Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen has darkening Yellow Band around entire screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The MCU screen that came out of mine was an Innolux G170J1-LE1. Yes, they appear to be $200-$400 depending on source. So Tesla is marking them up quite a bit.

Here is a picture of the sticker from the back of my yellowing MCU screen that was removed.

upload_2019-6-10_16-34-58.png

@Gixx1300R - My invoice is at home, I will post it after I get home.

• Informative
Reactions: whitex and aerodyne
I feel many Tesla customers, us included, are being patient.

We want Tesla to do well and I'm okay with them focusing on profit and sales for now.

But at the end of this journey, I don't want any nonsense or BS and need this defect fixed the right way with a clear display. Hopefully, after Q2, they will take care of their customers, and honor the warranty as they should.

Does the above posted screen solve the problem, and is it easily replaceable by the average user or needs service? Also I have been building and fixing computers for 30 years. There is NO software fix (other than blocking out the borders and making the screen smaller, which is unnacceptable). The problem is the glue used in the screen turns yellow when exposed to UV and or humidity/water, that is a fact. There is no way Tesla can have some apparatus to expose it to UV and fix the problem, it would only make it worse. Bottom line is Tesla must replace the screens when non-defective ones are available. I have been very patient, even though it is unsightly in my $100k year old car. But I bought my car, not leased it, and when I go to sell it Tesla had beter have replaced the screen or the resale value will be way lower and they will have a letter from my attorney, and then they WILL fix it or lose in court. I used to recommend Teslas to friends, I don't anymore since getting ANYTHING fixed is a total f@Cking nightmare. They make 3 models of cars and NEVER have the most basic and used parts available for 3 months? I will never buy another car that I can't drive up to a repair shop/center and get it fixed NOW, not in 3 months. Some people only have one car, need to get to work, ect. Tesla is just not a car for a normal person yet. It is a nice 2nd car, but no service or parts makes it a no go for the average American. Elon really needs to get his sh!t together and announce that yes, they will replace the screens under warranty and when. As I said, what if I was to sell my car tomorrow? If he doesn't do that, not only will he get sued and lose every case individually and a class action, but the bad PR will cost him far more. He is a smart guy, I hope he reads this forum and does the right thing. Stop tweeting about god damn video games and farts on the YELLOW SCREEN and fix the problem before you spend time and money on stupid sh!T!

• Funny
Reactions: RubberToe
Jim;

Understand the frustration, dreading my first visit to the SC. Hopefully will get a ranger.

Try not to take it out on the SC staff. This fish rots from the head, Elon needs to stop working the submarine car etc, and fix the spares and service hell problem like he promised last year.

If he does not, third parties will emerge to fill the void.

Jim;

Understand the frustration, dreading my first visit to the SC. Hopefully will get a ranger.

Try not to take it out on the SC staff. This fish rots from the head, Elon needs to stop working the submarine car etc, and fix the spares and service hell problem like he promised last year.

If he does not, third parties will emerge to fill the void.
By 3rd party you mean other manufacturers, while Tesla becomes a specialty car only for hackers who can fix it themselves, like the Delorean today?

Last edited:
By third party I mean something like the independent repair stations like we have now.

I don't like the Delorean comparision, but since you bring it up there is an entity that exists that supports the above, with enough spares to build 1000+ cars.

I had my late '17 Model S' screen with the Yellow Border issue replaced in May '18. I believe they also replaced the "MCU" at the same time. Not sure why. Regardless, the "new" replacement screen has developed the same issue this year -- noticeable around Feb.

Question: Should I report this and get on some list for a more permanent fix? I do want it addressed, but not with a temporary fix like I received before.

Thx for any feedback.

Gary

I had my late '17 Model S' screen with the Yellow Border issue replaced in May '18. I believe they also replaced the "MCU" at the same time. Not sure why. Regardless, the "new" replacement screen has developed the same issue this year -- noticeable around Feb.

Question: Should I report this and get on some list for a more permanent fix? I do want it addressed, but not with a temporary fix like I received before.

Thx for any feedback.

Gary
I would. And I would tell them you don't want it addressed until the permanent fix is available. Just putting them on notice.

By third party I mean something like the independent repair stations like we have now.

I don't like the Delorean comparision, but since you bring it up there is an entity that exists that supports the above, with enough spares to build 1000+ cars.
What independent 3rd party stations we have now fix Teslas today? Anyone make 3rd party parts for Tesla?

Actually, Delorian model is exactly what I meant. Some things on Model S are already only fixable by some 3rd party using recycled parts (e.g. performance suspension, or executive seats) - some of those cars are still under warranty by the way, but Tesla cannot fix them because parts are not being made anymore (spare parts logistics is a "Boooooring! Next question!" issue for Elon, because you know, who cares about fixing last year's cars when there are robo-taxis to launch next year, people should just buy a new one anyways, and it will appreciate 500% too). As the number of Teslas will grow, and repair times and parts unavailability along with it, the only model possible is the Delorean model, 3rd party using recycled parts, with the only difference being that the 3rd party will need some hackers on staff to hack the computers in order to fix the cars.

Last edited:
It won't hold up in Norway. The company can push that claim from the US and hope to save some money, but the laws here explicitly state that a cosmetic issue is a an issue, and Tesla will loose in court if they try to bullshit that.
Same here in Australia, I am not worried about this one bit as far as getting left out in the cold. If this rumoured UV exposure fix doesn't work (I doubt it will) then they will be forced to replace the screens out here.

Reactions: PhilDavid and ChrML