Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seattle area RTA registration tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got delivery on Sunday (Sept 2). It showed 3A Registration/Transfer/Titling fees of 125.75, and 3E RTA County Fee of 385, for a total government fees of 510.75. Non-P AWD. 583/0.011 means you're getting the RTA tax on 53,000. Is that how much your car is costing, or did someone fat-finger the entry and transpose the 3 and 5?

Just a heads up...

Friend who got his Model 3 back in December 2017 got his renewal notice not too long ago. Back then, his RTA was $385. DOL Renewal notice now shows $601 as part of the RTA portion which matches up exactly to a depreciation schedule of 95% of the entire purchase price of the vehicle instead of the $35,000 MSRP...

Just a heads up...

Friend who got his Model 3 back in December 2017 got his renewal notice not too long ago. Back then, his RTA was $385. DOL Renewal notice now shows $601 as part of the RTA portion which matches up exactly to a depreciation schedule of 95% of the entire purchase price of the vehicle instead of the $35,000 MSRP...

Ugh. That SUCKS. Is that on top of the $150 electric vehicle annual fee? What was the total tab renewal? $800+? That’s insane.

@drawfour - I got a AWD model which is $53k: $35k (base), $9k (LR), $5k (Premium Interior), and $4k (AWD) and then the "options" of Obsidian Black, EAP, FSD, which were all listed seperately. The purchase agreement shows a base price of $53k with the LR, interior, AWD as "included".

Checking the DoR, it shows it should be $385.

Ugh. That SUCKS. Is that on top of the $150 electric vehicle annual fee? What was the total tab renewal? $800+? That’s insane.

Yup. Just shy of $900...

TMty1IJ.png

Full purchase price was $57,500. 95% of $57,500, multiplied by 1.1% is... $601.

I'm scheduled to pickup on Sunday and the MVPA is showing $583 for the tax. The configuration paperwork had it at $385. For people taking delivery now, what are they paying?
Yup. Just shy of $900...

TMty1IJ.png

Full purchase price was $57,500. 95% of $57,500, multiplied by 1.1% is... $601.

Disgusting. The wife is not going to be happy about that. I am also not happy. It’s freaking ridiculous. Essentially wipes out the tax credit over the life of a loan.

@drawfor
Boy I would love it if my brand new car depreciated only 5% in the first year.....

Depending on when you took delivery, that might just happen. But that is due to very unique circumstances.

1. If you took delivery prior to May 31, you paid $3,500 less in sales tax than a buy would today. (Will buyers at the start of 2019 get this)?
2. If you configured prior to mid June (don't remember the exact date), Red and White were $1000 cheaper than today.
3. If you configured prior to mid July (don't remember exact date), OBM, Blue, MSM, and Silver were all $500 cheaper than today. Oh and if you missed the $1000 cheaper red/white those were $500 cheaper than today.
4. If you configured prior to June 30 then you got free premium connectivity for life ($100/year for new buyers)
5. If you configured prior to md July, delivery/doc fees were $200 less than today
6. If you configured prior to mid July, AWD was $1000 less than today
7. If you got a Performance model prior to Sept 16 you should have gotten free supercharging for life (vs. 1 year after 9/16)
8. If you take delivery today, you will get an extra $5,625 in tax credits compared this time next year

It isn't possible to have taken advantage of all of the above (you couldn't get the state tax credit and cheaper AWD as the time doesn't overlap), but the total benefits are at least worth $8000 compared to what a new buyer taking delivery next year would get. Assuming the prices don't change and there is no major tech improvement decreasing the value of older models (a big assumption), then you might be able to sell your Model 3 for 95% of your net price (after tax credits) this time next year.

Granted this is a very special case of Tesla raising prices combined with the tax credits going away.

I spoke with a manager at the Bellevue DC and was told that the pricing page and base RTA tax calculation is based on when you place the order. She did confirm that some people showed $35000 base while other showed a different number. The difference was based on how the pricing sheet worked on the day they configured. I requested it to be changed and was told it would require the contract to be rewritten, at which point the new pricing (more expensive paint, AWD, delivery, and connectivity) would be used.

She contacted Fremont and spoke with both the contracts team and the admin team and was told the contract couldn't be changed.

She did say the RTA tax was based on the information Tesla provides the DoR, not just the pricing sheet in my hand so it is possible it might still be $385. I don't know if it is possible to dispute it with the pricing sheet written the way it is.

EDIT: SHE DID IT!!!! The I just got a new pricing sheet with $35,000 shown as the base so it was possible to change it.

It's 1.1% of msrp (35k) the first year and then progressively less each year after.

Would make it technically, $366 ($365.75 rounded up to the nearest dollar). I'm hoping someone who gets their renewal notice soon showing that amount for the RTA line item. So far, we have one example where someone paid $385 initially during delivery, then shot up to over $600 for their first renewal.