Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Charging Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all:

New Model 3 LR owner here and I had a scheduled charging fail tonight that I don’t understand. I charge at home with a NEMA 14-50 plug and the UMC. I have used scheduled charging successfully several times before tonight, scheduling the charging to begin at 10 pm. Today I once again followed my usual process and scheduled the car to start charging at 10 pm. The charging screen displayed a message saying that the car was in scheduled charge mode and that the car would start charging at 10. The car did NOT start charging immediately as has happened to others. It seemed like the car was going to charge at 10 as before.

At about 8 pm, the app sent a notification that car had finished charging, as in fact it had (I went to the car in the garage to make sure the app wasn’t faulty). It’s not that big a deal that it charged at peak rates tonight, instead of off-peak rates, but I’d like to be able to use the scheduled charging function as before. Any idea what might be going on?

Thanks!

Hi all:

New Model 3 LR owner here and I had a scheduled charging fail tonight that I don’t understand. I charge at home with a NEMA 14-50 plug and the UMC. I have used scheduled charging successfully several times before tonight, scheduling the charging to begin at 10 pm. Today I once again followed my usual process and scheduled the car to start charging at 10 pm. The charging screen displayed a message saying that the car was in scheduled charge mode and that the car would start charging at 10. The car did NOT start charging immediately as has happened to others. It seemed like the car was going to charge at 10 as before.

At about 8 pm, the app sent a notification that car had finished charging, as in fact it had (I went to the car in the garage to make sure the app wasn’t faulty). It’s not that big a deal that it charged at peak rates tonight, instead of off-peak rates, but I’d like to be able to use the scheduled charging function as before. Any idea what might be going on?

Thanks!
Something weird is going on. My car keeps set back into Scheduled Departure mode. I try to override it with the app and put it back into Scheduled Charge but it switches by itself back to Scheduled Departure. What's going on??

Something weird is going on. My car keeps set back into Scheduled Departure mode. I try to override it with the app and put it back into Scheduled Charge but it switches by itself back to Scheduled Departure. What's going on??
Didn’t work for me again tonight, even after I rebooted the screen. Charges fine when not in scheduled mode. I have put in a service ticket, so we’ll see what happens.

I had the same issue last night. My usual charge time is at 12:30am, but it started charging when I plugged it in around 6pm (right at the height of peak energy rates). I happened to check my app at around 7:15 and saw that it had been charging for the past hour and gained 10% power. I was so annoyed.

You need to eliminate variables. Put it in scheduled charging on the touchscreen inside the car when you get home. I don't use the App for that. I've seen cases where it's your phone or the App.
You guys also need to have notifications turned ON. That way the second that the car starts charging it dings your phone. A Tesla owner should never be surprised about how/when the car was charged.

You need to eliminate variables. Put it in scheduled charging on the touchscreen inside the car when you get home. I don't use the App for that. I've seen cases where it's your phone or the App.
You guys also need to have notifications turned ON. That way the second that the car starts charging it dings your phone. A Tesla owner should never be surprised about how/when the car was charged.
In my case, I only used the scheduled charging function in the car, not on the app. So it wasn’t an app problem. I also had notifications turned on, so I knew immediately that the car was charging at the wrong time.

I had the same issues for almost a year on my 2018 Midrange Model 3. It started happening after a firmware update August of last year. I set to charge at 1:30AM, but it doesn't charge, but starts charging as soon as I open the app in the morning, but only if I I open the app before 8:00AM. I had mobile service out and then had it into the service center. They couldn't find the issue out. I just lived with it. After getting upgraded to the FSD computer a few months ago, scheduled charging is now working perfectly. I wonder if the full car reset when changing out the computer got everything back in order.

Chill with the "a Tesla owner should..." comment as if a Tesla owner is all knowing about all functions of the software. Considering I was at 11.103 for 6 weeks after purchasing my car, the app scheduling is a new update for me. I didn't know how finicky the app can be.

Scheduled charging still not working for me. I have tried both scheduled departure and scheduled charging, both from the app and the touchscreen, and every time the screen and the app say that the car will charge later (either when I have set a start time or a departure time), but each time the car starts charging 4-5 minutes later. Any ideas? I have a service appointment scheduled on 11/18. Fortunately, the car seems to charge fine - the scheduling function just seems fubared. It worked the first couple of times I tried it, but not since.

Scheduled charging still not working for me. I have tried both scheduled departure and scheduled charging, both from the app and the touchscreen, and every time the screen and the app say that the car will charge later (either when I have set a start time or a departure time), but each time the car starts charging 4-5 minutes later. Any ideas? I have a service appointment scheduled on 11/18. Fortunately, the car seems to charge fine - the scheduling function just seems fubared. It worked the first couple of times I tried it, but not since.
That is the issue I was having too. Both scheduled charging and departure were not working no matter what I tried. I was thinking the car was not coming out of deep sleep to charge since it started charging as soon as I opened the Tesla app (but only within a a certain # of hours past original charge time). If they can do a do a level system reset, that may reset things back to normal. This will erase your user settings and phone pairing, but key will not have to be reset. When mobile service came out they found an abnormal # of logs and had to clear the logs, but didn't do much else. This didn't resolve the issue and they had me take into Service Center. They updated firmware since most recent failed due to log issue. They thought it was due to a setting issue which I tried. Worked for 1 or two charges and issue reappeared. Maybe logs filled again due to deeper issue. Doing the FSD computer upgrade required the tech to reset the entire system. This must have fixed the issue since still charging happily.

Update: so I posted my question in a Facebook forum dedicated to Tesla software issues and in one for Tesla owners in the Northeast, and several people asked if I was using the Optiwatt app. Turns out I was, and that I had the scheduled charging function enabled in that app. They suggested that I delete the app and try again. I did and scheduled charging worked perfectly. In the middle of the afternoon I set it up to start charging at night during off-peak hours and it worked like a charm.

I will try it again and if it works I will cancel the service appointment. I will also try re-installing the Optiwatt app with the charging function disabled and see if scheduled charging still works. I like seeing what I am paying for charging, and the Optiwatt app is nice for that.

It seems like the scheduled charging function fights with other apps that do the same thing, so if you are having a similar issue, you might want to disable any app that has a scheduling function.

Reactions: Ladybugn
See
That is the issue I was having too. Both scheduled charging and departure were not working no matter what I tried. I was thinking the car was not coming out of deep sleep to charge since it started charging as soon as I opened the Tesla app (but only within a a certain # of hours past original charge time). If they can do a do a level system reset, that may reset things back to normal. This will erase your user settings and phone pairing, but key will not have to be reset. When mobile service came out they found an abnormal # of logs and had to clear the logs, but didn't do much else. This didn't resolve the issue and they had me take into Service Center. They updated firmware since most recent failed due to log issue. They thought it was due to a setting issue which I tried. Worked for 1 or two charges and issue reappeared. Maybe logs filled again due to deeper issue. Doing the FSD computer upgrade required the tech to reset the entire system. This must have fixed the issue since still charging happily.
See my update in this thread.

Reactions: 355rockit