Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scuba diving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the Silfra crack...

DSCF2478.jpg

Just wish my photo skills were up to Alex Mustards :(

article-1385589-0BFBB4B800000578-830_634x770.jpg

@smac, where is "Silfra"?

It's a crack formed where the Atlantic and European tectonic plates are drifting apart in Iceland. It is gradually opening up and as it does glacial melt water, which is filtered through old lava flows, fills the gap. Hence the amazing viz. It is quite chilly though :) (Constantly 1-2 degrees c)

It's a "bucket list" dive, but needs to be combined with the other Icelandic attractions to make the trip worthwhile IMO.

Oh of course, now I remember. My wife and I have been Iceland twice and plan to return next year. We were on the shore of that lake three years ago. Too cold for us though. More info at
Silfra in Thingvellir National Park, Iceland - DIVE.IS - Silfra

Definitely an awesome dive!

TBH The drysuits they gave us were pretty good, and combined with some mitts, it was perfectly bearable. If you are in Iceland anyway, and have a basic cert*, I'd be sorely tempted to do it while you are there ;) * You don't need a drysuit speciality, as there is an instructor and they give you the basic training needed for what is after all a pretty simple dive.

The worst part is when you get out and have to carry the gear back to the entry point car park (it's a drift dive with very mild current), I thought I was going to get heat exhaustion :D

Cozumel Trip 10-17 February 2016

My sincere apologies for the delays in getting this finalized. A number of factors were involved, not least of which was my fight with GEICO which wasted nearly six months of this year.

At any rate, everything is now sorted, and the trip is up on the Blue Octopus Scuba web site: http://www.blueoctopusscuba.com/Travel/Cozumel-February-10-17-2016

• Price: $1860 per person, double occupancy
  • All-inclusive, 8 nights, 6 days diving, all meals, open bar
  • Daily pickup at the hotel pier for morning two-tank trip
  • Additional dives (including at least one night dive) can be set up

I hope you can join us - it's always a good time.

Cozumel Trip 10-17 February 2016 - Time is Running Out!

Just a quick note to remind you that we are down to the wire for the February 2016 trip to Cozumel.

If you're planning to go, please call Blue Octopus Scuba today!

After that, we can probably still add some slots, but the price will be higher.

For trip info, go here: http://www.blueoctopusscuba.com/Travel/Cozumel-February-10-17-2016

Cheers...

Curt (PADI Master Instructor #33813)

Hi folks,

I got PADI open water certified about a year ago in Utila. In about two weeks, my g/f and I are going to a Sandals resort in St. Lucia that includes scuba diving. I also just took a local PADI refresher class tonight. But in reality, the St. Lucia trip will be my first "real" dives not part of my OW certification. I also will be diving alone (I mean with anyone I know -- my g/f doesn't dive). So I'm a little apprehensive about going on a real dive boat with real divers I won't know, and I'm about as noob as one can get.

Any words of wisdom?

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and by the way, I never got a chance to try out different dive computers last year, so I think I'm just going to go with a SUUNTO ZOOP. Looks like it has the largest, clearest display, for my aging eyes.

Dirk, how do you get such amazing photos?

Tell the dive master of your concerns. Take it easy, and don't get pressured into anything you are not comfortable with.

Oh, and have fun!

^ this!

We all had to go through this first "proper dive" stage, so people will be understanding.

I would imagine they will want to do a "check dive" with you anyway, which will be a bit like the refresher course, but for the dive operators benefit. Use this as an opportunity to get a bit more relaxed. You may want to see if they offer a shore based orientation dive on top of this before going out on a boat.

One thing you might want to see is if you can get a larger cylinder to start off with, you may have to pay a small supplement, but IMHO it's worth it if in a mixed ability group. You will be using more air, so removing the peer pressure aspect of being first to call the dive is a good thing.

Another tip is try not to get addicted to the level you do your advanced cert, leaving your GF abandoned for too long ;)

Above all else enjoy yourself, and we all look forwarded to hearing a post dive trip report :cool:

I also will be diving alone (I mean with anyone I know -- my g/f doesn't dive). So I'm a little apprehensive about going on a real dive boat with real divers I won't know, and I'm about as noob as one can get.

Any words of wisdom?
Talk to the dive guide on the boat, tell them you are really new and a bit nervous. They'll look out for you. Most importantly relax and don't forget to breathe.

Oh, and by the way, I never got a chance to try out different dive computers last year, so I think I'm just going to go with a SUUNTO ZOOP. Looks like it has the largest, clearest display, for my aging eyes.

Dirk, how do you get such amazing photos?

The Zoop is ok. The display is actually not all that great to read. I much prefer active displays. But those are in a higher price range. Either way, get a data cable and check out Subsurface to log your dive (that's the main open source project I spend my time on these days)

As for the photos? Patience. Decent equipment. Work on your buoyancy. And lots and lots of practice. Mine didn't look like that, either, on the first few hundred dives...

The Zoop is ok. The display is actually not all that great to read. I much prefer active displays. But those are in a higher price range. Either way, get a data cable and check out Subsurface to log your dive (that's the main open source project I spend my time on these days)

I was going by this article: Best Dive Computer Reviews of 2015
That lists these four computers for beginners:

• Oceanic Geo 2 ($400)
  • Cressi Leonardo ($270)
  • Suunto Zoop ($200)
  • Mares Puck Pro ($270)
This article adds two more: 3 DIVE COMPUTERS FOR BEGINNERS - DIVE Magazine

• Oceanic Veo ($200)
  • Mares Smart ($400)

So a 2x price difference for some. Would you suggest any of these over the Zoop?

Also, I had already downloaded Subsurface. As you can imagine, I'm a sucker for data logging apps.

Last edited:
I was going by this article: Best Dive Computer Reviews of 2015
That lists these three computers for beginners:

• Oceanic Geo 2 ($400)
  • Cressi Leonardo ($200)
  • Suunto Zoop ($200)
  • Mares Puck ($150)
This article adds two more: 3 DIVE COMPUTERS FOR BEGINNERS - DIVE Magazine

• Oceanic Veo ($200)
  • Mares Smart ($400)

So a 2x price difference for some. Would you suggest any of these over the Zoop?

Also, I had already downloaded Subsurface. As you can imagine, I'm a sucker for data logging apps.

You'll start an opinion war with a request like that :)

FWIW I am a Suunto fan, I still have my first DC (a Suunto Mosquito from 2004) it had been completely faultless in countless dives and as a daily watch for many years. It's battered and bruised, but it's not surprising it was the computer of choice for many a resort based dive pro ;)

The only reason I upgraded it to the D4i was I broke the strap. As a watch / computer it still works as new. It also has the advantage of a user replaceable battery and is still supported 12 years after launch. I still take it with me on trips anyway, zip tied to my BC as a backup just in case.

For me reliability is the #1 factor, and I trust Suunto to deliver that.