since it appears to be smaller than I thought it would be. Now, the Pole Star 1.. different conversation.. Gorgeous car and out of my price range :(

I don't think this is really an issue with Polestar. They share a lot of parts with Volvo. They offer at home repairs for basic issues, otherwise they bring the vehicle to a Volvo dealership.

There is a member on the Polestar forum from the Denver area that was rear ended in his Polestar. No issues getting it repaired. One of the Denver Volvo dealers did all of the repairs.

Reactions: SteelClouds
In my opinion Tesla and Polestar have the best UI in the industry. They are obviously different approaches, but the Polestar is the first that I've seen from a more traditional automaker (Polestar being a spin off of Volvo) that competes with Tesla.

They use Google for their operating system. Here are a couple of pictures of the main display showing the "A Better Route Planner" app and the main screen. In addition it has a nice central instrument cluster with Google maps displayed. I really like the idea of being able to download third party apps directly to the vehicle. For example I would love to be able to use "A Better Route Planner" across any vehicle. That way it's more consistent as you move from vehicle to vehicle. It also allows for the App to directly access your vehicle data live which is a big benefit.

IMG_4502.jpeg

IMG_4503.jpeg

IMG_4504.jpeg

Thanks for all the info in this thread, very cool.
I am contemplating a second car or upgrade from M3.
I'm annoyed that with Tesla that's basically $130K on a MS if I want it in under 6mo wait, and then I'm stuck with the stupid yoke.

Interesting to hear about Polestar service experience, I think it would be pretty surprising if it could be any worse than Tesla :) .

The responses that highway PilotAssist is "almost as good as AP but without the phantom breaking" may make it better for some like me. Northeast traffic levels & close followers often has me over-babysitting the AP worrying I am going to get rear ended.

When I was still shopping/deciding and browsing the Polestar forums, there seemed like a lot of stories (given how few cars sold here) of cars waiting weeks in the shop (USA) for parts from overseas (or not in the shop if still drivable). However Polestar seemed to be taking care of them well, always (or usually?) a Polestar loaner, and I didn't really see any USA stories of having to argue about any fixes. (Other country experiences to vary a bit.)

Actual service itself seems to be performed at specific Volvo dealers (again just talking about USA). All scheduling and communication is supposed to be through Polestar though if I recall correctly. So it might be a little tricky or awkward to talk directly with your whole service team especially techs. Then again Tesla makes that difficult too these days.

@manitou820 please correct me if I'm remembering any of this wrong!

When I was still shopping/deciding and browsing the Polestar forums, there seemed like a lot of stories (given how few cars sold here) of cars waiting weeks in the shop (USA) for parts from overseas (or not in the shop if still drivable). However Polestar seemed to be taking care of them well, always (or usually?) a Polestar loaner, and I didn't really see any USA stories of having to argue about any fixes. (Other country experiences to vary a bit.)

Actual service itself seems to be performed at specific Volvo dealers (again just talking about USA). All scheduling and communication is supposed to be through Polestar though if I recall correctly. So it might be a little tricky or awkward to talk directly with your whole service team especially techs. Then again Tesla makes that difficult too these days.

@manitou820 please correct me if I'm remembering any of this wrong!

To be honest I have yet to personally experience Polestar service. I've only dealt with ordering and delivery.

Not sure how things are handled overseas, but in the US like I said many have had Polestar come to their house or work if it was something minor. Only a couple I've seen who actually needed to take their vehicle into the shop.

Most of the issues so far have been software related and Polestar has been correcting them with true over the air updates, unlike many of the non-Tesla EVs. They improved the charging curve and some of the UI through OTA updates. They also just added a performance software upgrade for $1000 that adds another 75hp. They seem to be copying Tesla in a lot of ways.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
and then I'm stuck with the stupid yoke.

That will soon change.

That will soon change.

Those buttons look cartoonishly NES/SNES generation level plastic for a $1k mod on a $130k car lol.
Also hesitant to screw with modding anything safety related (airbag).

@manitou820 how would you compare PS2 - M3 driver seat?
I've had a bit of leg pain that flares up while driving and I can't seem to adjust the M3 seat sufficiently to help.
Specifically interested in being able to get the hips - knees level, seat length extension to support under the leg fully, etc.
thx!

Those buttons look cartoonishly NES/SNES generation level plastic for a $1k mod on a $130k car lol.

I've had a bit of leg pain that flares up while driving and I can't seem to adjust the M3 seat sufficiently to help.
Specifically interested in being able to get the hips - knees level, seat length extension to support under the leg fully, etc.
thx!
Agree about the buttons. And this is pre order only.

thx!

I haven't spent enough time in a Model 3 to really compare but I've been really happy with the seats in our Model X.

The seats in the Polestar are great. My guess is they borrowed a lot of the design from Volvo, which arguably have some of the best seats in the business. But I always think seats are very personal and just need to be tried out to see if they work for you.