Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SDG&E EV Climate Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some people have expressed some disappointment at the $50/year compared to PG&E's current offer of $500 one time per VIN. I'm wondering out loud how different utilities arrive at different answers when they are regulated by the same body.

Personally, I think the best way to account for LCFS credits is to do dedicated EV charging metering and build the credit into the tariff. Every kWh used to charge a car should get a proportional rebate built-in.

Miimura, the minimum of $50 was an initial estimate.

The program is an annual program and runs through 2020. The amount of the credit depends on the dollar amount of LCFS credits sold, minus the costs of the program, divided by the number of drivers who registered for the credit.

Both PG&E and SCE decided to estimate the future value of the credits, the number of the drivers involved and the cost of the program in advance and issue a one-time check for the program.

SDG&E decided to do it one year at a time, based on the LCFS credit price in the marketplace and the number of drivers signed up. After collecting driver signups for 4 months and selling LCFS credits, the amount for the 2017 EV Climate Credit was just released and it was $200 (a credit on the driver's bills will begin soon). Future years will bring additional EVCC credits, through 2020.

SDG&E allowed customers to register more than one qualifying car this year. Does that mean that each qualifying car will receive the same credit of $200 or does the amount of the credit vary by the type of car? Plug-in hybrids qualified for the credit just as EVs qualified but I'm wondering if the dollar amount is the same for both types of cars.

The question about the ability to carryover unused credits is a good one. I would like to know the answer to that one as well.

That's very good news @RandyS One SDG&E customer wondered in another thread what would happen if their monthly bill was a small fraction of the Climate Credit that appeared on his bill. Would the utility cut a check for the excess?

You can always get a check cut for excess credit (same answer if your annual solar PV trueup leaves you with a credit). I had a credit last year after my solar trueup and used the chat function to connect with a rep. and get the transaction done...Sometimes the phone takes longer...

SDG&E allowed customers to register more than one qualifying car this year. Does that mean that each qualifying car will receive the same credit of $200 or does the amount of the credit vary by the type of car? Plug-in hybrids qualified for the credit just as EVs qualified but I'm wondering if the dollar amount is the same for both types of cars.

The question about the ability to carryover unused credits is a good one. I would like to know the answer to that one as well.

Frankman, each qualifying car does receive the $200 credit. It gets to be too much admin. overhead to start tracking energy consumption per car to figure the credit due. Many of the cars are not separately metered. In fact, some plugin hybrid owners drive even more all electric miles than some of the sub-100 mile EVs, so you can't even make the assumption that a BEV drives more electric miles than a Volt (for example)...

Thanks RandyS. I looked at my account today and found three $200 credits posted for the three cars I registered with SDG&E several months ago. It's interesting that my MS has the same amount of credit as my 5 year old Chevy Volt. But I understand what you mean about tracking energy consumption by car model.

I'm not complaining about free cash, but i'd rather see SDG&E put this towards installing at ton more L2 chargers, or maybe subsidizing demand charges for companies putting in EV chargers.
My understanding is that they don't really have a choice. They get the money from the State's Low Carbon Fuel Standard program and they have to disburse the funds to ratepayers who drive on electric fuel in their territory.

Maybe you could donate your share to Adopt-A-Charger or similar.

Sorry, low on ammo.
giphy.gif

Seriously though, if i could get decent L2 downtown I'd gladly throw in the $200. I probably nearly spend that just on parking fees at the county building on Kettner.

Just got my $500 credit, and according to the SDGE press release, about 13,500 EV owners/lessees received credits in 2018 - and I assume everyone got the same $500 amount. That compares to 2017, when only 6,900 credits were issued, in the amount of $200...so apparently the available funds for this program were drastically increased.

Just got my $500 credit, and according to the SDGE press release, about 13,500 EV owners/lessees received credits in 2018 - and I assume everyone got the same $500 amount. That compares to 2017, when only 6,900 credits were issued, in the amount of $200...so apparently the available funds for this program were drastically increased.

Yes, apparently the market value of the carbon credits that fund this program went way up.