Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realized that my M3 keeps on charging after it is scheduled to stop at 0700 hours. The scheduled is ro start at 2000 hours and end at 0700 hours. Also, I stopped charging from the mobile app, and when I checked back it restarted to charge.

You can select schedule charge or schedule departure, but not both.

If you set a Schedule Charge the car will start charging at the set time. For example, it you set it to 10 pm and plug the car in at say 8 pm, the car will not start to charge until 10 pm, it will then continue to charge until the car reaches the SOC you have set.

Schedule Departure has two settings, each with its own time. Off-peak charging (misleading name) tells the car what time you want it to finish charging. For example, if you set it to 5 AM and plug in the car at 8 PM, the car checks the available charge rate (does a small charge to get this), and it looks at the current SOC and the desired SOC. The car will then automatically start charging at a time so the car reaches the desired SOC at the time you have set (actually about 15-minutes prior.) The other option is pre-conditiining. If you choose this the car battery and cabin will be warmed or cooled so you are ready to go at the chosen time! Note that selecting schedule departure by itself does nothing. You must also select off-peak or preconditioning, or both.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0

If you set a Schedule Charge the car will start charging at the set time. For example, it you set it to 10 pm and plug the car in at say 8 pm, the car will not start to charge until 10 pm, it will then continue to charge until the car reaches the SOC you have set.

Schedule Departure has two settings, each with its own time. Off-peak charging (misleading name) tells the car what time you want it to finish charging. For example, if you set it to 5 AM and plug in the car at 8 PM, the car checks the available charge rate (does a small charge to get this), and it looks at the current SOC and the desired SOC. The car will then automatically start charging at a time so the car reaches the desired SOC at the time you have set (actually about 15-minutes prior.) The other option is pre-conditiining. If you choose this the car battery and cabin will be warmed or cooled so you are ready to go at the chosen time! Note that selecting schedule departure by itself does nothing. You must also select off-peak or preconditioning, or both.
I have enabled scheduled charging set at 8:00 p.m.

Upvote 0

Attachments

• F62316F6-CE18-4000-9CB0-CD30682D45BE.jpeg
    F62316F6-CE18-4000-9CB0-CD30682D45BE.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 66
Reactions: jdcollins5
Upvote 0
You can use a 3rd party app like this Charge your EV for less
is using the off-peak function the only way to get it to stop charging without intervention? would be nice if we could just choose a time to stop charging, in the same manner as we can to start charging.
The Sheduled Departure is a stop charging feature. Just set the departure time then the off-peak end time at or after the departure time.

Upvote 0
Off-peak end time can’t be used in conjunction with scheduled charging (start) time. I want to manually select both start and end charging times without using other features such as off-peak or preconditioning etcetera. I’ll give optiwatt a try. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Upvote 0
… I should say I’ve been attempting this from the mobile app, maybe it’s different from inside the car
Yes!! Car settings override app settings. You have to go to car to plug in. Just set up Scheduled Departure from charging screen. Then plug in and your car will be ready about 30 minutes prior to departure time.

I think people are over complicating things by wanting to do everything from the app.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Yes!! Car settings override app settings. You have to go to car to plug in. Just set up Scheduled Departure from charging screen. Then plug in and your car will be ready about 30 minutes prior to departure time.

I think people are over complicating things by wanting to do everything from the app.

I like service scheduling from the app, and being able to mess with charge setting, other than that I’m not sure if I use the app for anything else. Well, sometimes I unlock/lock as I’m walking away because I’m obsessive like that. Oh and software updates. I believe all charging and climate options should be available from the app, more so charging. I don’t want to have to go out to the car in the middle of the night when I suddenly remember I’ve forgotten to change a setting.

Upvote 0

I set mine to start charging at 12:30 am for the lower price of electricity, I see it on the screen "charging will start at 12:30 am. but for some reason, it starts charging before the time it should. I do think it has been down to updating the software, sometimes. Anybody any bright ideas?

Upvote 0
I set mine to start charging at 12:30 am for the lower price of electricity, I see it on the screen "charging will start at 12:30 am. but for some reason, it starts charging before the time it should. I do think it has been down to updating the software, sometimes. Anybody any bright ideas?
It starts charging to calculate estimated charging time. Once it knows this it stops and schedules the starting time to complete about 30 minutes before your departure time.

Upvote 0
At what time do you plug in the car?

Last edited:
Upvote 0