Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

screen rebooted on it's own while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had it happen to me once on the way to work. I was using Autopilot and it kept working without a hitch. I obviously had my hands on the wheel, ready to take over but I never needed to. I didn’t try cancelling AP, changing speeds, etc and was only driving straight so I don’t know what would have happened had I changed anything.

As others have commented, it seems that the systems that actually control the car operate at a lower level and independent of the display itself so the display system can reboot without affecting the rest of the car.
This happened to me on I80 on January 3rd

did AP (or anything else) drop out?
Did nav reset or otherwise forget where it was going?
This JUST happened to me yesterday, 2019 MX, driving around 55 mph, not in AP or FSD, both screens went black. The vehicle still had manual functions (steering, Acela for and break) I was on a road that had no shoulder to pull off on so I had to keep going, after about 45 seconds, the screens booted back up and my navigation was still loaded and everything seemed fine. With my wife in the passenger seat, now I will NEVER be able to engage FSD with her in the car as she was already nervous about it before this awful situation. So much confidence lost. I am on 10.9.

Happened to me twice; once while parked on a 3,000 mile long road trip (thought the car was bricked!!!) and once when driving on a town road. What I do now is I do a two-button reboot of the car at the start of the month. I "think" that should resolve this annoying "feature."

Rich

Just happened to me today. The whole story until black screen.

Model Y Long Range, September 2021 build. When leaving the garage the car displayed a message for like 0.5 seconds "Top speed and acceleration reduced, may return to normal on next drive" or something like that, it was a blink of an eye. I ignored it but it was the first time I've seen this one. After starting the commute the UI seemed choppy, map rotation was not smooth, cameras for blind spots would engage with a little bit of lag. It happened before and a soft reset helped so I was not concerned. Usually happens when kids use Netflix or play games in the car for too long. Once on freeway the autopilot would not engage. Message: "Autosteer temporarily unavailable" along with a warning chime. TACC worked normally, UI still very laggy / choppy. About 20 miles in, whole screen freezes, music goes off with a loud pop in the speakers, screen goes black 20 seconds later and turns back on after about 1 minute. No usual faded Tesla logo however, just restarted and everything went back to normal, smooth animations and all. Autosteer available again.

This was the second occurrence of this. First one was after a camping night with Camp Mode on for 8 hours. UI was similarly choppy in the morning and the screen went black after 5 miles from the campsite, then restarted while driving.

On the 3rd event I will open a service request. Hopefully this will be fixed via firmware update, seems like an overloaded memory problem you would normally have on a computer. Tesla runs Linux but still apps can occupy memory in the background and it seems it just happens until the computer crashes. A Windows machine would cry something about a virtual memory overflow in a similar case.

PS With the black screen the blinkers DO NOT WORK - and this is possibly the biggest, most dangerous issue, on top of not seeing your speed obviously.

This happened to me last Friday. I got in the vehicle after work, put the car in reverse, and was a bit frustrated to experience significant glitching on the screen (no back-up cameras, the left portion of the screen didn't show that I was in reverse, etc). I thought, "oh well, it'll get itself sorted out in a few seconds", and left.
Drove out of the parking lot and onto a main road, then more random on screen glitching, the stereo streaming and sound stops, and it subsequently locks up. I was anxious at that point, as I was getting on the toll road and preparing to do highway speeds.
But...off I went, as the car continued to drive nominally the whole time. Then the screen went totally blank and rebooted. I was worried at that point, but it rebooted fine.
Unfortunately, it continued to glitch all the way home, and I never did get the stereo working or on screen display animations (traffic/Nav/etc) to catch up to real time. Blinkers didn't work like they should..
It had been raining for a couple of days here.. Not sure if that had anything to do with it or not, but I got in the car the next day (in my garage) and everything worked fine again.

Last edited:
Happened to me twice; once while parked on a 3,000 mile long road trip (thought the car was bricked!!!) and once when driving on a town road. What I do now is I do a two-button reboot of the car at the start of the month. I "think" that should resolve this annoying "feature."

Rich
I've been doing the reboot thing as well every 2 weeks. The stereo popping noises get progressively more frequent until the screen blacks out. I hope this is fixed in an update soon.....

Today for first time the sound on stereo pops in an out followed by screen turning back few a few seconds and reappearing. Seems to happen shortly after powering up car. Coincides with first time driving after update to 2022.4.5.17.
This has been happening to me for 2 weeks now, even after several soft and hard reboots -- Screen glitches. reboots. stereo pops. signal cams take 3 seconds to come on.
Not sure if it's coincidence but strangely after I opened a ticket with the service center, everything is fine now for 2 days. I am still going to take her in to get looked at.

Happened to me 5/22/23. Car had been acting strange, turn signal and other indicators would cause a pop sound like a short circuit, the radio would go off for a second. Backing out of the garage the rear camera didn't work until I was out then the door opener icon didn't appear and when it did it didn't work for a few seonds. Then as was leaving the speed indicated 3 mph, while I was going 25 or so, speeding up, slowing down didn't change the 3mph indication. Then the screen went dark, after a few seconds the Tesla icon appeared. I pulled over and stopped, in 30 or 40 seconds or so the screen came back and no more glitches since, however that was just yesterday. 2020 model 3 lr awd.

I've had this happen a couple of times recently, both in the last month. Screen gets very laggy, navigation and MPH display mainly. The first time it rebooted automatically, the second time I was pulling into my destination so rebooted before I left the car. Wonder if it was the last update that caused this. I've had the latest update since then so will see if it's been fixed. Definitely irritating if you are navigating somewhere. If it happens again soon, I may put a service call in to make sure it's not a physical issue with my screen.