Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard from my service advisor that this is a known problem and should be fixed in the next update.

Got an update from the diagnostic team. He ran some tests remotely and it appears that there’s currently a known issue around this for you in the current firmware version.

What this means for you is that this will be fixed in a software update currently targeted for later this month and no repairs or visit to the service center will be required. If after the next update to 2018.52.xxx doesn’t do the trick, let us know but everything we’re seeing is in line with that known boot issue.​

• Informative
Reactions: ebmcs03
I hope that's the case. I updated to 2018.46.xxx a couple days ago and actually had more problems after wake up. One trip resulted in no sounds from the speakers for anything after starting up -- no turn signal sounds, and no radio audio of any type. It took a full reboot to fix that one.

Reactions: bsilva
I hope that's the case. I updated to 2018.46.xxx a couple days ago and actually had more problems after wake up. One trip resulted in no sounds from the speakers for anything after starting up -- no turn signal sounds, and no radio audio of any type. It took a full reboot to fix that one.

Leaving the car and closing the door and getting back in after just a few seconds has fixed this bug twice for me so far. Much faster than a full reboot / power off.

I heard from my service advisor that this is a known problem and should be fixed in the next update.

Got an update from the diagnostic team. He ran some tests remotely and it appears that there’s currently a known issue around this for you in the current firmware version.

What this means for you is that this will be fixed in a software update currently targeted for later this month and no repairs or visit to the service center will be required. If after the next update to 2018.52.xxx doesn’t do the trick, let us know but everything we’re seeing is in line with that known boot issue.​

There's a tech who posts in our local Tesla Facebook group, who has also said that this issue (which he called 'slow to wake') was due to be fixed in the coming firmware 52. My car does it as well, I'm currently still at 42.2.

I got the same reply from the service team.

The audio not working issue happens to me whenever I press on the brake or start driving before the screen turns on while the boot delay occurs. Wait for the screen to turn on before pressing the brake and it works fine for me.

There's a tech who posts in our local Tesla Facebook group, who has also said that this issue (which he called 'slow to wake') was due to be fixed in the coming firmware 52. My car does it as well, I'm currently still at 42.2.
My service guy also called it "slow to wake" but to me it's not really "slow to wake" but rather a reboot that happens as if in response to a fault. The screen is blank initially, then 30 seconds or so later, the T comes up (isn't that a reboot?), then the screen comes on, and a minute (or up to 5 minutes) later, LTE kicks in.

I hope 52 fixes it, it's rather annoying.

Reactions: absolut20
My service guy also called it "slow to wake" but to me it's not really "slow to wake" but rather a reboot that happens as if in response to a fault. The screen is blank initially, then 30 seconds or so later, the T comes up (isn't that a reboot?), then the screen comes on, and a minute (or up to 5 minutes) later, LTE kicks in.

I hope 52 fixes it, it's rather annoying.
I got the update, 2018.48, but the problem still exists. It happens a few times a day. Not every time I get in the car, but also not just once in a long while. I have let my service advisor know the problem wasn't fixed in 2018.48 by email but have not heard back yet.

Reactions: absolut20
Welp, the bug still occurs in 2018.48.12.1. Hopefully it will be fixed in 2018.52.
Not surprising since Tesla previously said that it would be in 52. I've only had it happen once when I was still on 46.2, so will have to rely on you and others who have had this issue frequently to verify the fix for the rest of us when it comes. Please keep us updated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Screen rebooted for me today. First time in 19 days of ownership. About 5 minutes after departing. 2018.49.12.1 Have a USB drive in since yesterday for FLAC audio files. Since that have also noticed the screen freezing up for about 10 seconds or so on a few occasions. Hopefully 52 resolves.