Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scissor Jack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2012 MS P85, #2446

Recently got two Porsche scissor jacks. Part number 000.721.711.05. Current cost between $100-150 each. These aluminium jacks are rated for 1000 kg. Jack weighs only 40 ounces (1.14 kg). Separate aluminum handle weighs only 5.1 oz (143 grams).

Ground nub to about 15/16" dia, using hack saw and file. 5 minutes each.

$135 for one from junkyard in LA area and $26 (yes, seller wasn't aware of current market value) from private party in Mesa, AZ. Will use one to jack and second as safety backup. Still unsure if I'll use second as pictured or on suspension.
  • Min height to support deck: 2.55”
  • Max height to support deck: ~10.5”
  • Total jack deck travel: ~7.95”
Thank you to this thread The perfect Model 3 emergency jack? for great ideas. Although M3 thread, one person in thread uses on their MX.

Now that I've got these jacks, I'm certain to not have a flat :)

20230204_142353.jpg20230204_142920.jpg20230204_141520.jpg

The 1998-2006 Audi aluminum A6 jack is better. A couple of years ago, I modified and sold six of them to my friends. One of them looks like this.

on scale.jpg

Unable to get good clean Audi A6 aluminum jacks, I now make these UNIVERSAL TESLA SCISSORS JACK ADAPTERS with the new 20mm post.

on electric jack.jpg

IMG_2820.JPG

Here is a photo of it in use on my 2023 Model 3.

in use.jpg

If you can still get a 3 pound Audi A6 aluminum jack, unlike the extensive modifications needed to be made on the Porsche jack, all that is needed to make my adapter work on the Audi jack os one 5/16" hole on the flat spot on the top of the Audi jack.

Close, but no cigar!

IMAYCC Car Jack Kit for Tesla Model Y Model 3/S/X Lifting Jack,2.5 Ton Scissor Jack for Tesla,Car Jack Set - Tire Change Kit with Ratchet Wrench and Jack Pad. on Amazon.

The use of a hockey puck style jack point puck makes the minimum height one inch higher than necessary.

The 0.94 inch post is too large for the San Antonio built Model Y which uses a 20mm or .79 inch jacking socket.

Hockey puck holder scissors jacks; Not suited for low clearance or Model Y Austin built Teslas

I recently saw a large number of scissors jack available that are no more than holders for the original "hockey puck" jack point adapters.

61n4aP-RWkL._AC_SX679_.jpg

That adds over an inch or 25.4mm more than necessary to the height of the lowered scissors jack. That rise, I've found, is not necessary and achieves no benefit for jacking up the Tesla with a flat tire.

On that account, I have designed a minimal rise version of my Mike500 adapter that is even lower than my original, adding on;y 1/8 inch to the top of the jack. The aluminum disk is the same material used in the structure of the Tesla's jack point socket.

8.jpg
6.jpg