Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saw this hole in my front bumper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While cleaning my car after a touch less car wash, I noticed this hole on my front bumper. It looks like something from the inside poked this hole out. Definitely does not look like a rock chip issue. I’m super pissed. Less than 2000 miles on the car and only local driving.

Do you guys know what might have caused this? Does opening a service ticket help or they will just direct me to an auto body shop and have me replace the bumper at May own expense.
6B14E026-B5BD-4D3E-81B2-0F1C118D6795.jpeg

Attachments

• 156D650C-78D9-41B8-8926-AB7AE1D335C8.jpeg
    156D650C-78D9-41B8-8926-AB7AE1D335C8.jpeg
    399.1 KB · Views: 236
Do you carry a gun inside that maybe discharged?
That’s quite unusual, does it line up with the tire? Maybe a rock dislodged and was shot forward through the bumper…
Maybe a ricochet from the ground up?
None of those are plausible. The underbody is covered/sealed and there's radiators behind the bumper cap. And that's not to mention the amount of big metal in there. Shooting a gun from inside the cabin is a stretch.

None of those are plausible. The underbody is covered/sealed and there's radiators behind the bumper cap. And that's not to mention the amount of big metal in there. Shooting a gun from inside the cabin is a stretch.

If someone were shooting at the front of the car and aimed too low, the bullet could go up from the pavement in front of the car and pierce the bumper, as is evidenced by the paint chip hanging from the top. Also, I thought the bumper was plastic. Where did the silver "metallic" eruptions around the hole come from?

• Funny
Reactions: thesmokingman
If someone were shooting at the front of the car and aimed too low, the bullet could go up from the pavement in front of the car and pierce the bumper, as is evidenced by the paint chip hanging from the top. Also, I thought the bumper was plastic. Where did the silver "metallic" eruptions around the hole come from?
lol, what like the single bullet theory??

I don't get this, why not wait till the OP has it checked before spitballing a bunch of crazy reasons...?

Tesla covered the underbody of the S in titanium and alu plating a long time ago. This has been well documented because of the result of someone driving over metal junk that had fallen the road, etc etc.

• Funny
Reactions: DerbyDave
Guys, when I was a child I served as a sgt and later a lt in the NYPD Firearms and Tactics Section. Ran the Police Firearms Instructors School, Heavy Weapons Training and Research and Testing.

Based on the photos submitted it would appear that whatever caused that hole in the vehicle came from inside and traveled out.

I'm dubious it was caused by a firearm's projectile.

Rich

Reactions: CaptUAL
Scheduled a Service Appointment at Plano Service Center for the 8th. Hopefully they can make some sense of how this can happen.

To answer a few Q - I do not own a Gun. I do not think I was shot at. I do not think a rock can be lodged from tire rotation with such speed that it actually punctures the bumper and come out.

Reactions: DerbyDave
lol, what like the single bullet theory??

I don't get this, why not wait till the OP has it checked before spitballing a bunch of crazy reasons...?

Tesla covered the underbody of the S in titanium and alu plating a long time ago. This has been well documented because of the result of someone driving over metal junk that had fallen the road, etc etc.

The front bumper is plastic, where the hole is. So you are posing a single plate theory, where the car ran over something going forward, and the titanium chip that came off, reversed direction, went through the frunk interior and faming, and then went through the bumper? A magic road debris indeed.:) The very front under the car is just a plastic cover.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Based on the photos supplied it appears to me that the "hole" is protruding from the bumper, precluding the force coming from the front of the vehicle. Unless...

Just one more WAG (we're running a special on those today), something may have penetrated the plastic bumper than was ripped out. Metal rod, road debris. Just guessing here.

Rich