Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scuffs on PPF - how to clean up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got some scuffs on my PPF from running over a tire on the freeway. Can I take some polish and arm muscle to buff these out, or is the only way to remove them by getting new film?

IMG-6903.jpg

Here is a great video from Larry at AMMO NYC. Skip ahead to time mark 10:05 and he discusses removing tire rubber from clear bra (just another term for PPF). Basically you use a microfiber towel with a dab of liquid sealant on it and rub the rubber off. I was surprised at this very simple suggestion, but it really seemed to work. If that doesn't work, I would then try a degreaser. Even a household degreaser like Fantastik, 409 cleaning spray, or Simple Green would probably work.

You always want to start with the least aggressive method and move on to the next more aggressive method only if the first one failed. I would only use a clay bar on the PPF if the sealant or degreaser didn't work.

BTW, in the first part of the video, he talks about removing tire rubber from car paint with no PPF. Do not follow the advice here because he suggests using a heat gun to soften the rubber. But he said you should NOT use a heat gun on PPF as this could damage the PPF.