Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SEC pursuing a contempt charge for tweet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is well known that SEC is full of pedo guys, hence problem solved!

[/s]

BTW, how is that flimsy defence of defamation against Mr Unsworth holding up, I wonder?
Unless I am greatly mistaken he should soon be receiving a hefty check from California, gift-wrapped in a grovelling formal apology. Musk's lawyers (insofar as he can retain any worth listening to) would be mad to let him take that one into court ...

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: juanmedina
CNBC floated the idea of Musk being removed as CEO as a result of this, though noted it was very very unlikely. Pretty amazing that we're probably going to turn green the day after such action by the SEC and the ensuing media narrative.

To me....that makes Elon's direct repudiation of this action worth it. Pointing out corruption isia goodgthing. Potential red state customers probably loved this, therefore it's good for sales too.

Reactions: replicant
As I said in the other thread, are there any lawyers here? In my opinion as an investor, Musk's 'around 500k' statement wasn't material.

We should file an amicus brief to the judge saying that, and saying that the SEC's overreactions to trivialities are hurting investors. Might also be worth noting that the SEC has ignored blatant, provable lies being published by short-sellers.

But a lawyer who knows how to file amicus briefs would have to lead this.

SEC makes a fairly compelling argument that Musk himself provides the evidence that he always intended to vacillate with the process and have probably been preparing this enforcement action since the CBS interview aired, confident that he would soon make it easy for them. His ego-stroking games can easily cost $420 millions and/or disbarment as CEO and/or 6 month cage-rest in jail this time, ironically feeding the shorts more than the SEC could ever do ... but I suppose some people can only learn the hard way to cut out the BS:

[extract from p.14 of SEC's motion for order to show cause]

Musk has not made a diligent or good faith effort to comply with the provision of the Court’s Final Judgment requiring pre-approval of his written communications about Tesla. Less than two months after the Court entered its Final Judgment, Musk publicly indicated that he was not serious about compliance with this provision. On December 9, 2018, the CBS television program 60 Minutes aired an interview of Musk by Lesley Stahl that had taken place the previous week.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk: The 60 Minutes Interview (Dec. 9, 2018).

During the interview, Stahl asked Musk about Tesla’s oversight of his tweets after his settlement with the SEC:

Lesley Stahl: Have you had any of your tweets censored since the settlement?

Elon Musk: No.

Lesley Stahl: None? Does someone have to read them before they go out?

Elon Musk: No.

Lesley Stahl: So your tweets are not supervised?

Elon Musk: The only tweets that would have to be say reviewed would be if a tweet had a probability of causing a movement in the stock.

Lesley Stahl: And that’s it?

Elon Musk: Yeah, I mean otherwise it’s, “Hello, First Amendment.” Like Freedom of Speech is fundamental.

Lesley Stahl: But how do they know if it’s going to move the market if they’re not reading all of them before you send them?

Elon Musk: Well, I guess we might make some mistakes. Who knows?

Lesley Stahl: Are you serious?

Elon Musk: Nobody’s perfect.

Lesley Stahl: Look at you.

Elon Musk: I want to be clear. I do not respect the SEC. I do not respect them.

Lesley Stahl: But you're abiding by the settlement, aren’t you?

Elon Musk: Because I respect the justice system.

Id. (emphasis added).

At the time of this interview, Tesla had not yet implemented its Court-mandated procedures governing oversight of Musk’s tweets about Tesla. But before the Policy even took effect, Musk’s statements in the interview, “I guess we might make some mistakes,” and “Nobody’s perfect,” support the view that he did not intend to diligently attempt to comply with the Policy or, in turn, the Court’s Final Judgment. In fact, in response to the SEC’s February 20 request for information, Musk andTesla state that, since Tesla’s Policy was implemented in December 2018, Musk’s tweets have been reviewed after their publication, but there is no suggestion that Musk has sought or obtained pre-approval of any tweet prior to publishing it.

See Exhibit 4, at 2 (providing examples of written communications that have been pre-approved that do not include any of Musk’s tweets; noting that Designated Securities Counsel has reviewed “past written communications.”). While Musk claims to “respect the justice system,” his deliberate indifference to compliance with this Court’s Final Judgment indicates otherwise.

Does it really matter? If found guilty, it would just be a fine. It would be like a parking ticket for Elon really. It is kind of like those TV court dramas where the lawyer says something knowing that there will be an "objection your honor" and then just immediately "retract the question". What said cannot be unsaid... and if it is a contempt charge, so be it.

Does it really matter? If found guilty, it would just be a fine. It would be like a parking ticket for Elon really. It is kind of like those TV court dramas where the lawyer says something knowing that there will be an "objection your honor" and then just immediately "retract the question". What said cannot be unsaid... and if it is a contempt charge, so be it.

