Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sealing cable entry hole in HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've installed my HPWC on the outside of my house, with my 6/3 wiring entering from the inside, and plan to use 50-60A power for it (yes, yes, I know, I plan to use the HPWC for convenience instead of a 14-50 outlet, and we don't have a 200 A main service).

I drilled the recommended 1 1/4" hole in the back of my HPWC, and the 6/3 wire is just under 1" thick. This leaves a gap, obviously. While my installation is pretty well sheltered from rain, etc, I think that back hole is a risk for bug entry and moisture. You can see the stucco is heavily textured so the HPWC cannot be flush to the wall.

Currently I'm planning to seal this space using ALEX Plus (indoor/outdoor silicone/latex sealant), and using duct tape with a X cut in it to let the wire through and simply act as a backing (so the sealant doesn't just ooze out the back). A grommet would be great, but since grommets stick out the backside to form their rim, I think it would bump up against the metal backing plate, thus I don't think the HPWC will sit on the plate properly.

What are people doing in this situation? Any feedback on my plan?

Thanks...
- Steve
HPWC.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion. I might opt for this in the future: I'd bet shipping just one grommet isn't with it, but now I know what to look for.

I've tried looking locally to no avail. I suspect I'll just seal it as I thought since I need to finish the install ASAP anyhow.