Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scratch on my bumper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do I need to fix a scratch on my bumper? That's about 3-4 inches long and not deep enough for my fingernail to really catch on any of it. I think it just a scratch on the clear coat.

I don't own a dual action polisher but I have a drill. I'm hoping not to have to add another tool but not completely opposed to buying one.
I don't have any polishers or cutting compounds. I hear HDSpeed is great but really I'm clueless. Recommendations are welcome.
I purchased a Meguiars Quick Scratch Eraser Kit because it had with a drill attachment but it couldn't take care of this scratch however it did work fantastic to remove a little transfer paint by the door handles.

upload_2019-2-22_8-3-39.png

What do I need to fix a scratch on my bumper? That's about 3-4 inches long and not deep enough for my fingernail to really catch on any of it. I think it just a scratch on the clear coat.

I don't own a dual action polisher but I have a drill. I'm hoping not to have to add another tool but not completely opposed to buying one.
I don't have any polishers or cutting compounds. I hear HDSpeed is great but really I'm clueless. Recommendations are welcome.
I purchased a Meguiars Quick Scratch Eraser Kit because it had with a drill attachment but it couldn't take care of this scratch however it did work fantastic to remove a little transfer paint by the door handles.

View attachment 379607
If it’s only at the level of the clear coat it should buff out. There’s a lot of good YouTube videos on how to do that.

Before using the drill attachment, I’d try the rubbing compound on a clean soft cloth and rub it by hand. It is hard to do damage with a cloth rubbing by hand. That’s probably all you need. As long as your cloth is clean there isn’t really a down side.

Reactions: Muskol and dhrivnak
Before using the drill attachment, I’d try the rubbing compound on a clean soft cloth and rub it by hand. It is hard to do damage with a cloth rubbing by hand. That’s probably all you need. As long as your cloth is clean there isn’t really a down side.
Yes I have had good luck with polishing compound and about 10 minutes of effort on such scratches.

I'd take it to a detail shop... they might charge you $50 to fix that one spot. When you are buffing an edge (like your issue) then its real easy to go too deep and remove the clear coat and get into the paint.

I haven’t seen McGuire’s drill attachment so keep that in mind for the following. If you use a power tool there is a lot less risk to the paint with a random orbit device than with a rotary device. Professionals use rotary buffers. They are experienced. They know about using them and they’ve had lots of practice on other people’s paint. Not you, though. You’ll be learning on your paint. So, start with a cloth. You can even use a more aggressive compound if you want, just make sure anything you use is meant for power buffers. If you need more aggressive grinding of your paint, you can get some 2000-3000 grit wet or dry sandpaper, and carefully use that.

I’m not a professional. I’ve used compound a lot, always by hand. I’m old so lots of cars, I’ve got kids, I’ve used compounds on theirs too. Oh, and I’m cheap. If I figured I’d need to use a machine on my paint, like if I had bad news orange peel, then I’d use random orbit. I’d never use a rotary device. Well, not on my cars, anyway. I’d use them on some of our politician’s cars. Or an old tractor, I’d do it on an old tractor. Then if some of the paint gets ground all the way through to bare metal, well that’s OK. Not on my Tesla, though.

Bottom line, do it by hand. If you need a machine, spend the money for a good random orbit device. Be careful about using the cheapest drill attachment you can find as a freebie in a box of polish.

We’re all humans, though. Humans can learn from the experience of others. I’m not above learning from your experience. If you go rotary on your expensive car, do let me know how it goes, especially if it goes badly. Those things went badly stories are always the best.

• Informative
Reactions: stayfocus18
Thank you all. I appreciate the info!

I'll try the Meguires M205 and doing it by hand. Does it need to be finished off with anything?

You can put some water on it first which will tell you if it's through the clearcoat or not. If you put water on it and the scratch vanishes it's just in the clear coat. If you can still see the scratch it is in the paint.

If there's any way you can beg/borrow/steal a random orbital buffer to do this job it will be much easier and if done carefully the results will be perfect... assuming it's just in the clear coat.