Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Intelligent Octopus Question…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

majrocks

Jan 27, 2024
UK
Hi everybody, newbie member here. Had a search of the forum and was unable to find the answer…

Just took delivery of MYRWD, and still awaiting installation of a Hypervolt wall charger.

For now, I’ll be granny charging from my garage.

I’ve just set up Intelligent Octopus for cheap nightly charges.
Had the usual issues with creating the virtual key, but got around that in the end. Left the Tesla app untouched.

The app shows a schedule to charge from 2300-0700. All good - woke up to full charge.
This morning after using the car for a few miles, I decided to plug the car back in. I wasn’t expecting it to begin charging, I thought it’d be on stand by until the Intelligent Octopus app scheduled tonight’s charge.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks in advance…

Octopus doesn't know that the car is plugged in immediately. It "pings" the car every few minutes or so to check. When you first plug it it it will start charging. You then have two choices: (a) immediately hit stop in the app to stop it charging. Octopus will find the car shortly and will set up a schedule later on, usually after 5pm; or (b) just leave it. Octopus will stop it charging a few minutes later and schedule the charge later.

See the attached screenshot from the Intelligent Octopus FAQ.

I usually hit stop myself just to save a few pennies but it's negligible. But given I have the car open anyway to plug it in, I don't find it any extra effort to hit stop.

1000010038.jpg

Upvote 0