Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Vertical Lines Static

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess, being a memory test engineer, is that what you are looking at is a corruption in the video memory and/or GPU that drives the LCD panel. A re-boot that 'fixes' the problem (temporarily) means it shouldn't be anything having to do with a physical connection; either a cable that is connected between the panel and GPU or a ribbon cable inside the LCD that is used by the column drivers. The corruption can be temperature related, with high temperatures usually being the worst condition.

Reactions: davedavedave
My guess, being a memory test engineer, is that what you are looking at is a corruption in the video memory and/or GPU that drives the LCD panel. A re-boot that 'fixes' the problem (temporarily) means it shouldn't be anything having to do with a physical connection; either a cable that is connected between the panel and GPU or a ribbon cable inside the LCD that is used by the column drivers. The corruption can be temperature related, with high temperatures usually being the worst condition.
I totally agree. Having built my own computer systems and seeing video cards go bad, I can relate. Regarding high temps, I thought the system was liquid cooled?

I totally agree. Having built my own computer systems and seeing video cards go bad, I can relate. Regarding high temps, I thought the system was liquid cooled?

My car was sitting in direct sunlight here in florida for several hours. When I got into the car, I got the lines on the screen. I thought the same thing regarding temperature corruption to the screen. I did not have a sun shade.

I called service and they stated they are aware of the problem and if it happens again, I should have the video card replaced.

I can’t imagine mine was heat related (outside heat anyway). It was only ~60 degrees outside with partial cloud cover. when it happened to me. The cabin felt like it was no more than about 80 degrees when I got in.

It happened again to me this morning when I was putting something in the car. I didn’t reboot because I wasn’t leaving to go anywhere. I came back a couple hours later to run an errand expecting to have to do the reboot, but it was fine.

I got the static lines for the first time today. It appeared first thing in the morning, garaged, not hot nor cold in garage. I let it go for hours, didn't clearup by itself during the morning errands, cleared up with reboot.

I was on 2018.4 previously, updated to 2018.12.1 on 4/11/18 (last month had a 2018.10 update notification but it was retracted before I could install it).

I got my car on 3/29 and never had any screen issues until this past Monday 4/16. I've had different screen issues.. first was a flashing white screen, another was a black screen, and last night I had the vertical gray lines. Pushing the steering wheel buttons to reset fixed the issues at the time.

Called Tesla about an hour ago and explained the screen issues. They're ordering a new screen for me and will call me to schedule the install when the part is in.

Curious if anyone else got a screen replacement and if that resolved their issues.

I called my local service center yesterday about my issues that happened twice. They pushed 2018.14.7 to my car this afternoon. We will see how that goes.

Only weird thing is what they wrote on the service order.

Concern: Perform firmware update over the air.
Corrections: Firmware General Diagnosis Firmware sent over the air.

They didn’t mention anything about the static colorful vertical lines that I send the service advisor pictures and video of. I am a little mad about them not properly documenting my issue in case it keeps happening.

Also not heat related. Happened to me today with car in garage and temp in 70’s. Every time it’s happened was when screen turned on by getting in car and pressing brake. Reboot fixed and didn’t recur on the drive. Took a picture of screen and sent to local service center. I’ll report the outcome when there is one.

Love these forums for this very reason.

Same issue noted here. Very hot in the vehicle earlier (50C) but started pre-cooling before entering. Opened the door to unlock the charge port and upon the press noticed the screen move more than I liked. Got in to drive and noticed the lines.

I sent an image into the SC, they advised to do the scroll wheel reboot, and also the Power Off reboot, which neither worked.

Appointment booked for next week.

I had this happen once 2 months ago. I don't know what firmware it was at that time. Hasn't happened again since. Definitely not a temperature problem because it was garaged and like 75 degrees.

2018-04-13 15-39-03.jpg

I had vertical lines show up on the top of my screen and it was not hot about 50 here in MN. I reset the screen and they went away but if they come back again I will bring it in for service. I have a 2013 Model S 85 hopefully it goes away.