TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Science Park Super Charger failed to charge our battery

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by angelitali, Oct 19, 2016.

1. angelitali

angelitali New Member

We took the Model S for a charge yesterday, saw a couple of cars leaving the port right after trying to charge without knowing what's wrong and went ahead to charge when it's our turn. After inserting the charger, message DC charger failed popped up. It apparently blew the battery instantly, our car is in the shop now.

2. ediot

ediot Member

holy turd... did you have to call for towing? or did you contact tesla services in HK?

3. ifung90

ifung90 Member

Wow i plugged it in there too .. it said check charger battery so i unplugged right away

4. smtung

smtung Member

why didn't they disable the charger?

5. frangus6

frangus6 Member

Are we talking about all the chargers in science park or just a particular one with problem?

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

This is very disturbing to read. Please explain what you mean by "blew our battery instantly". Does that mean that after you saw the message displayed in the car, the car would not move when you put it into Drive? Did your car have to be towed to Tesla Service?

7. Lerxt

Lerxt Member

Blew our battery means nothing. A component failed in your car while supercharging.

• Like x 1
  8. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

I recently had the on board charger replaced. My S would not take a supercharge. Regular 220v charging still worked fine.

9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Agreed. The OP has yet to clarify what happened. Apparently during Supercharging something failed in the car. It is impossible for an owner to determine what failed or why, only that the car is "broken". So to say "Supercharger blew our battery" is misleading and inaccurate. The thread title should be changed.

10. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

OP: Thanks for taking the time to alert and share for the benefit of others.

Giving piece meal information only opens up more questions.

- what do you mean by, 'blew up'? There was an explosion, fire and smoke like we see in movies?

- if not were able to drive back home or to an SC? Or did you have to tow it?

- did you get a chance to plug into a 250V socket and did it charge?

- will you come back here and give an update ?

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Changed the thread title to be less sensational.

• Like x 2
  12. ediot

ediot Member

hopefully it is just some minor component that's easier to replace. it's scary to read since the supercharger bypasses the on-board charger, and charges the car battery directly (DC -> DC)

13. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

This is what I mentioned to the SC because I was a little confused. He was not sure himself other than to say the "bypass" is part of the On-board. o_O
    My take of it would be the bypass is hardwired inside the On board. A relay? Inside the on-board? If so and this becomes an issue, it is a more expensive fix than it needs to be.