Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SDG&E or SDCP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone familiar with San Diego Community Power? This is for homes with solar panels that San Diego default in moving to their program.

I am not sure if I read their rates properly, it looks like they are charging more than SDG&E.

Hope someone can explain their experience so I can decide to opt out or not.

Anyone familiar with San Diego Community Power? This is for homes with solar panels that San Diego default in moving to their program.
It sounds like a Community Choice Aggregation provider. CCAs are becoming popular in California and offer benefits in addition to alternative power mixes. It is not limited to homes with solar panels. I have Sonoma Clean Power in my area and it provides value to me.

I installed solar panels in 2021 and my first NEM true-up is scheduled for March 2022. I just received a letter from San Diego Community Power saying my SDGE account will automatically enroll into SDCP after the true-up. I'm currently on the TOU-DR plan with SDGE and have no idea if this is going to cost my more money or less? If SDSGE wants me to move, my gut tells me it's not in my best interest. All I care about is my energy rates, since I am already doing my part for generating clean energy. It looks like I can opt out of the enrollment, any suggestions on what I should do?

SDGE doesn't want you to move but the rules adopted by the legislature mean that you are automatically opted in to SDCP. There are other incentives that CCAs can offer that make them worthwhile. I have been on Sonoma Clean Power for four years and overall it has been a good value.

I opted out after calling them. Their Customer Service is useless. The nice lady talked to their co-workers and gave me useless canned answer.

I saw on their website of their rates, they charge the same regardless of which plan you are on. I am on TOU5. Why would I pay $16 more a month if the DR charges the same rate. By the way, they charge more for summer, based off their website.

Oh, the CS call.....The canned answer I got was.... The rates are given by SDG&E. Cannot tell me if that is a typo or not. If they don't know what they are charging me, I rather stick with the evil SDG&E.

And why do I want to pay TrueUp monthly? That is the point of TrueUp, keep the credit or debt per month, and pay one time a year. That way, I can bank on months solar produces too much, and to offset for months I use too much. I don't want pennies back to sell to them when solar produces too much on those months. And buy at market rate later when I do need more electricity.

For my Schedule TOU-DR, I was able to compare SDCP's electricity generation rates to SDGE and SDCP is lower, however, SDGE provides a Baseline Adjustment Credit and it seems SDCP does not. So it seems to be an "apples to oranges" comparison right now.

Can someone confirm how the 130% Baseline Adjustment Credit is calculated? I can't reconcile to my monthly invoice numbers.

I installed solar panels in 2021 and my first NEM true-up is scheduled for March 2022. I just received a letter from San Diego Community Power saying my SDGE account will automatically enroll into SDCP after the true-up. I'm currently on the TOU-DR plan with SDGE and have no idea if this is going to cost my more money or less? If SDSGE wants me to move, my gut tells me it's not in my best interest. All I care about is my energy rates, since I am already doing my part for generating clean energy. It looks like I can opt out of the enrollment, any suggestions on what I should do?

I'm in the same circumstance as you, solar + EV. My solar generation over the year is a bit more in kWh than consumption.

What I plan to do: Move to SDCP, opt up to the 100% renewable rate, and stay on yearly-true-up instead of monthly. Given that I generate more than I consume, if both generation and consumption rates are slightly higher with 100% renewable, it still means that charges will be fully offset.

It is minor virtue signaling (at no cost)---less money to SDG&E and pro renewable power---but these are authentically virtuous and they deserve to be signalled by action.

Reactions: Ampster
I am with Sonoma Clean Power in PG&E territory and long term they offer more incentives. I agree with @DrChaos it is sending a message to my Investor Owned Utility. The CCAs like these are non profits run by the cities and counties in which they operate. The boards are elected officials from the area.

Bump...

Anyone on SDCP have any updated thoughts vs. SDGE after switching?

There is also this thread (Maybe they can be merged?):

My main concern is someone is automatically enrolled in SDCP which in my skeptical mind, makes me think it's worst/bad for the consumer (like ToU was which everyone was forced to). I don't like the monthly billing (and can opt out of that) and do people get bills for Gas from SDG&E as well (just more people to have to pay)?

A middle man seems like more fingers to point and just more mouths to feed unless SDG&E really doesn't want generation customers and will make it painful for people who stay on, but it sounds like they were forced to do this?

Reactions: RCP401
Bump...

Anyone on SDCP have any updated thoughts vs. SDGE after switching?

There is also this thread (Maybe they can be merged?):

My main concern is someone is automatically enrolled in SDCP which in my skeptical mind, makes me think it's worst/bad for the consumer (like ToU was which everyone was forced to). I don't like the monthly billing (and can opt out of that) and do people get bills for Gas from SDG&E as well (just more people to have to pay)?

A middle man seems like more fingers to point and just more mouths to feed unless SDG&E really doesn't want generation customers and will make it painful for people who stay on, but it sounds like they were forced to do this?

SDCP is not worse than SDGE at all. The rates aren't lower yet, but the energy mix is cleaner. Furthermore I expect long term the rates to go up less than SDGE would as SDCP doesn't have a motivation to over charge, and it would show competition and that would restrain SDGE energy charges (not delivery which is where they are most egregiously overcharging).