Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seattle area RTA registration tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it the same DOL registration that lists out all of the other individual fees (like $5 for the agent fee, and then something like 0.25 & 2.00 for some technology fees), or is it something from Tesla?

I've seen a post of the DOL version for a car registered in Seattle. It definitely has the Seattle fee broken out individually. Haven't seen the Tesla version of the doc.

Yes, it has all the other items broken out. My MSRP was $54k (actually paid $53,330) + $1200 delivery/doc which equates to $607 exactly. Though even today it still seems to be a crap shoot whether paint/wheels/AP should be included, or not and just Base+AWD.

Reactions: MarkBrokeIt
While I didn’t read all 9 pages of this thread, the title reminded me of how lucky I am to like in the “unincorporated King County” part of Renton. No RTA and sales tax total is 8.6% for all services at my address (like a new roof, etc.).

I was charged $1034 for RTA (Total registration was $1188 ish - cant remember exactly)
However, I only paid $63,000 for the car brand new?
Anyone ever challenged the RTA tax? Anything I can do?

This doesn’t seem right. The EV fee is $150 plus another $75 electric fee. The tabs fee is $30 plus some other smaller fees. Are you sure the RTA was $1034?! Do you have an S, X, or 3?

Second year registration for my P3D was nearly $700. A big part was the excise tax (about half) but the new ST3 tax (~$300) and new "EV tax" ($150) are not making me happy. They are already making over $200m from toll facilities alone but it seems the state will continue doing all it can to milk drivers for every cent possible, especially hybrid/EV owners.

You lucked out and they are basing your RTA off the $35,000 base price.

2015 85D
$1119.25
of which $801.00 is RTA tax

Thinking of switching to a new 3 just to pay a lower RTA tax (makes little sense I know). Would also get AP2+ with it at least.

I'm in Renton, Unincorporated King County. I'm still waiting for my plate and registration (LR AWD, w/FSD and premium White interior). Given my zip code, 98058-0482, there won't be an RTA line item/charge. Tesla-Bellevue assumed on the purchase agreement that my total registration fee would be something like $140 (added cost for new plates).

I'm in Renton, Unincorporated King County. I'm still waiting for my plate and registration (LR AWD, w/FSD and premium White interior). Given my zip code, 98058-0482, there won't be an RTA line item/charge. Tesla-Bellevue assumed on the purchase agreement that my total registration fee would be something like $140 (added cost for new plates).

You will pay the $150 EV fee, $75 electrification fee, $30 tab fee and a couple other smaller fees I think.

Good to know. I wonder why then Tesla only withheld something under $150 as part of the purchase agreement? Why the $150 EV fee? What's that about?

It's because you are no longer paying tax on gas which is used to repair the roads so the gov't needs to get that tax payment from EV users via the EV fee/tax. Some states are increasing their EV taxes even higher now.

upload_2019-7-15_13-8-17.png

Interesting - No EV fee?