Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You select Scheduled Charging from the Charging screen in the vehicle, not from within the Tesla app. There is an elongated button labeled Schedule. Select that button and you can set Scheduled Charging. You can either setup Scheduled Charging to start at a specific time each day (every day) or what most do is set the time when charging must be completed (the end of the off-peak window.) Previously this was fixed at 0600 (your local time) but now you can specify when you want charging to end, .i.e. 0700 or other time. Don't set Scheduled Departure to be On unless you want the Model Y to precondition the vehicle either Monday through Friday or Everyday at the same time. Scheduled Departure is mostly used in winter for preconditioning the battery pack and the passenger cabin in cold weather, assuming you have a weekday or every day routine that has you leaving home at the same time.

You select Scheduled Charging from the Charging screen in the vehicle, not from within the Tesla app. There is an elongated button labeled Schedule. Select that button and you can set Scheduled Charging. You can either setup Scheduled Charging to start at a specific time each day (every day) or what most do is set the time when charging must be completed (the end of the off-peak window.) Previously this was fixed at 0600 (your local time) but now you can specify when you want charging to end, .i.e. 0700 or other time. Don't set Scheduled Departure to be On unless you want the Model Y to precondition the vehicle either Monday through Friday or Everyday at the same time. Scheduled Departure is mostly used in winter for preconditioning the battery pack and the passenger cabin in cold weather, assuming you have a weekday or every day routine that has you leaving home at the same time.
I’m still missing something. I’m attaching 2 images. First, Scheduled Departure is set up. When I switch to Scheduled Charging (second image) the options are grayed out.

Attachments

• 5CD80C69-3E72-46E4-944C-435D7862E3CF.jpeg
    5CD80C69-3E72-46E4-944C-435D7862E3CF.jpeg
    553.5 KB · Views: 252
  • 3609C3D1-1FFE-4B4C-BACE-845246B5FDD1.jpeg
    3609C3D1-1FFE-4B4C-BACE-845246B5FDD1.jpeg
    627.6 KB · Views: 168
Just a clarification; Scheduled Charging can set either the start charging time or set the must finish by charging time. Scheduled Departure is for preconditioning the vehicle, leaving at a specific time each week day or every day. You can toggle between the Scheduled Charging settings and the Scheduled Departure settings on the charging screen by tapping the elongated button.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Just a clarification; Scheduled Charging can set either the start charging time or set the must finish by charging time. Scheduled Departure is for preconditioning the vehicle, leaving at a specific time each week day or every day. You can toggle between the Scheduled Charging settings and the Scheduled Departure settings on the charging screen by tapping the elongated button.
Hmmm, is that true? I don't see any reference to setting a stop time in the OM using Scheduled Charging..... I will have to look in my car.

Hmmm, is that true? I don't see any reference to setting a stop time in the OM using Scheduled Charging..... I will have to look in my car.
Originally Scheduled Charging had no option other than turning on the feature; Tesla's Scheduled Charging software assumed that the lowest utilization of the electric utility grid and if there was a corresponding end of the off peak rate charging window it was preset to 0600 (your local time.) Tesla updated the Scheduled Charging software so you can now specify the end of the off peak charging window (must be the same time every day) and also added the option to start charging at a specific time each evening or early morning, i.e. 11 PM instead of setting the finish charging by time. You can set one or the other but not both.

Scheduled Departure (used for preconditioning the Tesla vehicle on a schedule, not part of Scheduled Charging) was updated to enable preconditioning even when the Tesla vehicle is not plugged in. This use case provides flexibility for those who don't charge every day or who may charge at work or other locations besides their home location but still want to precondition the vehicle in the A.M. before driving.

Skimmed this, but don't think I saw it mentioned... Scheduled Departure is one of my favorite features since it also pre-heats the cabin. Haven't needed it lately, but a month or two ago it was nice getting inside a 70* car early in the morning!

Sorry, but I'm unclear on how to enable Scheduled Charging. I actually was using Scheduled Charging successfully (start every night at 12 AM) for a while, until the latest software update. Now, either I can't even get into the Scheduled Charging mode (it's grayed out), or, if after trying various things, I can enable Scheduled Charging, only to see it switch back to Scheduled Departure BY ITSELF 60 seconds later. No matter what I do, it always ends up in Scheduled Departure mode. Can anyone walk me through the steps to enable (and stay in) Scheduled Charging mode?

1) From the Charging screen press the long button labeled Schedule.

2) On the next screen press the blue label at the upper right that reads Settings

3) On the Setting screen set Off-Peak Charging to On by moving the slider control to the right. Do not turn on Preconditioning unless you want the climate control to turn on just prior to the scheduled departure time (this feature is mostly used in winter.)

4) You can specify whether Preconditioning is active All Week or only on Weekdays;

5) Set the off-peak hours. (Consult with your electric utility company for any off-peak rate periods. If you don't have an off-peak rate period enter your desired Scheduled Departure time as the end of the off-peak hours.)

6) Set the Scheduled Departure time (Note that this does not have to be the same as the end of the off-peak rate period.)

7) Optional: - You can setup Scheduled Charging so that charging starts at a specific time, i.e. 11PM, each evening instead of completing just prior to the end of the of-peak rate period in the early morning. On the main Charging screen tap the word "Switch" in the label "Switch to Scheduled Charging".
Set the Scheduled Charging time (the default time is 12:00 AM) and then move the slider control to On. The slider control will turn blue and the time you entered or 12:00 AM will be displayed in Bold.

The Tesla vehicle will remember the Schedule settings for your home location. You can toggle the Schedule On and Off by pressing the elongated Schedule button on the main Charging screen.

jcanoe, thank your for your reply. Unfortunately, it appears my screen does not look the same as what you describe. I cannot see the long button in step #1 or the blue Settings label in the upper right for step #2. If it makes any difference, My 2015 MS85D is on 2020.48.37.2 (latest update I have been offered). When I got into the car to look at the charging screen, it immediately started charging (1st photo). Notice that the screen says Scheduled Charge Start is 10:00 PM (it was only 5:30 PM when I got in the car, so it is not time yet for the charging to start). When I stopped the charging (photo 2), it now says "Ready to Depart at 12:00 AM". It changed by itself to Scheduled Departure! (Despite at the bottom of the screen it still says " Scheduled Charge Start" - confusing, eh?)

Attachments

• IMG_2204.JPG
    IMG_2204.JPG
    357.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2205.JPG
    IMG_2205.JPG
    358.1 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
jcanoe, thank your for your reply. Unfortunately, it appears my screen does not look the same as what you describe. I cannot see the long button in step #1 or the blue Settings label in the upper right for step #2. If it makes any difference, My 2015 MS85D is on 2020.48.37.2 (latest update I have been offered). When I got into the car to look at the charging screen, it immediately started charging (1st photo). Notice that the screen says Scheduled Charge Start is 10:00 PM (it was only 5:30 PM when I got in the car, so it is not time yet for the charging to start). When I stopped the charging (photo 2), it now says "Ready to Depart at 12:00 AM". It changed by itself to Scheduled Departure! (Despite at the bottom of the screen it still says " Scheduled Charge Start" - confusing, eh?)
You may get faster, better response if you post this in the Model S forum.

I did not realize that you have a 2015 Model S, with release 2020.48.37.2.

I could post photos of my Model Y 's Charging screen settings but this would be for 2021.4.18.

One thing that occurred to me is that your Model S is already plugged in while you are attempting to set up Scheduled Charging. I would try unplugging the charging connector before changing any of the Charging settings for Scheduled Charging.