Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second PW Installation Cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If so, then why are they making a distinction of power from the Powerwall versus power from solar? Since in either case you can exceed 10 kW going to the grid

Thats the line that utilities draw on "residential" vs "large scale". Maybe they need to re examine it, but I am sure their data shows how much a "typical residence" draws. If you are above that amount, you are considered "large scale" so then you have things like paying $800 for the interconnect paperwork vs whatever they charge "residential", and sometimes additional meters installed so they can make sure you are not trying to turn into a utility yourself :p

I don't know. I'll ask my neighbor who went through the same process with 3 PWs. Something made his system a much bigger deal than my 2 PW system with the same building department, utility and Tesla installing both.

Please do. A big hassle my dampen my desire to install a 3rd powerwall. Right now, with the 2 I have doing so well, I would love to get a 3rd.

Please do. A big hassle my dampen my desire to install a 3rd powerwall. Right now, with the 2 I have doing so well, I would love to get a 3rd.
Well I talked to them and they are in a bit of a dark place on why they have been placed into a penalty box with three PWs too. Technically their installation, that was done about 2 months ago, is still not done. Why? They needed an additional meter from PG&E to monitor the PW system. Nobody at Tesla told them why but the installer just stated they needed it. Right now they are still waiting for PG&E to install the meter (there is a cardboard cover where the meter goes) and obviously they don't have a PTO yet either.

So the mystery still exists why PG&E requires this additional meter when you exceed two powerwalls and what the function the meter is supposed to provide.

If I were you I would ask Tesla some serious questions about what PG&Es role is with you having 3 PWs instead of 2 and how that might affect your rate plan or any other aspect of your PG&E relationship. You might want to also call PG&Es solar hotline and as them the same question. You might need to ask about the battery return power limits (ie 10 kW vs 15 kW), and see if they can tell you if there is a demark there.

It will be interesting to see what you find out.

Well I talked to them and they are in a bit of a dark place on why they have been placed into a penalty box with three PWs too. Technically their installation, that was done about 2 months ago, is still not done. Why? They needed an additional meter from PG&E to monitor the PW system. Nobody at Tesla told them why but the installer just stated they needed it. Right now they are still waiting for PG&E to install the meter (there is a cardboard cover where the meter goes) and obviously they don't have a PTO yet either.

So the mystery still exists why PG&E requires this additional meter when you exceed two powerwalls and what the function the meter is supposed to provide.

If I were you I would ask Tesla some serious questions about what PG&Es role is with you having 3 PWs instead of 2 and how that might affect your rate plan or any other aspect of your PG&E relationship. You might want to also call PG&Es solar hotline and as them the same question. You might need to ask about the battery return power limits (i.e. 10 kW vs 15 kW), and see if they can tell you if there is a demark there.

It will be interesting to see what you find out.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like I would better to get it all inspected, PTO received, and online with the 2 PowerWalls before i poke the 3 PowerWall bear with a stick. At least that way I will still be getting the service I paid for, just with a little bit less storage than desired.

I hope your friends can get out of the penalty box with Tesla/PG&E soon.

I’m in PG&E territory and I had 3 PWs installed earlier this year. There were other snafus that made getting my PTO take a few months. I was unaware that there was any difference between 2 and 3 PWs, so I didn’t question it at the time, but one of the PW installers said that PG&E requires a separate “NGOM” box “to ensure that I am only sending solar back to the grid, and not any energy from my PWs.”

Reactions: jboy210
but one of the PW installers said that PG&E requires a separate “NGOM” box “to ensure that I am only sending solar back to the grid, and not any energy from my PWs
Thats what I understood the issue to be but my neighbor did not have the "NGOM" acronym given to him. Thanks for the official lead on that.

And Googling that came up with this (which clearly states 10 kW or smaller).

https://www.pge.com/pge_global/comm...Paired-Storage-Frequently-Asked-Questions.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: jboy210 and gern