Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scotland: Energy Saving Trust loan limit is dropping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, the SNP have said they'd like visa rules devolved (e.g. I recall talk of offering graduates from Scottish universities a year's work visa within Scotland), but for now if you have permission to live in the UK there is no restriction on England, Wales, etc or Scotland.

I've only had a quick look on the EST site, but didn't find an obvious page with eligibility rules like how long you've lived in Scotland, or if you must have a UK driving license for example. You could always telephone them:

Hello. I've heard about the EST EV loans, and think they are such a good idea I should move to Scotland. Would I be eligible immediately?

I nearly had to 'bridge' mine for a week and I called and asked the drawdown team about this as it does clearly state everywhere in their docs you can't pay ANYTHING except that £100 which was stressful for me! but he said as long as loan is approved and just waiting the 5 working days plus a bit for covid for the money to come, it would be fine for me to pay for it myself as long as I could show proof of purchase and my funds leaving my account.

it worked out i got the money before tesla were ready but only just! I also was able to pay on my amex using the new amex bank transfer scheme and the 50k points arrived the other day which was a nice extra bonus, to get 50k points towards a flight/holiday (whenever they are allowed again!)

How can you send money using your AMEX? I have a BA AMEX, can this be done with that?

How can you send money using your AMEX? I have a BA AMEX, can this be done with that?

I don’t think it’s available on all American Express cards - I also have the BA card but I couldn’t find any option to do a bank transfer - used to be able to do it many years ago when I had the British Midland AMEX but that was through MBNA (also had Cheques too).

It’s a shame as I really wanted the points!

Last edited:
@john0897 I did it on my business card which isn’t BA it’s a plat business amex - and I do think it’s a straightforward ‘amex membership points’ thing and not third party cards like BA - but it’s worth talking to them anyway.

You need to register with their fx payments then use it for a GBP transfer - there is a fee from memory it was 1% on the Tesla - it varies by spend - you can pay PAYE, VAT bills and any supplier by bacs without a need for them to take amex and get amex points (but you pay a transaction fee) it’s not worth it (to us) for smaller amounts - but the more you send the lower the transaction fee.

I had asked the guy who set ours up if I could share his details on here as I’m sure those guys have targets but probably some security thing - they have a site where I pass on other people name, number and email so if you want me to put you in touch send me a DM and I can do that - the team are super helpful

@john0897 I did it on my business card which isn’t BA it’s a plat business amex - and I do think it’s a straightforward ‘amex membership points’ thing and not third party cards like BA - but it’s worth talking to them anyway.

You need to register with their fx payments then use it for a GBP transfer - there is a fee from memory it was 1% on the Tesla - it varies by spend - you can pay PAYE, VAT bills and any supplier by bacs without a need for them to take amex and get amex points (but you pay a transaction fee) it’s not worth it (to us) for smaller amounts - but the more you send the lower the transaction fee.

I had asked the guy who set ours up if I could share his details on here as I’m sure those guys have targets but probably some security thing - they have a site where I pass on other people name, number and email so if you want me to put you in touch send me a DM and I can do that - the team are super helpful

Thanks, I did a live chat and it can't be done with my card. Gutted, would have been 5 companion vouchers and 75k avios haha

I’ve got the regular plat charge card, not the business. This is the first I’m hearing of this, do I just have to message Amex’s live chat?

I missed a call from EST today, last I heard they were going to speak to Tesla directly to confirm the invoice I emailed over... seems the last steps to get the money can take a while?

Call them back as soon as possible - assuming all is ok, they need you to "verbally confirm" acceptance of a load of conditions which they'll do if you phone back and tell them you have a missed call from XXX... It then takes about 1-2 weeks for the cash to appear.

If you really really want the car soon, and the EST funds are slow to arrive, then according to folk on another forum, once the loan is approved the EST can be OK with you fronting the balance (e.g. dip into offset mortgage, Amex card as above, etc). Of course, not everyone applying for the loan will be in a position to take that route. And I'd urge you to confirm this with them before taking that route.

I've not been able to get though to them by phone today or yesterday to check on my own loan...

Update: Got though after over 10 minutes on hold. It was indeed EST wanting verbal confirmation, as one of the final checks.

Last edited:
Doesn't look like I'll be getting a car this quarter then :(

Remain optimistic

It’s annoying that the process is so long winded (I would say you could blame Covid but I wonder if that’s actually had an affect on the processing times).
If you really really want the car soon, and the EST funds are slow to arrive, then according to folk on another forum, once the loan is approved the EST can be OK with you fronting the balance (e.g. dip into offset mortgage, Amex card as above, etc). Of course, not everyone applying for the loan will be in a position to take that route. And I'd urge you to confirm this with them before taking that route.

I've not been able to get though to them by phone today or yesterday to check on my own loan...

Update: Got though after over 10 minutes on hold. It was indeed EST wanting verbal confirmation, as one of the final checks.

Yes once they have given you the loan offer (the letter they email that you need to send back along with a bunch of others) you’re free to make payment directly to Tesla...

I had to do this as Tesla issued an invoice 5 days before I picked up the car - EST took 6 weeks to put the cash into my account - so I would of had to wait till Q4 (having already missed Q2) and I’d be joining you guys to receive my car or I just used my savings to buy it while waiting on the EST loan appearing in my account :)

If paying it yourself while waiting on the loan arriving is an option for you I would recommend it as if you decline the car there’s the risk you’ll be pushed to 2021 Q1 and then your looking at late feb at the earliest for delivery!

I'm not in any great rush for the car I guess it's just frustrating how long it takes to first get an invoice and then for the loan to be paid. Might have to look into moving some money to pay for the car myself, will give EST a call next week to discuss.

I have a trade in valuation which will expire soon so if I push the car back too far or into next year will need to be revalued and maybe lose a little bit.

Will be worth it in the end

I have a trade in valuation which will expire soon so if I push the car back too far or into next year will need to be revalued and maybe lose a little bit.

If its a Tesla trade in, they hopefully will honour it. They did ours, for best part of 5 months, including 9000 mile service light coming on 2 weeks before collection. They told us not to bother getting the car serviced, so we didn't. It only went over by a hundred miles or so.

I’ve got the regular plat charge card, not the business. This is the first I’m hearing of this, do I just have to message Amex’s live chat?

hi - haven’t been online & missed this - if you aren’t sorted, DM me a name and email and I’ll pass it on for someone to email you - my guy said that’s the best route. It took me a couple days to set up so if you have time (in my opinion) it’s worth doing

Edit - to be clear you don’t get 56 days credit on this - it isn’t ‘putting the car on the card’ it is a way to make a bank transfer via amex using their foreign exchange service that they have now opened up for GBP/GBP transactions - and you earn membership reward points to the account linked to your card.

amex only pay on the money to Tesla once your money (and the processing fee to them!) has cleared which for me they sent it our same day and Tesla confirmed receipt the next day.

Thanks, I did a live chat and it can't be done with my card. Gutted, would have been 5 companion vouchers and 75k avios haha

ahhh - shame! Any card with a membership awards (almost all of the ones that are direct with amex) will offer it though and you can transfer from amex points to avios so unless time is a major issue, you could still set up a new card and use that (personal circs dependent of course) doesn’t help with companion vouchers - but you’d get the points - for when the concept of holidays/flights is back in the mainstream! Or you can leave them as amex points (which never expire) to use however you want - they work for Emirates, Apple, amazon - a bunch of places