Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scroll Wheel Reboot After Installation Of Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

Appreciate your comments regarding “scroll wheel reboot” after installing the latest issued OTA updates from Tesla after reading the following:

I normally refer to not a tesla app’s web page to review the notes associated to the OTA update before proceeding with the installation. But this time I did something different, I referred to the tesla info page (link provided at the bottom) and came across their suggestion of always doing a scroll wheel reboot after installing the update. I thought reboots should only be executed when experiencing issues with the functionality of the software.

Regards,

Wayne

It's absolutely not mandatory. A while back there were crashes fairly often and some people decided that a preemptive reboot after a new software update would help things. It probably did. Now there are way less crashes and software updates are normally fluid. There is no need for a compulsory reboot after each install. I haven't been doing that and haven't had crashes for the last couple years, or at least so little crashes that I don't remember them.

Funny how we sometimes miss things until it happens to us.

This afternoon, my wife called frantic, after having returned to the car from shopping, and she said, “The car won’t go.” Phone only - she could open the door - lock and unlock - no response to the stalk. I quickly looked here, saw the reference to the scroll wheel reboot, particularly after an update, had her do that, and she was back in business.

Good that the info was here to find.

It's absolutely not mandatory. A while back there were crashes fairly often and some people decided that a preemptive reboot after a new software update would help things. It probably did. Now there are way less crashes and software updates are normally fluid. There is no need for a compulsory reboot after each install. I haven't been doing that and haven't had crashes for the last couple years, or at least so little crashes that I don't remember them.

I agree, its not mandatory. With that being said, I use the two scroll wheel reboot after every single update, without fail, every time. I have never experienced any of the "strangeness" that people report after this or that update, either.

I troubleshoot computers and computer systems in my day job, and have done so since about 1990. The joke about tech people asking "have you turned it off and on again" is because they (we) always ask that, because.. it works, a surprising amount of times.

If it is something thats powered, "turning it off and on again" isnt a bad thing.

I also notice that (for example) people who are network engineers or system administrators always want to reboot things "last" as in "have we tried everything else first?" Those are people who run systems whose up time is measured in "9s". Conversely, people who support / troubleshoot either stand alone or non server based systems will normally want to "reboot" things "first" as in the very first thing you do if you experience any symptom whatsoever, and sometimes even if you dont experience symptions, just to ensure there are software memory leaks, etc etc.

Anyway, I reboot my car after every update for sure, and likely more often than that whenever I think about it.

I am also someone who reboots their cellphone at least once a week though, too. If you ask most cellphone users "when is the last time you rebooted your phone?" most couldnt tell you, but if they ask me about "hey, I have a question I have this issue with my "blah blah blah blah".... I ask them have you rebooted it? They usually give me "that look" (that people give when they roll their eyes when someone asks them that), yet when I say "humor me and try it" like 8 out of 10 times it resolves whatever issue, even if it seems unrelated (like "I cant print"? or something like that).

Reactions: Joesmoe3
My wife went to the store again, and again called me, “The car won’t go."

I asked her to perform (AGAIN) the dual scroll wheel “reboot”, and she made it home.

Trying to avoid that definition of insanity where one repeats the same actions, expecting different results - this morning, in the driveway, I performed the “Controls —> Service —> wheel size” change reboot. Changed from 18” (installed) to “19 Sport” —> UPDATE.

Car came back, and I repeated the process, this time changing back to the installed wheels.

We’ll see, next few times my wife takes the car. Fingers crossed.

The problem is, what does "the car won't go" mean? Maybe the phone as key was just not working that one time, it happens. toggling bluetooth on the phone would have been the solution for that particular problem, not a car reboot. You need to properly diagnose the issue. There may have been an informative error message on screen. A reboot isn't always the solution to everything.

The problem is, what does "the car won't go" mean? Maybe the phone as key was just not working that one time, it happens. toggling bluetooth on the phone would have been the solution for that particular problem, not a car reboot. You need to properly diagnose the issue. There may have been an informative error message on screen. A reboot isn't always the solution to everything.
You may well be right. I wasn’t there — on the other end of the phone call. The first time around, tried a number of things, turning off the phone, getting out of the car to lock, unlock, get back in, and so on. When she was getting frustrated, I found this thread, and had her try that, and who knows, but the car would “go” after that was done. What she told me about the screen (when the car is ready, the screen is busy with colored icons, drive selection at the top left, dinging as a reminder to fasten seatbelts, etc, etc. She told me, there was none of that — only an animated cartoon with accompanying message to place a key card on the console in front of the pocket.

Not having a key card with her, I was making backup plans to get in the ICE and go get her - do something.

That's it, the "animated cartoon" of placing the key card just means that the car cannot detect the phone in the car when you press on the brake to "start" it. Her phone might have worked to unlock the car but it didn't work when it was time to "start" the car. It can happen sometimes. You can usually toggle bluetooth on the phone.
But: anyone that intends on driving the car should always have a key card on them just in case. Phones fail, they break, they run out of battery...
You could also have started the car remotely through your mobile app, she would have had 2 minutes to press the brake and then drive.

Reactions: Joesmoe3