There's an important job being held open for you at Tesla's Chilled Legal Division! :D

• Disagree
Reactions: TheTalkingMule
Is this only about tweets or all communications? Elon did an interview last week where he basically declared FSD is ready to go this year. that seems like an important material statement.
Does this fall under the umbrella? Did Tesla say: You can go out and announce this! *shrug*

Reactions: OPRCE
The issue is that his tweets would be reviewed and they aren’t. Tesla admitted such in this case.

I suspect the contempt will be upheld.
Elon is required to have all tweets reviewed that would have a MATERIAL IMPACT on the marketplace. Simply repeating projections from a weeks-old earnings report is not material to anything.

CNBC floated the idea of Musk being removed as CEO as a result of this, though noted it was very very unlikely. Pretty amazing that we're probably going to turn green the day after such action by the SEC and the ensuing media narrative.

To me....that makes Elon's direct repudiation of this action worth it. Pointing out corruption isia goodgthing. Potential red state customers probably loved this, therefore it's good for sales too.

I fail to grasp the logic here:

1. Are you proposing Musk should continue to push his luck by breaching legal agreements to which he subscribed and that this will somehow teach the SEC a moral lesson by having the Judge drop a gavel on him?

2. How is it corruption that they pulled him up on his demonstrably fake news of "funding secured"?

3. How exactly can this arrant foolishness help Tesla sales?

Elon is required to have all tweets reviewed that would have a MATERIAL IMPACT on the marketplace. Simply repeating projections from a weeks-old earnings report is not material to anything.

4. Wrong, he and Tesla are both required to have all drafts of statements reasonably likely to affect market valuation pre-approved for publication by their securities lawyers. Which is precisely what he has not done in this case, as the lawyers only reviewed the offending Tweet and issued a correction 4 hours after it had flown the coop, effectively landing them both once again in the heiße Scheiße.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt L
Frankly, the Saudis said they had funding. They lied to Musk.

Musk made some other statements which really should have liability attached back then, which is why he had to settle. (I won't repeat them, but he should have known the rules about who can be invested in a private company.) If it had been just over "funding secured", he would have won.

Frankly, the Saudis said they had funding. They lied to Musk.

Even if true, that is entirely immaterial. It is like arguing that defamation of your neighbour is legal because you found a post-it note on the pavement that said he was a pedo guy. Telling lies is generally not illegal, whereas defamation and securities fraud certainly are. It is CEO Musk's duty to shareholders to ensure that his own public statements are 100% true and beyond reproach, irregardless of the lies of shorts or anyone else. If he needs some hard knocks of the gavel to get this simple precept through his skull then so be it.

If it had been just over "funding secured", he would have won.

A highly dubious contention IMHO.

Reactions: Barklikeadog
As I said in the other thread, are there any lawyers here? In my opinion as an investor, Musk's 'around 500k' statement wasn't material.

We should file an amicus brief to the judge saying that, and saying that the SEC's overreactions to trivialities are hurting investors. Might also be worth noting that the SEC has ignored blatant, provable lies being published by short-sellers.

But a lawyer who knows how to file amicus briefs would have to lead this.
Regrettably not me, but would be happy to contribute.

It seems to me that Mr. Musk is one of those people who do not like others telling him what he can and cannot do. That is just too damn bad. Elon Musk is but one person--brilliant, sure. Visionary, sure. Extraordinary, sure. But those qualities do not give him carte blanche to do as he pleases however he pleases.

We all deal with people and institutions that we do not like or that we disrespect. The reasons are irrelevant. But most of us will go along because in the long run it is easier, less stressful, or the right thing to do. That is what mature adults do. Defiance is what adolescents and immature adults do.

It is not clear to me whether he violated the express terms of the agreement or the spirit of the terms of the agreement. The fact that he finds the SEC abhorrent is not germane. His mentioning that he respects the justice system is disingenuous to rationalize the fact that he settled. Personally, I do not think Mr. Musk respects anything that is contrary to his vision and how he wants to accomplish it.

I do not think that the internal problems we have discussed on this site with Tesla Motors Company and Mr. Musk's pugnacious attitude towards the SEC are coincidental. They have the same roots.

Reactions: glide and OPRCE
Not a lawyer, but I am a CEO and have been at more than 1 company (translation: I know what 'material information' is and what can/can't be shared.

