TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

searching for people who have invested life savings in Tesla stock for possible story

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by danahull, Aug 8, 2013.

1. mershaw2001

mershaw2001 Member

I did invest my life savings and more into Tesla common stock at 28, and maxed out my margin too. I sold most before the top, and I doubt that you will find anyone who held their entire life savings in it all the way to 153. Anyway, I'll shoot you an email.

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Dana needs the "I was there" "13" under her name. :)

3. DaveT

DaveT Searcher of green pastures

You'd be surprised. :)

4. mershaw2001

mershaw2001 Member

Congrats to you, I had 150% of my money in tesla for several years and took money off the table as it went up over 40.

5. aznt1217

aznt1217 Active Member

I still do lol

6. Convert2013

Convert2013 Member

I put in all of life savings. Got in at $52, have held all the way through. But have an "insurance policy". Will be adding more shares as I go. Missed most of the Apple ride, all of Google, don't want to miss this one, which will be bigger than both.

7. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

8. justdoit

justdoit Member

Well, I guess I did but that probably doesn't mean too much considering I had very little "life savings". I remember wanting to get involved very early after college when it was around low $20's, but just didn't have any "savings". Was married, looking for a job, etc. I guess as soon as I was able to start saving a little money each month, I started putting it in at the low $30's and high $20's. And that's continued till just about now. Used to be only stock (buy and hold) but just got into options. Wish I would have known about options earlier :)

Now that I'm thinking back at all the things I did, I was (am ? ) pretty irresponsible. I never even expected this type of growth. I'm still 100% in TSLA in my personal account, IRA, and wifes accounts. So now need to really consider whether I should diversify or at least hedge with some puts (I didn't even used to do that!).

Will try to send you an email. Would love to also hear some others stories. I know I'm not alone :)

9. marvinat0rz

marvinat0rz Member

Student here, I put in ~50% of my net worth at $34/share. My net worth is quite low, I expect to make decent money when I graduate, I have no dependents and my student loans are all dirt cheap (.5 percentage points higher than inflation, lower than a normal savings account). So it was a gamble, while seeing Tesla's potential.

I have been in the whole way up, but I'm seriously considering taking some profits now. It's now the second time I get serious vertigo. The original intent was to keep the stock for 10 years as the company executed their vision, but the stock price is today where I thought it would be five years from now. Keep in mind that your news story could end up looking very silly in 3 years as the valuation goes down 50% from today's extremely bullish and forward-looking level ;)