Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Delivery for 7/15 (4 week wait)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all - long time listener, first time..poster. First off, thank you for all that post their experiences. It's been incredibly helpful searching these forums for my random questions (charging, range, service). I've been following Tesla since about 2012..I remember being "that guy" at my office telling people how this is the real deal when the model S first came out. Needless to say, after many years of reading/watching from the side lines, my wife and I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the MY as our second car. We could have probably waited a bit more, but to be honest we can wait forever and still read things that concern us.

We ordered a LR DM, White with Black, Gemini on June 16th after a test drive earlier in the month. The delivery/sales rep reached out and thanked us via text after my online order, so someone sees something at the stores. We didn't tell him we ordered. We've been working with the Highland Park service center in Illinois. We were assigned a VIN (17xxx) two weeks ago, and the rep texted to expect delivery within 2 weeks. Behold I received a text on Saturday afternoon asking to schedule delivery and complete payment. About 10 minutes later, a friend texted about the price drop, and after a 1 minute call to my advisor, my account showed the 3k credit due back to me. Pure luck there.

So my delivery is scheduled for this Wednesday, but since I live fairly close to the area, I might take a gander there in the afternoon and see if she's already on the lot. I've been there before (more times than I should admit) just to look at what's there, and nobody says anything so perhaps I might have time to inspect the outside before the official delivery.

So far, the experience has been pleasant. I would have been less happy if they price dropped right after delivery for sure. That's an area for improvement to say the least, and shows the downside of a consumer direct model vs. dealership. Probably one of few downsides.

I appreciate the checklists you all have posted, and will update with my experience on quality. I've purchased 5 new cars and 3 motorcycles in my life, and can honestly tell you I've never checked anything except for scratches. Hoping for the best!

Reactions: JMar
made my way over to the lot, and there she sat. Uploaded a few images for you all to critique. Vin 17xxx with sticker build date of 7/1. What do you think from what you can see in the photos on build quality? (one photo shows what appears to be a chip on the right front quarter, but that was dirt...didn't want to touch the car).
IMG_2303.jpg
IMG_2304.jpg
IMG_2303.jpg
IMG_2304.jpg
IMG_2305.jpg
IMG_2306.jpg
IMG_2307.jpg

Reactions: slamper
Nice car. It doesn’t appear to have the differently colored white trim pieces. The frunk looks a bit off...but I think they all have small issues. Fit and finish seem good. What VIN grouping is it?

Congrats!

Of course, if this were a traditional dealership, you never would have even known the manufacturer dropped the MSRP and your Dealer was taking an extra 3k profit off you an hour ago. Is that a downside?

Congrats!

Of course, if this were a traditional dealership, you never would have even known the manufacturer dropped the MSRP and your Dealer was taking an extra 3k profit off you an hour ago. Is that a downside?

Agree with you. Would have never known and ignorance can be bliss in those circumstances. In my past car buys, my concern was if (how bad) I was getting ripped off on top of the "finance" office and the countless scare tactics for incremental spend. Now it's shifted to cosmetic/manufacturing items but I will take that trade any day. Every auto maker has its issues, and Tesla isn't perfect, but I've never been more excited to buy a car.

Take a look at the rear photos of the car. Compare the left side gap of the trunk to the right side. The right looks like a much tighter space compared to the left (look right above the taillight). Easy fix they should be able to adjust right there. Other than that from the photos it looks great. Congrats!

Take a look at the rear photos of the car. Compare the left side gap of the trunk to the right side. The right looks like a much tighter space compared to the left (look right above the taillight). Easy fix they should be able to adjust right there. Other than that from the photos it looks great. Congrats!

yes thank you! I noticed that too and will mark is on delivery...in about 30 min!

Got delivery of my MSM PUP.. Vin 13xxx.. Beautiful.. and honestly if I was not jaded and ready for a nightmare, I would have never noticed the misaligned trim on the door... Love the car ! drives like a dream.. not rattles nothing. Everything works

Reactions: bhawks
Took delivery! It was raining at the service center, but my wife and I immediately drove about 10 miles to a lit mall parking garage for true inspection. Put about 40 miles in total this evening. We were told to email any pics and issues within the 24 hour/100 mile quality time period though they said any issues would be covered and have the 7 day return period. After reviewing a three page check list I found somewhere...honestly can't remember where...here's my take:

a) Paint is as good as I've experienced. Panels matched and did not find scratch or clear coat issues. I'll be giving it another eye in bright sun tomorrow. Checked under frunk, inside door jams, under rear licenses plate and seemed good to me.

b) Panels: I think they actually fixed the frunk alignment, but will post some photos later for you to be the judge. As Protect1989 mentioned, the rear trunk/hatch needs a slighhht tweak, but interestingly enough I stopped by a buddy's with a new toyota 4runner and we found some spacing on his rear lid that seemed just a bit off to the eye. There's a minor rear bumper gap visible between it and the rear right quarter, but guarantee they'll say to spec. The biggest item, is a gap between the passenger rear door and the quarter panel. The window and door work just fine and seal nicely, but could be a better fit. Nothing else to note including the plastic trim.

c) Glass: everything looked nice and aligned with no visible scratches. One thing that irked me is you could see the suction cup rings and other factory-esq coating. It's clear they did not polish the windshield glass after assembly. I was a bit nervous it was inside the glass but after coming home into a garage I took some citrus spray and glass cleaner and it's now perfect.

c) Interior: Not one spec of dirt. Screen looked good and had the protective film and all the trim looked clean. Rear seats aligned and recline correctly. They fall down with the buttons in the trunk. I did have an issue with rear hatch not locking, but that was due to the leather handle being in the way for the sub-trunk.

d) Tech: seems to work just fine and autopilot kicked on after about 10 minutes on the expressway. All motorized parts work and can't really find anything to complain about.

Overall - I'll send them the panel items for consideration, and see how they spec them out. As others mentioned, for 50k you'd probably expect a more refined delivery, but the car is amazing. Built 7/1 in Freemont and in my driveway in Illinois 14 days later..incredible. Will update with some thoughts over next few days.