Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scope Changes in Service Centre?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I booked my vehicle in for the annual servicing. I was planning on getting the tires changed when I took it in, but got a call from Lawrence saying they no longer do wheel swaps. I've been given a contact of Go Tire to get the winter tires off and the all-season tires on.

Now, to me this is odd that they're now offloading workload that technically should be done in shop - and basically at the owners additional expense if one has purchased a service agreement. Anyone else encounter this? I will be following up on this when I get there and find out more.

What does it say in the service agreement you purchased? I've never heard of wheel storage/swaps being covered in a service agreement like Audicare etc.

Storing wheels is very expensive in the city.

Well, if they can rotate tires, they can swap one set for another if they're there. I store them at home and would bring them in strictly for servicing. Isn't that normal?

Oh, and there's nothing within the contract that says it's not part of normal servicing.

Well, if they can rotate tires, they can swap one set for another if they're there. I store them at home and would bring them in strictly for servicing. Isn't that normal?

Oh, and there's nothing within the contract that says it's not part of normal servicing.
Youre saying they should do it because the contract doesn't say they won't?

Does it also not say they won't make you an Apple pie? If so, demand an Apple pie next time

:)

Point is you're asking for something not in the deal (from the sounds of it).

Did you mean to say wheel and tire set? Your description makes it sound like you're asking them to remove all seasons from a set of wheels and put winters on that same set of wheels. That's going to require dismounting /mounting/balancing etc. No chance they're doing that every 6 months for free.

If you mean to remove your winter set and put on your summer set that are in the back of your car, that's odd that they won't as it's not really any more work other than the minor hassle of removing them from the boot and putting the other set back in. Although they'd have to wash and bag them etc. Minor pita.

If you really mean popping tires off and mounting another set, no wonder they won't do it

If they did it before it was as a courtesy. I wouldn’t expect that continue with very busy SC’s. Any shop with a hoist can do it (and probably try to soak you for a brake job at the same time) Maybe even a new muffler ;)

• Funny
Reactions: McCaesar
Any shop with a hoist can do it
This is simply not true. Many shops have a style of hoist that will not lift Tesla's. The Model S in particular is a bad combination of low and wide that doesn't work with many hoists common at Canadian Tire and other shops. I can't speak for the X or 3 but some shops, in my experience, are so paranoid to damage the battery that they turn away Tesla's for that reason alone.

Same in Switzerland, we have to go to "EUROMASTER Switzerland" (instructed by Tesla) since last year for changing and storing wheels (winter <-> summer).
But it was always at our cost (not include in the Tesla Service Agreement but it was as a courtesy except for the storing).

So, you're saying that rotating tires aren't part of Tesla's service - at all? Changing winters to summers already on rims shouldn't be a issue - which is my case. Even if they weren't on rims it shouldn't be a problem. I mean, if there's an issue with a tire they simply won't deal with it and tell you to call up a third party?

Seriously Sakimano - what I've asked isn't out of line in ANY other shop, so why shouldn't it be expected? Your exaggerated pretenses are ridiculous - apple pie?! Cut it out.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
This is simply not true. Many shops have a style of hoist that will not lift Tesla's. The Model S in particular is a bad combination of low and wide that doesn't work with many hoists common at Canadian Tire and other shops. I can't speak for the X or 3 but some shops, in my experience, are so paranoid to damage the battery that they turn away Tesla's for that reason alone.

BS. Seriously, Tesla’s are just cars. They have 4 lift points like any other car. They all have adequate ground clearance and are no bigger and wider than any other full size sedans. Any shop worth it’s weight has multiple lift point adapters to account for vehicle height, low lift points, lift point type etc. What’s at issue is their lack of familiarity with the vehicles, owners instilling fear of battery damage and the potential liability. Scare them and they turn you away. Show them the lift point diagram in the manual, the lift points on the car and the no contact areas and their good to go. In reality they don’t even need a lift. You can pick up any car with 4 floor jacks. Many specialty tire shops do this as a regular practice like we did at the track. I personally use two floor jacks to pick up one side at a time for tire changes in my driveway on all 4 cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony_YYZ
BS. Seriously, Tesla’s are just cars. They have 4 lift points like any other car. They all have adequate ground clearance and are no bigger and wider than any other full size sedans. Any shop worth it’s weight has multiple lift point adapters to account for vehicle height, low lift points, lift point type etc.
Says the guy who does not drive a Tesla. I speak from personal experience and you're making assumptions.

Just for fun - can you name a single sedan that's wider than a Tesla Model S? If so, how much ground clearance does it have?

Says the guy who does not drive a Tesla. I speak from personal experience and you're making assumptions.

Just for fun - can you name a single sedan that's wider than a Tesla Model S? If so, how much ground clearance does it have?

I understand this may be difficult for you. Some more than others have trouble accepting they may be wrong. Its just human nature.

In your last two unsolicited responses to posts I made on two separate threads you first response was 'Baloney' and in this thread it was 'This is simply not true'. This approach is not conducive to engaging exchange. Rather than opening the door to further constructive discussion it instead invites retort. Which it did in my case when I opened my response with B.S. for which I apologize to the forum. Not for saying it but for engaging in this manner.

After my follow-up you respond with 'Says the guy who does not drive a Tesla'. On the Model 3 forum. I have no more to offer after this. Please add me to your ignore list and I will do the same.