Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Charging Experience during the day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is just a data point for those interested to know if scheduled charging works during the day.

For the last two days, I have set up a scheduled charge at work. I plug in at 8 am and set it to charge by 4:30 pm.

On both days, it has completed the charge (to 80%) at exactly 4 pm. At 4:15 pm, the climate comes on to warm up the car.

I also use scheduled charging at home and have it ready by 6:45 am, so it can remember different schedules based on the location.

I thought that was interesting and useful. I typically will try to charge only at work during the week, since I can make the round trip on 80%, as long as the temps are above 20F. But when it dropped down to zero last week, I had to charge it up at home as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Puddles
I just started to use schedule charging today at home. I set it to charge at 1am for the best electricity cost rates. I was afraid the schedule would also apply if I use free public chargers but from your comments, it seems like the car is smart enough to know your location and apply different schedules? In the case of free public chargers at work and shopping malls I would want it to charge immediately and not scheduled. Is that possible

I just started to use schedule charging today at home. I set it to charge at 1am for the best electricity cost rates. I was afraid the schedule would also apply if I use free public chargers but from your comments, it seems like the car is smart enough to know your location and apply different schedules? In the case of free public chargers at work and shopping malls I would want it to charge immediately and not scheduled. Is that possible

That seems to be the case. I had set up scheduled charging at home at a departure time originally, but when I plug in at work or other locations, it was charging immediately.

I have heard others say that when doing scheduled charging before a departure time overnight, it will calculate a cutoff time where low electric rates would apply. I tried it only once at home setting a departure time of 6:45 am. The charging completed at 5:40, so much earlier than at work, so I am guessing it was trying to complete before 6 am. I know there has been some discussion about when low rates actually end in different locations.

I haven't signed up for variable rates yet since I am afraid that it will cause all my other usage cost to go up, but I plan to have ComEd in Illinois do an analysis to see if I would save money. As I mentioned, I try not to charge at home until Friday night for the weekend, so not sure it will help me.