Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking first hand feedback on ContiSportContact 5P tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a staggered 21" setup now on my P85 with 21x10" rear wheels and 21x9" front wheels. As soon as I run through my low cost set of Hankook V12 tires in 245/35/21 front, 285/30/21 rear I plan to go to a better tire. Since I can't get Michelin Pilot Super Sports (PSS) due to sizing I am either going to go with PS2s which I have experience with and know to be great for summer/track performance or I am thinking about Continental ContiSportContact 5Ps. Based on the specs it sounds like they might have some good overall perf trade offs somewhat like the PSSs. Has anyone tried them yet? Any comparison between them and ExtremeContact DW (OEM for P85) or Michelin PS2 or Michelin PSS?

My feeling on the OEM DWs was that they had surprisingly good grip given all the compromises but felt like they lost grip and even the sidewalls collapsed a bit in hard acceleration while turning. I'll never know because they don't offer a staggered setup that works for me anyway. Sounds like the 5Ps are stickier at the expense of wet/cold performance. I like that trade off for my specific situation. The 5Ps cost more than PSSs and less than PS2s but not enough to less to choose them over PS2s if they have higher rolling resistance or less stickiness.

Any hands on feedback would really be appreciated. Thanks!

I just put contisportcontact 5Ps on my sig P85. My staggered setup is the similar to yours 9" 245/35 r21 front and 285/30 r21 rear. This replaces OEM Conti 21s. First impression is I like them, but they have only been on a couple of hundred miles and I haven't had a chance to push them hard. Also a few confounding factors. At the same time I got the Tesla camber bolt adjustment to bring camber down to -1.6 from -2.3, they also tweaked front and rear toe, and on the efficiency front energy use has been high due to anomalous cold weather in the Bay Area.

I'll post again when I've had a chance to push the new set up back to back with my wife's stock P85. She has the Conti DWs and almost certainly the stiffer bushing that started on P85+ and then trickled down to the masses;) It was the more controlled feel of her car that started new down the path playing with wheels and tires.

I should also note I got a P85+ loaner while Tesla adjusted the suspension and I didn't miss the loaner as much as I usually do when I got my car ;)

Also let me know how you like the Hankooks over time.

Thanks, Kauai! Sounds like your experience is exactly the feedback I was looking for. Definitely "suffering" from the same issue as you with my very early P85 with the bad bushings. The stagger setup has helped...

I may try the 5Ps next depending on what happens with PSS availability in 245/35/21. If they have the fronts in that size I will try my stagger setup with 245/35/21 front and 295/30/21 rear.

I am actually pretty happy with the Hancock V12s but could probably use a bit more stickiness. Here in the bay area weather robustness vs stickiness/performance trade offs are more easily tilted in the direction of summer performance. Nice to see the number of choices in a 21" stagger selection is growing.