Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scuffed my brand new 20" Performance Gray/Grey wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Just joined the forum. Looks like a place with a huge wealth of experience and knowledge! so here goes my first post...

I have a M3 Performance.... it's 3 weeks old.... I just kerbed the wheels :eek:

To say i'm gutted is an understatement.

So........... l've shown them to a local trusted friend who runs a Valet business and who does a lot of detailing etc. We agreed that over the next year or two it's likely to happen again. Not that i'm planning it, but I guess it makes sense to wait until it's worth spending the money on a full wheel refurb rather than risk doing it potentially several times. So to that end i'm looking for a wheel touch up pen / paint and he is going to very kindly help me make the most of that type of repair. Trouble is, i'm having difficulty finding out what colour they are, or if any companies do a specific touch up pen / kit, of what the best colour match is (people in the US are referring to various Ford colour matches). I really don't want to make them worse by adding the wrong colour.

Just to confirm, these are the 20" Tesla "Gray" wheels. Any help / advice / info hugely appreciated!

In the meantime I continue to curse my pathetic inability to drive around a 5 mph bend and will write to Elon asking if he can send out a download to include some of those child's bowling lane side protector things!

Thanks all. I appreciate your time in replying,

J

That really sucks, sorry it happened. Another option besides color matched paint would be a vinyl wrap in a completing color, black maybe, around the perimeter of the entire wheel, do all four to match.

Yes good suggestions and thanks for the reply. If I make scuff them further that could be a really good alternative to refurbing them. I think for the size of the damage there currently I'd really like to paint the affected area... it's just proving really hard to identify the colour. Most of my online searching leads to American forums and the suggested colour matches there are for Ford Mustangs etc which I'd have to buy and ship from the USA. I guess I can't be the only "scuffer" in the UK so was hoping someone might have some experience and colour or product suggestion. But as said - thanks for the reply. Much appreciated and a good suggestion.

Reactions: Nogasmn
I have the M3 Performance in midnight silver (dark gray). I bought some touch up paint from ebay and it's a pretty close match to the wheels. I haven't needed it yet though...

Thanks for the info! I'll make a note and if I can't find any further info I'll use that as the best match. Thanks! In the meantime - I'd love it if people can continue to reply with their thoughts on this. Likewise, i'll post an update with whatever I do end up doing for the benefit of anyone else needing to know. Thanks again.

Thanks for these! I found them also but was unsure if the colour was the same - as these are for wheels up to 2018 and I thought the new Performance Wheels came out after that (2019) and therefore I was unsure if they are the same colour or being a new design might be a new shade?

Thanks for these! I found them also but was unsure if the colour was the same - as these are for wheels up to 2018 and I thought the new Performance Wheels came out after that (2019) and therefore I was unsure if they are the same colour or being a new design might be a new shade?

The color for the new MY2020 M3P wheels is called “Gunpowder”, which is different than Sonic Carbon Grey.

The color for the new MY2020 M3P wheels is called “Gunpowder”, which is different than Sonic Carbon Grey.

Hi - ok great find! thank you. I've just emailed a car wheel refurb place to see if I can buy or source a kit through them (they sell good value bodywork kits of the full Tesla range, but don't mention wheels on their site that I can see). I'll post back what I find.

Thanks all for the time and info. If anyone in the UK has already done this please shout, if not I'll post for the benefit of others.

Reactions: turns2stone
Update. For the first time in about 10 years I scuffed a wheel - 2" rash on the edge. My excuse is that I had just visited my mother who hasn't got long, wasn't paying attention, was parked close to the kerb and when I pulled away, turned the steering wheel too fast, wheel caught kerb.

Anyway, used 240 grit wet and dry on it to flatten the rash, then used the body paint I mentioned above.

Touch up paint for TESLA | PMNG NEU-112E STEEL GREY / MIDNIGHT SILVER | Pen Kit | eBay

It's so close to the wheel colour as to be indistinguishable. I know the repair is there, but I have to look for it. Really pleased with the result. When I get some dry weather I'll get some reasonably abraisive polish on it to smooth it out even more.

Just have them repaired professionaly. Check my finally happened thread.

I curbed mine taking a turn too quickly at a strangly shaped intersection. It kinda poked inward was an acute angle and I was going to fast. More damage than an oops I bumped the curb.

Update. For the first time in about 10 years I scuffed a wheel - 2" rash on the edge. My excuse is that I had just visited my mother who hasn't got long, wasn't paying attention, was parked close to the kerb and when I pulled away, turned the steering wheel too fast, wheel caught kerb.

Anyway, used 240 grit wet and dry on it to flatten the rash, then used the body paint I mentioned above.

Touch up paint for TESLA | PMNG NEU-112E STEEL GREY / MIDNIGHT SILVER | Pen Kit | eBay

It's so close to the wheel colour as to be indistinguishable. I know the repair is there, but I have to look for it. Really pleased with the result. When I get some dry weather I'll get some reasonably abraisive polish on it to smooth it out even more.

Hi, I've just kerbed my Performance Gray 20s!!!! The colour you used above, was that that for the Dark Grey 20s (which came out in 2020) or a different Tesla wheel set?

Hi, I've just kerbed my Performance Gray 20s!!!! The colour you used above, was that that for the Dark Grey 20s (which came out in 2020) or a different Tesla wheel set?

My Tesla.jpg

My M3 Performance has the dark grey 20", I collected it in December 19. Scuffed the o/s front in February, spent a few minutes wet and drying it then used the above paint - can't see it even when I wash it unless I look very close.

Did anyone manage to actually track down the exact colour code for the wheels?

I spoke to quite a few suppliers and it seemed not many places in the UK or even Europe yet supplied this wheel colour. My solution came via the very helpful [email protected] at Chipex (www.chipex.co.uk). They actually had Tesla send them a wheel to match the colour perfectly in their workshop. Amazing service!

The colour is Tesla "Satin Gunpowder Grey". Once they confirmed the colour they supplied me with: "Car Paint Touch Up Bottle Single 50ml" which comes with a nice little application kit.

I found the colour match to be perfect. My friends at Max Wax (Home Max Wax Car Valeting) helped with the application and we got a very good result. You need to build it up in layers and not rub it back too much. Also 'really' recommend Max Wax for any car detailing and valeting. Really great guys!

You have to really look for it to see it now whereas before I could do nothing but see it every time I walked up to the car! Even whilst I'm cleaning the wheels it doesn't jump out at me (and I know where to look). I'm very pleased and this is a good DIY job that I felt was better than having the wheel completely refurbished. There is still a little evidence, but it's really minor.

Hope this is helpful.

I'm still loving the car!!

J

Please help! Resurrecting an over many years old thread here...
I have a 2020 Model 3 Performance ... I've scuffed the front two alloys and the mrs the rear two in under a year of ownership, doh!
I believe the below to be the correct paint, or powder?? But what clear coat do I ask for? Satin, matt or gloss?