Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scared of taking the Model 3 out? Am/was I alone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ultimately it's a car, and if you drive it, it's going to take some kind of damage over its life. The OP will come to accept that eventually, I think.
NEVVVVER! :p

Need to go to Costco, afraid asshole will hit it :(
I wish I had my Fitbit. I'd definitely be in the top 95th percentile for steps given my parking behaviors recently. My favorite move is the "just the tip" of straddling the parking line so that I'm 75% in one spot and 25% in the other while also being about a football field away from the store.

I was still recovering from my recent nasty wreck that totalled my S a couple weeks prior so the bubble feeling of the 3 low dash was really creeping me out. Felt like I was too close to everyone, going too fast, blinkers were weird, etc.
I hope you're well after the accident. I totally am with you on every car/object feeling so close. I gave a lot of dirty looks to people that seemed like they were thinking of drifting into my lane.

Charge the car. Pick a road. Or don't pick a road and randomly wander. Enjoy the road.
I think I'm going to drive the infamous Mulholland Drive this weekend. I'm getting a frontal wrap done on Friday+Saturday so I'll be ready for a nice, hopefully calming, Sunday drive.

Probably for many it is the most expensive car they have owned. My wife was shaking when she drove it home. And she was already used to driving my X and plenty of BMW's.

Be careful those first few drives, since it's likely your attention is not fully on the driving. The second time my son drove his first new car, he drove it straight out of a parking lot. Right over the sidewalk and off the raised curb to the street. Not the parking lot exit.

It's the most expensive anything I've ever owned. It's also my very first car so my emotions are a strong concoction of excitement, anxiety, and paranoia. Unfortunately, I don't see it dampening down much anytime soon, but I'm coping for the time being.

It's the most expensive anything I've ever owned. It's also my very first car so my emotions are a strong concoction of excitement, anxiety, and paranoia. Unfortunately, I don't see it dampening down much anytime soon, but I'm coping for the time being.
Completely understand! This is my most expensive car. I tend to detail her every month, so I know the feelings of not wanting anything negative to happen. That first pull out of the Tesla facility can be nerve wracking. However, as Robert Downey Jr. said, "Sometimes you gotta run before can you walk.' And our babies want to run!

I wish I had my Fitbit. I'd definitely be in the top 95th percentile for steps given my parking behaviors recently. My favorite move is the "just the tip" of straddling the parking line so that I'm 75% in one spot and 25% in the other while also being about a football field away from the store.

Totally agree on parking on the outskirts of the parking lot. Lots of extra walking for that and also at supercharger stops to kill a few minutes. On a recent 700 mile road trip, I walked 4 miles that day, even with sitting in the driver's seat for 10+ hours.

I would caution you on straddling a line in a parking stall to take more than a single parking spot. I like parking at the end of the row and hugging the far curb/line to leave as much space as possible between me and other. When you park and take more than a single stall, you risk ticking someone off that would park inches away from you, or do something drastic like key the car or slash a tire (seen both reactions on YouTube videos). Granted, if people boxed you in, you could always just summon the Tesla out of the spot, but you're also risking a door ding as they try to park as close as possible to you. I'm not saying any of these behaviors are warranted or expected, but just that taking up more than a single parking spot (even in the outskirts of the parking lot) is all it takes to put some people into a rage and react.

I remember being pretty nervous on that first drive down 880 after picking up my car at the factory, since I didn't have a feel for the dimensions of the Model S yet, and like many of us, it was the most money I had ever spent on a car.

It wasn't too long before I misjudged a curb and rashed one of my rims, which meant the car was no longer perfect, so the tension of keeping it pristine was somewhat relieved. Then I got a couple of small rock chips in the windshield, which also made me feel the car was "broken in" and I could relax now. So far, the worst thing that's happened is that someone smashed the rear quarter glass window to look into my trunk for stuff to steal. Fortunately, the Tesla service center had that fixed up like new again in a few days.

Enjoy your car! At some point it will stop being "new" but it will still be just as enjoyable to drive. :)

Reactions: YisSerL