1. Investors here on TMC are probably all savvy enough to have educated themselves on the earnings call where Elon said "350-500,000" but there's many investors out there (especially smaller ones) who wouldn't have picked up that detail and who only saw Elon's Tweet of "around 500,000". Even then it would be normal to believe that the more exact "around 500" was a narrowed refinement of the earlier EC statement

2. It's stretches imagination to equate the range "350-500" to "around 500". If you were invited to a party that started "somewhere between 7.00-10.00pm" you'd have to take a guess what the actual time would be; if you were told that the party started "around 9.00pm" that's much more material to your decision making

3. Elon effectively admitted the error by issuing a correction following a post-Tweet review

4. So what if it was after hours, there's after hours trading

5. Under normal circumstances this wouldn't be a big deal, but Elon had made an agreement and he broke it

6. The "zero in 2011" was also demonstrably false btw. (E.g.see my 2011 Tesla in my sig pic)

This is a self-inflicted wound, the SEC (love them or hate them) is strictly following the letter of the law and Elon violated his agreement; I don't get why he Tweets stuff like that, it's not needed, it gets him into trouble and helps no-one. Elon's way smarter than most of us, he should just drop the Twitter self-harm and carry on being an everyday genius.

Is this only about tweets or all communications? Elon did an interview last week where he basically declared FSD is ready to go this year. that seems like an important material statement.
Does this fall under the umbrella? Did Tesla say: You can go out and announce this! *shrug*

All communications which can be reasonably construed as liable to affect the company's valuation must be pre-approved by the lawyers and yes, the ARK podcast projections re. FSD would fall under the same agreed rules, it's just that the SEC have not yet pulled him up on that one. Give them a little time to catch up with all his infractions!

All communications which can be reasonably construed as liable to affect the company's valuation must be pre-approved by the lawyers and yes, the ARK podcast projections re. FSD would fall under the same agreed rules, it's just that the SEC have not yet pulled him up on that one. Give them a little time to catch up with all his infractions!

https://www.law.upenn.edu/journals/...ue2/Padfield10U.Pa.J.Bus.&Emp.L.339(2008).pdf

tldr; grey area legally, puffery isn’t always material. Skip to the end of the article and read the survey questions, they’re phrased to make you think about what is material to stock purchase decisions.

Reactions: OPRCE
I particularly liked this bit:

"Like Freedom of Speech is fundamental."

whereby Musk betrays that he believes in the settlement to have fooled SEC into accepting some meaningless signed slip of paper and a $40M bribe to buzz off, allowing him to get right back to exercising his beloved FoS as he alone deems fit.

Methinks he will shortly discover that pacta sunt servanda (Latin for "agreements must be kept") is in this case much more fundamental and that his spontaneously conjured memes will not be allowed to trump the law.

https://www.law.upenn.edu/journals/jbl/articles/volume10/issue2/Padfield10U.Pa.J.Bus.&Emp.L.339(2008).pdf

tldr; grey area legally, puffery isn’t always material. Skip to the end of the article and read the survey questions, they’re phrased to make you think about what is material to stock purchase decisions.

Thanks, will have a read of that!

Off the top of my head though, given that he was speaking on an investors' podcast with people dedicated to relentlessly and wildly pumping Tesla's stock [to $4,000 IIRC], he should have erred on the side of caution and obtained pre-approval for any new technical information or projections he was prepared to announce.

That is what would be expected of a prudent and sober CEO who abides by his own agreements and court rulings, which is the standard to which it looks increasingly likely he is going to be held, regardless of his puerile resistance.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: WarpedOne
Not a lawyer, but I am a CEO and have been at more than 1 company (translation: I know what 'material information' is and what can/can't be shared.

1. Investors here on TMC are probably all savvy enough to have educated themselves on the earnings call where Elon said "350-500,000" but there's many investors out there (especially smaller ones) who wouldn't have picked up that detail and who only saw Elon's Tweet of "around 500,000". Even then it would be normal to believe that the more exact "around 500" was a narrowed refinement of the earlier EC statement

2. It's stretches imagination to equate the range "350-500" to "around 500". If you were invited to a party that started "somewhere between 7.00-10.00pm" you'd have to take a guess what the actual time would be; if you were told that the party started "around 9.00pm" that's much more material to your decision making

3. Elon effectively admitted the error by issuing a correction following a post-Tweet review

4. So what if it was after hours, there's after hours trading

5. Under normal circumstances this wouldn't be a big deal, but Elon had made an agreement and he broke it

6. The "zero in 2011" was also demonstrably false btw. (E.g.see my 2011 Tesla in my sig pic)

This is a self-inflicted wound, the SEC (love them or hate them) is strictly following the letter of the law and Elon violated his agreement; I don't get why he Tweets stuff like that, it's not needed, it gets him into trouble and helps no-one. Elon's way smarter than most of us, he should just drop the Twitter self-harm and carry on being an everyday genius.
I always say that genius and crazy share a property line. Elon straddles that line perfectly.