TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Seat won't recline

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ai4px, Jun 29, 2018.

1. ai4px

ai4px Member

All of the sudden, out of the blue, my driver's seat wouldn't recline. Turns out the problem is that the seat base was adjusted all the way to the floor, lowest position. If you move the seat up the least amount off from the lowest sitting position, the back of the seat will recline again.

The driver profile switch wouldn't move the seat... it just kept the spinning indicator going. I ended up calling Tesla and am waiting for a callback from the ranger crew to sched an appointment... alas, I don't need it... I just started fiddling with the seat and it started working. It is repeatable... lower the seat to the floor and it won't recline.

Hope this saves someone the trouble of learning this like I did.

• Informative x 2
  2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I’m trying to remember what ‘stupid’ power seats in cars years ago did in this case. We had the old 12 way (or whatever) seats and when you had them all the way up or down or something and tried to tilt them, the same thing happened. I think it just overrode the max limit and moved anyway since you wanted it tilted or reclined it or whatever.

Wonder if they made these too smart and had them do ‘nothing’?

3. ai4px

ai4px Member

I think the driver profile mode painted itself in a corner... One of my taller kids programmed the seat all the way to the floor and saved the profile... that seems to be the root of the problem.

• Informative x 1
  4. Nick_tok

Nick_tok Member

Thank u sir this is very helpful ! I was about to schedule for the service as well . Thanks to u I won’t be needing one

• Like x 1