Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scary Moment on autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a scary moment last week while autopilot was activated. I was driving on Interstate 8 Westbound in El Centro CA heading towards San Diego. I had Autopilot activated and was traveling at about 70mph. All of a sudden, my Model 3 slammed on its brakes at probably 70-80% force. The car proceeded to rapidly slow down from about 70 to 30mph in a matter of seconds. Luckily there was no-one behind me or it could have been pretty bad. The freeway was wide open with hardly any vehicles on it, there are 2 lanes Westbound with a fairly wide center divide (my guess it's about 3o feet wide) and another 2 lanes heading Eastbound. There is some shrubbery in the center divide which is my only guess on why the car did what it did. It was also quite windy that day so........has anyone else ever experienced this?

Thanks for your feedback.

Search this subforum for the term "phantom braking" / "Phantom brake", for feedback on if anyone has experienced this.
For sure, there might be a few reports if you search hard! ;)

But if you want to get most of the reports, you actually need to search for "Phantom breaking".

Or maybe the search tool is already tuned up to include that automatically. I know it's mostly a result of the speech-to-text algorithm, but it's still grating - or should I say greating :)

• Funny
Reactions: OxBrew and KrazinAz