TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Scroll wheels on steering wheel Ideas

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by GenSao, May 13, 2018.

1. GenSao

GenSao Member

As Tesla continues to upgrade the software for the Model 3, I think there may be an opportunity for added (advanced) quick controls for the scroll wheels on the steering wheel. First, as a baseline, the current scroll wheel setting (outside of adjustments to the steering wheel and side view mirrors):

Left Scroll Button
    • Press button to Mute/Unmute
    • Scroll up/down adjust volume
    • Scroll right/left next/last song/station
    Right Scroll Button
    • Press button for voice command
    • Scroll up/down adjust speed (Traffic-Aware Cruse Control)
    • Scroll right/left adjust following distance (Traffic-Aware Cruse Control)
    Hold both Left and Right Scroll buttons to restart the touchscreen​

Now, some ideas. What if there was an option to select a secondary set of controls to either scroll button by either a 2-3 second hold or a double tap on either scroll button. The car could give an audible ping to confirm the switch. After 5-10 seconds of no other action, the scroll button would revert back to default setting. Alternatively, pressing the appropriate scroll wheel button once would revert back to default setting. Below are some ideas:

Secondary Audio Menu (Left Scroll Button)
    • Scroll up/down thumbs up or down song
    • Scroll right/left adjust audio input (radio/blue tooth/USB/etc.)
    Environmental Adjustment (right Scroll button)
    • Scroll up/down adjust temperature
    • Scroll right/left adjust vent flow speed
    User Defined Custom Menu (Either Scroll Button)
    • toggle on/off a setting assigned to up, down, left, or right
    • adjust a setting with up/down or left/right
    With this advanced feature, it could mitigate not having a specific button for a setting or a missing stalk (windshield wipers speed). One would be less distracted going to the touch screen for a setting.

Thoughts? What other quick access controls would be nice to get access to from the scroll wheels?

2. jamnmon66

jamnmon66 Member

I really like the ideas. How do we submit that to Tesla?

3. Skidmark

Skidmark Member

There are the same number of functions on the 3's steering wheel as the S/X, so I feel that they should at least allow the right wheel (including left/right) to be customized through the on-screen controls like you can with the S/X (fan/temperature/tacc speed + follow distance)

4. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

Definitely like the suggestions but I'd also like to see Tesla put an emphasis on adding voice commands for the ideas the OP suggested. For example,

"Temperature" <value>
    "Fan speed" <value>
    "Play Favorites <value, 1-10>
    "Thumbs" <value, up or down>
    "Media" <value, Streaming, Tunein, FM, USB, etc.>

• Like x 2
  5. Coeus

Coeus Member

I think it's actually Pause/Unpause. At least, that's how it seems to work for Bluetooth connected devices.

6. fluxemag

fluxemag Member

I have no idea why the right scroll wheel doesn't control temperature yet. At least make it user-assignable.

• Like x 1
  7. skygraff

skygraff Member

Regarding the mirror adjustments, learned through happenstance that a press of the left scroll wheel switches from one mirror to the other so you don't have to use the touchscreen icons.

As for the future, I sincerely hope that they will be user configurable to a certain extent but, if they must be standardized, I expect they'll be contextual dependent upon drive mode and live screen. That being said, it was nice that I was able to change fm radio stations with the left wheel even though the car control screen was open while stopped for a slow train crossing; contextual with some limitations.

8. SigNC

SigNC Member

IMO the right scroll should have other default functions and only control AP when AP is engaged.

• Like x 1
  9. GenSao

GenSao Member

I tweeted the idea to Elon, but I do wonder if there is an official place to make suggestions.

Thanks for the clarification. I was going off the Model 3 Manual.

10. smak

smak Member

I adjust the temperature and fan speed more than anything else, so we could definitely use a better way to control them.

11. GenSao

GenSao Member

Makes sense. The Environmental controls (temperature and fan speed) could be the default function. They can be recalled by an extended press or double tap of the right control wheel when in auto pilot mode.

12. Devanish

Devanish Member

My initial thought is they don't want people to get accustomed to using the right for various things only to one day end up accidentally adjusting the autopilot thinking they are changing fan speed or something, and killing someone. What the need to do is simply enable more voice commands. "Set fan to 1" "Set fan to 7"
    Something like that would greatly improve my quality of life and mental well being.

13. Ohmrun

Ohmrun New Member

Get fan speed on the wheel (right roll ball up and down)—like soon! Using the UI for this function a lot while driving is really distracting/downright dangerous.

This 3 is my third Tesla—and this function is just not an option for the 3 to be as safe as the S and X.

• Like x 1
  14. smak

smak Member

I use fan speed/temp way more than anything else. They should do it.

• Like x 1