Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen blanks out for a few seconds after closing door?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still fairly new to Tesla (1 week and a bit) and couldn't be happier. Just wondering if anyone else experienced the main screen going blank for a few seconds after closing the driver door (getting in)? Doesn't always happen, tried a reset with the scroll wheels a few times but no luck. Thoughts?

If your butt is in the seat, the screen should stay on when the door is shut. You may have a defective seat switch. If you fasten your seat belt, then shut the door, does it still go off?

I seriously doubt it's a loose power connection to the MCU. If it was, it would not come back up so quick. It takes well over a minute to boot. It would also be interrupting power to the Gateway which would cause other issues too.

I'm still going with the seat occupancy switch. It's super easy to check as a described above.

I seriously doubt it's a loose power connection to the MCU. If it was, it would not come back up so quick. It takes well over a minute to boot. It would also be interrupting power to the Gateway which would cause other issues too.

I'm still going with the seat occupancy switch. It's super easy to check as a described above.

Didn't have much time today with the nasty weather. The reset previously didn't work and my pre-heat theory didn't work either. I tried closing the door hard hoping a vibration would trigger something but everything was ok. I put my seatbelt on in advance that time as well.

I'm thinking it could be two things, the fob location (front left pocket) or the seat occupancy switch. I've experienced an odd thing with Autopilot yesterday when it asked for the first time to take over immediately when everything looked fine on my regular route. It may have thought I got out my seat or something..

I will do some more thorough testing when I get a chance.

If your butt is in the seat, the screen should stay on when the door is shut. You may have a defective seat switch. If you fasten your seat belt, then shut the door, does it still go off?

Solved. Been a while but just in case someone searches this thread and looks for a solution.. The issue was exactly what you were thinking, my butt not being in the seat completely when getting into the car. I would sometimes sit on the edge and slide in as I close the door and the timing of it all would cause the screen to blank out thinking I'm not in the car.