Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adjust Seat Back Beyond Factory Forward Limit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At its most vertical setting, my 'SS MSP driver's side seat back is still about 6-12" more reclined than I want it to be. I have lost count of the number of times I have instinctively tried to adjust it further forward immediately upon getting in the car. Is there any known way to move the back forward past the current limit? It can't be a bolster issue as I've had cars with more aggressive side bolsters that could be adjusted more vertically than the Tesla. I've also tried the "re-calibration" thing a few times and that didn't make a difference. Would make a world of difference in my seating position comfort if I could just get that back a little more upright.

Update - raising rear of seat didn't work for me. Did not bring the seat back forward enough, if at all, and raised the seat (duh) which is an issue for me as I already consider the lowest setting to still be too high. I just need the back to come forward just a little more and for the life of me can't understand why Tesla chose to limit the forward range of motion where they did. I'm guessing I'm stuck here absent a Tesla software update of some sort.

My 2020 does have a separate seat bottom front and seat bottom rear adjustment. When I raise the rear seat bottom up- stopping when it starts also raising the seat front, and then adjust the seat back angle to the most upright, it is about 90 degrees, straight up and down. I cannot tilt it any further than 90%.

I revisited DD's suggestion and while I don't have it quite where I really want it, I did manage to get it a little more vertical although that came at the price of sitting a little higher than I like. Another Tesla compromise I'm having to make. A lifetime of questionable decisions involving sports, military, and parachutes in particular have done a number on my back and there is a sweet spot for my seating position that I am falling just short of reaching due to this particular issue. The bolster idea might be my next step, particularly if we take the car on a long road trip, but I hope it doesn't have to come to that. Appreciate the help folks.

Reactions: DerbyDave
At its most vertical setting, my 'SS MSP driver's side seat back is still about 6-12" more reclined than I want it to be. I have lost count of the number of times I have instinctively tried to adjust it further forward immediately upon getting in the car. Is there any known way to move the back forward past the current limit? It can't be a bolster issue as I've had cars with more aggressive side bolsters that could be adjusted more vertically than the Tesla. I've also tried the "re-calibration" thing a few times and that didn't make a difference. Would make a world of difference in my seating position comfort if I could just get that back a little more upright.
I had this issue and found out from the mobile service that his is a calibration issue. I submitted a ticket and someone came out and hooked up their laptop and solved the issue in 2 minutes. The settings for the seat have to be reset. I was told this bug happens sometimes after an update.

After they recalibrate your seat, you'll be able to tilt forward all the way to the vertical position.

Reactions: AudiA4
I had mine recalibrated by service since this was an issue on mine as well. It’s better but wish it would tilt forward a little more still. Before going in for service, I tried the calibration option in the service menu and it didn’t help so I would suggest scheduling a service appointment.

I have heard it might not stay and will revert back which is discouraging since I don’t want to keep taking it in for this issue.

RGR. Not sure I want to mess with the pleather, but may have to look into that. What I really need is for the seat-back to come forward maybe another 6-12" and it would be perfect. As it is, the closest I can get to my preferred seating position is to incline the back of the seat itself as DerbyDave suggested and I still feel like I'm reclined into the back seat in that position.

RGR. Not sure I want to mess with the pleather, but may have to look into that. What I really need is for the seat-back to come forward maybe another 6-12" and it would be perfect. As it is, the closest I can get to my preferred seating position is to incline the back of the seat itself as DerbyDave suggested and I still feel like I'm reclined into the back seat in that position.
Adding foam into the seat back / upper is quite easy.

I revisited DD's suggestion and while I don't have it quite where I really want it, I did manage to get it a little more vertical although that came at the price of sitting a little higher than I like. Another Tesla compromise I'm having to make. A lifetime of questionable decisions involving sports, military, and parachutes in particular have done a number on my back and there is a sweet spot for my seating position that I am falling just short of reaching due to this particular issue. The bolster idea might be my next step, particularly if we take the car on a long road trip, but I hope it doesn't have to come to that. Appreciate the help folks.
Once you get your seat recalibrated, your seat back will go back to the 90 degree position.

Reactions: Georgesb2