Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen went black while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tonight while coming home from dinner, we heard this clank sound and the dash went out and a fews seconds later, the main screen went out....we backed in the driveway, and the screen come back...it was re-booting.....anything I should worry about?

mine malfunctioned in the middle of autopilot and rebooted itself. but not before extremely loud blaring sirens which required me to take over, then shut down and turned back up. i'm telling you it shouldn't be normal but.. we're tesla's permanent beta testers whether you like it or not

tonight while coming home from dinner, we heard this clank sound and the dash went out and a fews seconds later, the main screen went out....we backed in the driveway, and the screen come back...it was re-booting.....anything I should worry about?
keep an eye on it. When I first got my car it would do similar things. Over the course of a week then my nav decided I was in Fremont full time but I live in wa state. They had to do a remote reset and everything was ok. Since then I’ve never had it reboot while I was driving.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: croman and SO16
YES you should be worried. NHTSA is currently investigating this as a potential safety issue.

Safety regulators probe Tesla over touch-screen failures

Saw the article as well. It concerns earlier vintage cars which use eMMC. Am sure you are familiar with the issue, but the OP is likely not. Tesla fixed this particular issue for newer cars. Mine is susceptible. As is usually the case, Tesla won’t address it proactively; if it fails Tesla will replace, or you can buy a new MCU 2, which offers other improvements as well. Net is that issue OP is experiencing is unlikely to be the subject of their investigation.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16

What would bother me about this description is the "clank sound." When my Model S screen reboots, which it does more and more often as the car ages, it does not make any noise. Since the OP's car is quite new, there should not be any mechanical failures making clanking noises, so I wonder what that was....

What would bother me about this description is the "clank sound." When my Model S screen reboots, which it does more and more often as the car ages, it does not make any noise. Since the OP's car is quite new, there should not be any mechanical failures making clanking noises, so I wonder what that was....

MCU2 reboots sometimes pop the speakers (some kind of amp timing thing). MCU1 don't. I think that's what is at play.

• Informative
Reactions: Art VandeIay
I may have mis-spoke about the sound.....but there was a definite noise associated with the screen going blank...first off was the dash followed by the screen....it did re-boot after a few minutes and the wi-fi was turned off but came on next drive....my wifes M3 is getting the newest update now but the MS has not got it yet....