Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seattle area RTA registration tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, 6 weeks.... Still waiting here at the beginning of week #4.

Well, my plates finally arrived today, along with the registration - Just under a month total. Less than $140 total :D;) Thank you, Unincorporated King County part of Renton!

r1.jpg

I live outside the RTA area, but on Tesla's price sheet they still added the $385 RTA, does that mean they will charge me during delivery, and I'll get a refund when the registration is actually processed by the state? That seems to be how other dealers handle difference in tax.

I live outside the RTA area, but on Tesla's price sheet they still added the $385 RTA, does that mean they will charge me during delivery, and I'll get a refund when the registration is actually processed by the state? That seems to be how other dealers handle difference in tax.
I live outside the RTA area as well. I called Bellevue SC before delivery and gave them my nine digit zip code, as the base five digit zip code is in RTA land (98058). When I took delivery, the PO correctly estimated registration fees at $150. I got a small check back later.

This is the worst tax ever. I am not sure if it makes any sense.

you pay 150 for driving an electric car because you have to pay for roads, etc.
however, you also pay 75 dollars for building charging infrastructure - which gasoline cars don't pay
on top, we ALL pay the damn RTA - which essentially fills sound transit's pockets directly. they should just extend the map boundary and reduce it per head.

what is the point of buying an electric car in this state?

I wonder how many people think of these costs before getting an EV.

however, you also pay 75 dollars for building charging infrastructure - which gasoline cars don't pay
on top, we ALL pay the damn RTA - which essentially fills sound transit's pockets directly. they should just extend the map boundary and reduce it per head.

It’s because we are all tree huggers... o_O

One could say those who drive gas cars pay the "EV $150" and "charging $75" in installments every time they go to a gas station.

RTA tax looks like an attempt to reduce congestion within the zones served. People who lie outside the area can drive to the Park and Ride then take the bus.

Nevada is not far behind... I am expecting the road tax to get levied in the next few years here.

the $150 is essentially the equivalent to the gas tax for road usage. The extra $75 is excessive and the RTA tax is garbage.